ID nonres sheep/Moose/Goat apps?

That's not really how it works statistically. The odds weren't 8%. They just seem that way, but a NR had way less than 8% chance of pulling that tag.

All the numbers are basically in one big hat. They start pulling. When 10% is met for NR, they are supposed to stop counting those. Except last year they never stopped and informed an extra dozen NRs they had a sheep tag....oops.

This is why our unit 11 tag almost always goes to a NR....so many NRs put in it often one gets picked before a resident.
Residents are in luck this year - two tags in 11.

Sheep here this year.

Not 11.

My theory over the years is to apply for the hunts with better draw odds.

Sing it - Anticipation...

Which odds do you guys believe are more correct, hunting fool or gohunt? Gohunt has a unit around 2.5% hunting fool around 0.5-0.6% for almost all of them. Reading the comments at gohunt, it looks like they may have a better idea of the odds. They also seem likely to be more accurate since they vary by hunt codes. Since it's capped at a hunt code level and combined total level, hunting codes with fewer apps should have better odds(since a hunt code is done once a single nr tag is pulled from that pool)
I was planning on putting in, but think I'll hold off now. The kids drew a few tags in NM, including F/IM Barbary, so at least we'll be hunting sheep this season.

Which odds do you guys believe are more correct, hunting fool or gohunt? Gohunt has a unit around 2.5% hunting fool around 0.5-0.6% for almost all of them. Reading the comments at gohunt, it looks like they may have a better idea of the odds. They also seem likely to be more accurate since they vary by hunt codes. Since it's capped at a hunt code level and combined total level, hunting codes with fewer apps should have better odds(since a hunt code is done once a single nr tag is pulled from that pool)
I was planning on putting in, but think I'll hold off now. The kids drew a few tags in NM, including F/IM Barbary, so at least we'll be hunting sheep this season.
NR Ram? If GoHunt is showing a 2.5% NR Ram unit in Idaho, you should ask for your money back for your insider subscription.

GoHunt just regurgitates the draw offs from IDF&G, and there’s been plenty of discussion about how there’s not a good way to mathematically model the ID NR system.

I am in for Moose. Expensive for the application but… after 20 years applying for moose in Utah and 10 in Colorado…my ID odds first year are better. Good luck everybody!

Which odds do you guys believe are more correct, hunting fool or gohunt? Gohunt has a unit around 2.5% hunting fool around 0.5-0.6% for almost all of them.
You are correct. I just reviewed all NR Idaho ram odds in GoHunt and Toprut, side by side. Gohunt is consistently showing 2-3x better NR ram odds than Toprut. Several units showing as high as 1.4%, 1.7%, 1.9%, 2.4%, 2.8% at GoHunt. But all NR ram hunt codes are 0.2-0.7% at Toprut.

The guy that heads GoHunt data & analytics only has a 2 year business degree from a community college (not joking). But his resume does say he focused on math/stats while obtaining that associates degree.

The Toprut guy also lacks a formal statistics education, but I'm inclined to believe that Toprut has more of the Idaho NR nuances modeled out correctly. I believe GoHunt is only handling this mildly better than the 3rd grade statistician putting together the charts at Idaho F&G showing 8%+ draw odds for many units.

Another possibility is that Idaho F&G (learning from AZ GFD) has a promotional contract with GoHunt. GoHunt NR ram draw odds of up to 2.8% are going to lead to many more $330 transactions than truth would dictate.

I have not reviewed GoHunt odds for NR moose and NR mt goat, but my guess is that you should divide all of those by 2-3 also.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back