MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Idaho Approves Year Round Wolf Hunts

Good for ID. MT is turning into a panzy bunch...

It's about the most effective counts and quotas to aid specific areas, for conservation as a whole.

It's opportunistic for most as wolves are not a desired delicacy, least in this country, nor hold any qty of meat worth the freezer, and my wife can vouch, it's a time and $$$ sink. Basically, it's a wasted hunt for most (vs opportunistic) less those focused to hunt wolves. For those it's not a, "feel good" move especially for year round opportunity.

It's opportunistic for most as wolves are not a desired delicacy, least in this country, nor hold any qty of meat worth the freezer, and my wife can vouch, it's a time and $$$ sink. Basically, it's a wasted hunt for most (vs opportunistic) less those focused to hunt wolves. For those it's not a, "feel good" move especially for year round opportunity.
It's a "Hell yeah, now we'll thin them out" reaction from the same guys that will never hunt or trap them. Funny. mtmuley

Exact same happened to Montana and specific for NW Montana... FWP felt it of value to account for the Jay Mallonee's organized action to gain national outcry from those funding anti ESA wolf organizations city folk from NY, CA, AZ, etc to fund attacks against any pew pew towards wolves in Colorado, Montana, and yep... Idaho.

Sad...

Last edited:
It's a "Hell yeah, now we'll thin them out" reaction from the same guys that will never hunt or trap them. Funny. mtmuley

Hard to find stats on quantity of wolf tags purchased in Idaho. Maybe someone else has #'s though for sake of funding... 2017 had $380,000 gained from wolf tags sold. That's a whoop-load of tags sold. Funny though a valuable funny for FWP license funding and to offset payment for loss of stock, etc...

Screenshot_20200221-194747.png

Hard to find stats on quantity of wolf tags purchased in Idaho. Maybe someone else has #'s though for sake of funding... 2017 had $380,000 gained from wolf tags sold. That's a whoop-load of tags sold. Funny though a valuable funny for FWP license funding and to offset payment for loss of stock, etc...

View attachment 128827
About 60k wolf tags in 2018 in Idaho. 22k sportsman’s tags, 36k resident tags and 6k non-res.

60k wolf tags sold @ 13$ a piece? That's resident price approx... $780k! Blows MT out of the water.
NR I believe is $30 approx.

Doesn't include the $ within the Sportsman's Combo that include wolf.

Bet that hits the funny bone of IDFG coffers. :)

I'd imagine that volume of $ will reduce over time though still... That's a good load, even at 1/2 that value.

60k wolf tags sold @ 13$ a piece? That's resident price approx... $780k! Blows MT out of the water.
NR I believe is $30 approx.

Doesn't include the $ within the Sportsman's Combo that include wolf.

Bet that hits the funny bone of IDFG coffers. :)

I'd imagine that volume of $ will reduce over time though still... That's a good load, even at 1/2 that value.
It’s not quite that much. Wolf was added to the sportsman’s tag with no price increase. 42k at $13 is ~ $550k.

I told my kid I’d need a bank loan to buy my 30 wolf tags a year.

Comparing ID 2018 w/ MT 2017:

MT:
17k tags sold for $380k $20 per tag (R)
42k tags sold for $550k $13 per tag (R)

Wonder if year round wolf hunting and a boost in tag availability will boost sales or dilute the interest and reduce.

Would be curious the difference between MT and ID tags sold.
More hunt area affected by wolves in ID causes more wolf tag purchase?
Aside from outskirts of GYE MT and Root, and NW MT, pretty sparse interest in wolves. A problem those affected by wolves face.

It doesn't seem to matter the qty of tags available. Most I ever have during any given season is 2. Though?

Something I'll have to ask one of our FWP House members. See if they've discussed the comparison.

I wish Idaho would give an incentive for shooting a wolf. I hate bonus point schemes and preference point ponzi rackets but suggest get a preference point in draw if shoot a wolf capped at 3 points. Extra chips just for wolves. But then in a few years they could try squaring it for all the unhappy wolf hunters who are doing something about an apex predator and not getting the elk tag they want. Hopefully Idaho never goes down this rabbit black hole with points or preference. I guess just pricing people (kids) out is a way to avoid schemes. I do wish they could get rid of 80% of the wolves. Maybe send them to the suburbs and metro areas in Colorado.

Boys i was late to party with these changes but i am happy! I have never harvested a idaho wolf but buy a tag every season because i see them or hear them nearly every trip (spend 30-40 days annually in idaho over 3 or 4 trips). The only other camp near me killed one elk opener last year and seem to get atleast one every fall. I dont like it for the limit change(15 per limit? I dont even know 15 guys who have ever killed one legally) so no real impact there other than maybe trappers. I do like 3 other things; idaho listened to residents first and foremost! 2, i might be mistaken but i think electronic calls were limited to wilderness before now they are allowed everywhere(will have impact) and 3, they changed season dates to basically year round in most zones( will have impact). Heading back to the ho in 3 weeks bear and WOLF hunting! May plan a mid summer wolf hunt/elk scout trip now also...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Higbee
Back