PEAX Equipment

ID nonres sheep/Moose/Goat apps?

Khunter

So who will be in as a nonres for ID sheep draw?

The crazy-high nonrefundible fees to apply for MSG and the exceptionally poor odds for sheep are enough to keep me out for sheep. Moose was more reasonable odds/cost ratio but sheep…

Are you a nonres planning to apply for ID sheep? I am as committed as most to throwing good money after bad on lottery odds draws with significant nonrefundable fees but not wrapping my mind around doing it for ID sheep.

The crazy-high nonrefundible fees to apply for MSG and the exceptionally poor odds for sheep are enough to keep me out for sheep. Moose was more reasonable odds/cost ratio but sheep…

Are you a nonres planning to apply for ID sheep? I am as committed as most to throwing good money after bad on lottery odds draws with significant nonrefundable fees but not wrapping my mind around doing it for ID sheep.
I’m in!! If I am going to ever get to hunt sheep(don’t think I will), I have to keep hammering with the check book.

Edit: and I mean a lower 48 rmbh or desert tag unguided. The rest is an expensive vacation

I end up going back and forth on Idaho depending on how the other draws are doing. In the past I've always applied for mountain goat but I think only 2 or 3 tags go to nonresidents for the whole state so the odds are pretty poor.

Used to be in for mountain goat in Idaho. Drew that in Utah so now am able to put in for sheep. Definitely in.

Hope HTers draw!

Having drawn sheep and goat a couple times in Colo does tend to temper my desire to throw away close to $300 for ID sheep. Otherwise I might apply. I giuess I an conflicted on it this this thread. LOL

Hope HTers draw!

Having drawn sheep and goat a couple times in Colo does tend to temper my desire to throw away close to $300 for ID sheep. Otherwise I might apply. I giuess I an conflicted on it this this thread. LOL
Yeah if I had drawn Montana(home state) big horn no way I would apply lol.

It is $330.78 of nonrefundable fees.

The best odds are in the ballpark of 1/200, which will get you a shot at a tag that is similar to a Montana unlimited tag in terrain and sheep densities, but with way less competition. Or you can get about 1/500 odds at a hunt that will give you a very solid chance at a 180+ inch ram. This tag almost always is drawn by a NR, and there are now two this year. The rest of the tags are somewhere in between in regards to draw odds, kill odds and trophy quality.

I agree ID sheep is not a good deal, for $300+ bucks in raffle tickets (e.g. CO) you'll probably have similar or even better odds, and arguably a much better tag.

I agree ID sheep is not a good deal, for $300+ bucks in raffle tickets (e.g. CO) you'll probably have similar or even better odds, and arguably a much better tag.
Depends on the raffle, but the standard Idaho sheep draw (2022: 6 NR random tags, $230 cost, 1200 applicants) can be a MUCH better deal (per dollar) than many of the raffles.

Run the per dollar comparison and compare it to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society raffle (RMBS). RMBS raffled 1 tag and sold 7200 tickets in 2022 for $25 each.

Idaho is giving your about 3x the odds per dollar? But you give up the statewide freedom of the raffle tag of course.

If I were a NR, I would hunt another species in Idaho each season, bear, deer, elk or archery antelope, and put in for a S/M/G tag.

Depends on the raffle, but the standard Idaho sheep draw (2022: 6 NR random tags, $230 cost, 1200 applicants) can be a MUCH better deal (per dollar) than many of the raffles.

Run the per dollar comparison and compare it to the Rocky Mountain Bighorn Society raffle (RMBS). RMBS raffled 1 tag and sold 7200 tickets in 2022 for $25 each.

Idaho is giving your about 3x the odds per dollar? But you give up the statewide freedom of the raffle tag of course.
You are correct, I was recalling the RMBS raffle selling 3-4000 tickets a few years ago.

But the actual ID cost for NR with credit card fees is closer to $330 so that will buy you 13 raffle tickets, so that will get you about 1/550 odds. The average odds in ID are about 1/200, but the "best" (or at least hardest to draw) unit in ID (11) actually has closer to 1 in 500 odds (according to Toprut), so very similar in that case.

edit-Didn't see IdahoNicks post above when I wrote this.

Depending on your age applying for sheep in Idaho isnt a bad deal due to it not being a point state
If your younger you can build points and maybe one day ,not sure how point creep will be yrs from now though

Depending on your age applying for sheep in Idaho isnt a bad deal due to it not being a point state
Actually, your Idaho decision shouldn't depend on your age at all.

Deciding to jump in on Colorado MSG modified preference DOES depend on age. If you're young enough, I think that is $300/year that could be money well spent (just $300/year to get you to 3+3 points or so, then stop). And wiser money spent than $25 RMBS raffle tags.

Back