Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

ID nonres sheep/Moose/Goat apps?

You are correct. I just reviewed all NR Idaho ram odds in GoHunt and Toprut, side by side. Gohunt is consistently showing 2-3x better NR ram odds than Toprut. Several units showing as high as 1.4%, 1.7%, 1.9%, 2.4%, 2.8% at GoHunt. But all NR ram hunt codes are 0.2-0.7% at Toprut.

The guy that heads GoHunt data & analytics only has a 2 year business degree from a community college (not joking). But his resume does say he focused on math/stats while obtaining that associates degree.

The Toprut guy also lacks a formal statistics education, but I'm inclined to believe that Toprut has more of the Idaho NR nuances modeled out correctly. I believe GoHunt is only handling this mildly better than the 3rd grade statistician putting together the charts at Idaho F&G showing 8%+ draw odds for many units.

Another possibility is that Idaho F&G (learning from AZ GFD) has a promotional contract with GoHunt. GoHunt NR ram draw odds of up to 2.8% are going to lead to many more $330 transactions than truth would dictate.

I have not reviewed GoHunt odds for NR moose and NR mt goat, but my guess is that you should divide all of those by 2-3 also.
The way nonresidents are getting curb stomped in western states their services might not be needed for much longer. Higher draw odds will give people hope. Hope makes people keep subscribing and applying.

You are correct. I just reviewed all NR Idaho ram odds in GoHunt and Toprut, side by side. Gohunt is consistently showing 2-3x better NR ram odds than Toprut. Several units showing as high as 1.4%, 1.7%, 1.9%, 2.4%, 2.8% at GoHunt. But all NR ram hunt codes are 0.2-0.7% at Toprut.
The one reason I lean toward Gohunt being more accurate is the cap at a hunt code level. I don't remember the exact numbers, but for example, there were hunt codes with 300 nr applications and some with 20 nr apps. If a tag is drawn in the hunt code w/300 apps, that's it, all other 299 nr apps are tossed out. If that happens in a few of the higher-demand hunt codes, which would be more likely to happen, it seems your odds could be significantly higher in a code with 20 apps. According to some comments I read over there, they run simulations to determine this.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back