Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Idaho 2021 Moose, Sheep, Mtn Goat regs out

Drew moose 12-3 in 1995. A friend drew too, we paid the outfitter to pack our spike camp in for 14 days. Partner shot a 45" the 4th or 5th day. I passed on several bulls in that range and didn't fill. Real Wilderness hunt. Saw a Lynx and watched it for several minutes.

Last year for 12-3 - only 5 put in for 2 tags.
Unit 54 - 290 put in for 3 tags.

Last edited:
Sheep or Goats? Sheep or Goats? Hunts I'm considering applying for have about an 6 to 10% draw chance. I've never had a goat tag in my pocket...

Unfortunately 12-3 The first year of wolf reintroduction is not the 12-3 of today.
Lots of things have changed on moose.

Oofda. 54 incher shot in 12-3 last year. Big Shiras. Might swing some stats
Despite two tags a year, that is the first moose shown taken in that hunt area since 2015 (note - 2017 data appears incomplete). Unless you hunt the area for other species and know where a good bull was last year, that would be a heck of a tough, and likely unproductive, hunt. It is a neat area though.

Units 10, 10a, 12 - nearly all hunts have a 20 - 50% drawing odds for both res and non-res.
Great draw odds but super tough hunts unless you know the area well. I drew the NR tag for 10a-2. There was nothing easy about this hunt.

I just applied today for sheep, since I have to sit out year for elk. I applied my wife and daughter in for moose. Chances are if my wife draws, she will mentor the tag to one of my other kids.

Do you mean transfer the tag to one of your kids?
I don't think you can do that any longer for OIL species.

I’ll be in for moose again. Swapping units this year from terrible odds to just bad

You are correct. I thought you could still do it. Looks like if my wife draws, she will be hunting moose.
Yeah... you can blame me for that. I watched a couple of 17 year olds put in for sheep. They put themselves in, their moms, their dads, stepparents, grandparents, step grandparents... Their dad's were there paying the bill of thousands of dollars and laughing about how they would likely end up with a tag. Imagine getting over 10 entries in a sheep draw. The rest of us in line felt like that was a trend we were not going to put up with the rest of our lives on coveted tags. I raised hell at the fish and game office. They agreed.

Last edited:
Yeah... you can blame me for that. I watched a couple of 17 year olds put in for sheep. They put themselves in, their moms, their dads, stepparents, grandparents, step grandparents... Their dad's were there paying the bill of thousands of dollars and laughing about how they would likely end up with a tag. Imagine getting over 10 entries in a sheep draw. The rest of us in line felt like that was a trend we were not going to put up with the rest of our lives on coveted tags. I raised hell at the fish and game office. They agreed.
I agree with you. I think it gives some an unfair advantage, but as long as the programs in place I'm going to use it to my kids advantage.

When did you raise hell with fish and game. I don't know what year they did away with it for Moose, goat and sheep.

I agree with you. I think it gives some an unfair advantage, but as long as the programs in place I'm going to use it to my kids advantage.

When did you raise hell with fish and game. I don't know what year they did away with it for Moose, goat and sheep.
I don't remember which year it was. I actually supported the idea at the spring meeting it was proposed. As a parent if circumstances dissalowed me to hunt a tag but my kid could go, I would love to let them have it. That being said I don't think anybody forsaw abuse like that going to happen. When I talked the the commissioner and officers about what I witnessed they all were shocked and agreed that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Getting nervous 😂 annual dilemma goat or deer and elk. I usually go goat and for some reason think I will draw ha ha.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samcarp
Back