Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho bill H0032 any info?

Lawnboy

I just saw this posted on Facebook. It looks like the bill in general is to increase some resident tag fees which more than likely is necessary since most F&G departments are strapped. Supposedly though there are a bunch of attached riders allowing more private land tags and selling of tags.

For those in the know why are legislators allowed to attached a rider to a bill? Seems a good bill can quickly become tainted by all the extra nonsense. Another question is if the bill doesn't make it because the riders kill it then does the whole thing fall apart? In this case the F&G would then not have a chance for the increase?

Sorry I'm uninformed on the whole process.

I just saw this posted on Facebook. It looks like the bill in general is to increase some resident tag fees which more than likely is necessary since most F&G departments are strapped. Supposedly though there are a bunch of attached riders allowing more private land tags and selling of tags.

For those in the know why are legislators allowed to attached a rider to a bill? Seems a good bill can quickly become tainted by all the extra nonsense. Another question is if the bill doesn't make it because the riders kill it then does the whole thing fall apart? In this case the F&G would then not have a chance for the increase?

Sorry I'm uninformed on the whole process.

How a bill becomes law is one of those foggy things from way back in my high school government class, so I don't know much about riders and that other nonsense. However, fees are set by statute http://legislature.idaho.gov/idstat/Title36/T36CH4SECT36-416.htm, so if this goes down I think F&G is stuck with the same fee structure.

Amendments can be added, and in some cases, it can actually help a bill to pass. In other cases, amendments will make a bill very unlikely to pass.

The amendment game is played all the time...its a sword that cuts both ways, and IMO should be used appropriately.

The one thing that bothers me about amendments is, they could largely be avoided if there was some pre-decisional involvement prior to the bill being introduced.

Clean legislation is the way to fly, if possible.

ISCAC has been emailing it's member organization about possible add-ons to HB 32.

Here's part of the emails:

Expect add-on’s
1. Bonus points
2. Govs auction tag implementation
3. Maybe, LAP

Just keep this stuff in mind the next time you get to vote; we have a lot of legislators in this state that like to play armchair biologist, listen to the fringe, sell out to big money and hold our agencies under their thumb. Also be sure to take your opportunity to contact them and let them know your thoughts before they get a chance to vote on these bills, a bunch of emails or phone calls may just pay off.

As of about 2 hours ago this bill was still unscheduled and is waiting to be heard by the House Resources and Conservation Committee. The bill can be amended before going past this point and would still need to be voted on by the full house before working it's way through the Senate. The troubling part of this is there may be legislators who will stall the bill unless the commission agrees to the landowner tags and points. Idaho law allows for points and landowner tags now. Some members of the legislature are upset that even though they made points and landowner tags law the fish and game commission has listened to public input and not implemented the changes. Because the bill has not been amended and it doesn't have to be to make most if not all the listed changes (I think the commission can set the amount of governor's tags but I don't remember) it is very possible that instead of changing the bill these legislators will force the commission to make the changes or they will stall the bill and defund F&G until they have to give in. We seem to be in the middle of a power struggle between the wealthy landowner controlled legislature and the increasingly public run fish and game commission.

We seem to be in the middle of a power struggle between the wealthy landowner controlled legislature and the increasingly public run fish and game commission.

One of the best lessons that the overly-zealous power brokers got in the history of the West is when their hired guns almost got burned out and massacred at the TA Ranch outside of Buffalo, WY.

The Townsfolk, tired of the heavy-handedness of the cattle barons, turned out and surrounded the "regulators" who had been murdering sheep ranchers and homesteaders under the guise of bringing rustling under control.

The cattle barons eventually had to call in the Cavalry just to save their hired guns from being blown to bits.

Now, I'd never suggest violence as a political tool, but I am a big fan of massive groups of citizens forcing the powerful to bend to their will.

Good luck and kick their butts.

