ID: rootin, tootin, & shooting

T Bone

Just returned from the annual deer hunt in our native Idaho.

This year I had my newest hunting partner, my youngest son age 10. Idaho does a great job promoting youth hunters with young ages and either sex tags. Even as non-residents, the youth tags are very affordable.

We hunt general season unit 56. Low rolling sage, brush, and quakies with some water. Deer herds appear to be doing extremely well. Other than the 80's, we saw more animals this trip than any other time.

My Dad was the founder of this family hunt, but he found himself on the operating table in one last effort to keep him out of a wheel chair (old spinal injury). His presence was missed.

Camp was made

We went hunting. My 10 year old William packed his 30-06 stuffed with down loaded 125 grainers. My 13 year old daughter carried her deadly little 7-08 shooting 120 grain BT's. I was armed with bino's. The plan was if we saw a big buck, I would steal one of their rifles.

We took naps

Excellent shooting opportunities came up in short order for William. He missed...many times. :)

After watching her little brother miss a few times, my daughter decided she was ready to pull the trigger. We spotted a bedded deer. Stalked to 180 yards, and waited for the doe to stand. She wouldn't stand......we were losing light so she decided, "I'll just shoot in the back of the head, Dad". This girl can shoot. If I didn't see it, I wouldn't believe it.

The best called shot, I've witnessed in my lifetime. True story.

That nap picture made me laugh, much like many hunts with my girls.

Great shooting by the young lady!

With deer almost in every stand of trees and brush, William soon had his opportunity. At 80 yards he made the perfect shot and folded up his first deer.

We put the deer on ice. It's Daddy time. I hunted hard for two days to find a big buck, but couldn't lay eyes on anything good. I found one area that had some big deer tracks, but couldn't locate him. With ice and time running low, we said goodbye to Idaho. Til next year.

**note, if anyone wants to know particulars of the area to take kids to, I'll gladly share. It's perfect for new hunters. There are lots of deer. Lot's of hunters. Lot's of illegal ATV'ers, but they really don't hunt, they just ride around. The deer seem to be handling the ATV pressure just fine.

Last edited:
Priceless, absolutely love these type of threads. Great job getting the next generation out!! And Congrats to the youngsters on your trophies!!

Hope your dad is doing well, T Bone. Looks like you had a great trip regardless.

Ditto in what Terry said. Nothing beats having kids along on a hunting trip. Heck my boy is 25 and he is still MY BOY! Congrats to the Dead-Eyes! John

Absolutely priceless! Way to get the kids involved in the outdoors. Love the picture of the tent and the kids shadows.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newhunter2
Back