MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Buck

Mac7

Had a few chances at smaller bucks the last 2yrs, but held out for one bigger. Only to go home with tag soup. Figured this year I'd shoot the first legal buck. He's not a giant but I'm happy with him, after four days of hunting he's the first buck I saw.

Attachments

• Idaho Deer Oct. 2011 024.jpg
    Idaho Deer Oct. 2011 024.jpg
    89.8 KB · Views: 525
A little more info on the hunt. Had a chance at a bear the day before I shot the buck. I'm not much of a bear hunter but my daughters think a bear rug would be cool. So I have this bear close in thick brush and I can see the head and front half, the head looks big but the bear looks small(it was standing in a hole). So I'm going back and forth between bino's and rifle trying to decide if I should shoot or not. I take a few steps to get a better view and the bear bolts and I see he was big by my standards. I follow for a while but never see it again.

Sleep in the cab of my truck, that was fun trying to sleep. Get up with a plan to go where I thought the bear might be headed and where I had some info about a buck or 2 spotted during bow season. I head out the ridge seeing some bear sign.I get to the ridge top in the background of the buck pic in the first post and jump him at 40yds. He doesn't stop till 393yds and I miss (more than once ), tell myself to calm down, he stays put and I'm able to put him down. It was my first animal for my 257wby shooting a 100gn tsx wish I would have taken better pics of the entrance but thought of it after I had the shoulder off. Also wish I would have looked at the bullet path and insides to see what all it did. Not sure what the bullet did in there but I thought it came out lower than it should have, the shoulder blade had the entrance hole at the top. Will have to pay more attention next time. Here are pics entrance first exit second.

Attachments

• Idaho Deer Oct. 2011 026.jpg
    Idaho Deer Oct. 2011 026.jpg
    76.2 KB · Views: 388
  • Idaho Deer Oct. 2011 019.jpg
    Idaho Deer Oct. 2011 019.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 381
Congrats Mac, I'm planning on breaking in my new roy tomorrow, Hopefully with the same result.

GOHUNT Insider

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Otto247
Back