We seem to be in the middle of a power struggle between the wealthy landowner controlled legislature and the increasingly public run fish and game commission.
Be happy that both are not controlled by the landowners like they are in Colorado.

Until reading this I was really for this bill now I hope it stops cold.

Those greedy mo...........!

The bill as written is fine and if enough people talked to their representatives to get the bill passed it would limit the amount of power the few agenda driven legislators have. If the bill is held our amended it's a good indicator that our legislators are willing to circumvent the public input commission process to drive their personal ideology.

Any kind of F&G fee increase is typically hard to get anyone to vote for. Some activist sponsor might be attaching it to something else to try to get it pulled through.

In the mean time, the legislature is crapping all over are gun rights this session. We're going to have to change the Idaho state seal to include the sickle and hammer if this non-sense keeps up. Even our state NRA field rep is flushing us down the toilet. Sad day indeed.

What's happening wrt gun rights?

They're trying to pass a bill that would eliminate the need for a concealed weapons license. The "constitutional carry" bill was introduced because a jackass former legislator that is ineligible for a concealed weapons license because of a felony conviction for attempted rape wants to still carry concealed.

Last edited:
They're trying to pass a bill that would eliminate the need for a concealed weapons license. The "constitutional carry" bill was introduced because a jackass former legislator that is ineligible for a concealed weapons license because of a felony conviction for attempted rape wants to still carry concealed.

You are COMPLETELY misinformed. Under HB89, anyone one who is currently ineligible to receive a CC permit, would still be ineligible to carry a concealed weapon. Moreover, convicted felons (such as the person in the case you cite) aren't allowed to possess weapons period. Permits are a completely moot point in such cases. You are just looking for an excuse to complain about expanded gun rights.

For those here who are truly interested, in Idaho we currently have a sort of hybrid system for concealed carry permits. Outside of any city limits, no permit is required to carry concealed on your person. The exception is for weapons inside your vehicle. They have to be in plain sight, or you need a CC permit. Of course a lot of rural people here carry and or leave weapons in their rigs. For example, I like to leave a scoped AR15 behind the seat of my truck for wolves, varmits, etc.

The problem is that many sheriff's departments are using concealed carry permits as a sort of mini cash cow. Under state law, they can tack on administrative fees for issuing CC permits. As such, prices keep getting higher and higher, and its more of a pain in the butt to get one each time.

The simple solution is just to eliminate the need for a permit all together, especially for vehicles in rural areas, but counties don't want to give up the revenue. They are essentially shaking gun owners down for money for the right to leave a gun in your vehicle, out of plain sight.

There has been zero transparency in our legislature with HB89 because none of them want to be seen as anti-gun, but they also want to keep the Sheriff's association happy. Dumb move, IMO, but it looks like we're going to continue to get screwed.

Those opposed keep claiming reciprocity could be endangered, which is absolute horse manure. Oregon is never going to give us reciprocity anyway. We don't need it in Wyoming. There is no way Montana or Utah are going to take reciprocity away, and it's unlikely Nevada would either. We've never traditionally had it in Washington state, and most people would rather give up reciprocity with WA, in exchange for true "constitutional carry" here at home anyway.

The NRA won't get behind HB 89 because they have some ongoing turf war with the organization that introduced it. Its a mess.

They aren't that hard to figure out. Idaho SFW has been pushing this stuff for years. Idaho SFW co chair is a guy named Jack Oyler he speaks to the legislature regularly claiming to represent sportsmen. He was also confirmed to the states sage grouse task force. He is partnered with legislators like Bracket and Boyle and Bedke. Anyone who thinks that's a coincidence or that SFW doesn't have more pull with the current legislature than all the groups in ISCAC has there head in the sand. Throw in a high fence hunting ranch owner from the Senate and a few senile old ranchers and it's a perfect playground for the SFW model. Hopefully this wakes a few people up.

We're going to need Idaho Sportsmen to show up at the legislature if they try to push the amendment through.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back