MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

ID F&G's Proposal to Restrict Hunting from ATVs

Ithaca 37

Here are some questions and answers about the ATV proposed restrictions.

ID F&G's Proposal to Restrict Hunting from ATVs

Answers to the Most Commonly Asked Questions

The Idaho Department of Fish & Game is proposing to expand rules regulating the use of A TVs by hunters in a few selected units in southern Idaho. First adopted last year in Unit 47, these regulations are designed to address concerns expressed by many sportsmen. Concerns include: 1) hunts being disrupted by off-road travel, 2) habitat damage, 3) maintaining the "fair chase" aspects of hunting, 4) disturbance to wildlife, and 5) increased vulnerability of game and resulting low buck:doe or bull:cow ratios. The proposed regulation reads:

"Motorized vehicle use for hunting is restricted to established roadways open to motorized vehicle traffic capable of travel by full-sized automobiles. A full-sized automobile is defined as any motorized vehicle with a gross vehicle weight in excess of 1500 pounds. "

The proposed Units include: 32, 32A, 47,48,49,50,51, 58, 59, 59A, 70,73,72,75,77,78.

QUESTION: Will this regulation ban all use of
A TVs?
ANSWER: No, the proposed regulation only applies to the use of ATVs for the purpose of hunting. Other outdoor recreational activities (camping, sightseeing, berry-picking, etc.) will not be affected.

QUESTION: Will this regulation ban all use of ATVs during hunting season?
ANSWER: No, the proposed regulation will not ban all use of ATVs during hunting season. Hunters will still be able to use A TVs on established and open roads. The common practice of using A TVs on roads to save wear and tear on vehicles will be maintained.

QUESTION: Will hunters be able to use ATVs to retrieve downed game?
ANSWER: Yes, the proposed regulation will only apply to hunters actively hunting. Actively hunting is considered as chasing, driving, flushing, attracting, pursuing, seeking, following after or on the trail of, shooting at, stalking, or lying in wait for, any wildlife while in possession of a hunting weapon. Retrieval of game will be allowed under existing land management travel regulations. To reduce confusion among hunters, the Department recommends that no hunting weapons should be carried while retrieving game with the aid of an ATV. Additionally, the Department recommends that hunters, who wish to use ATVs to retrieve game, use them during mid-day to minimize potential disruptions to nearby hunters.

QUESTION: Will this regulation only apply to 4wheel A TVs?
ANSWER: No, the proposed regulation will apply to 3-wheel and 4-wheel A TVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trucks, and all other forms of motorized vehicles used for the purpose of hunting.

QUESTION: Are the US Forest Service or Bureau of land Management the only agencies able to regulate use of A TVs?
ANSWER: No, the Idaho Fish & Game Commission acting under Idaho Statute 36-104 can regulate method of take for game animals. Specifically, the code states: "... then it [commission] shall make a rule or proclamation embodying its findings in respect to when, under what circumstances, in which localities, by what means, what sex, and in what amounts and numbers the wildlife of this state may be taken."

QUESTION: Do ATVs and other forms of motorized vehicles have an effect on hunting and wildlife management?
ANSWER: Yes, numerous studies in Idaho and around the nation have shown that increases in motorized access can lead to a number of problems including: 1) habitat damage and/or avoidance of habitats near motorized routes, 2) increased susceptibility to harvest which can lead to low buck:doe or bull:cow ratios, and 3) disturb or disrupt other hunters resulting in conflicts. Restricting motorized access can maintain hunting opportunity, healthy wildlife populations, and reduce conflicts between hunters without the need for more restrictive hunting regulations.

I think it is a good start. I think it is basicly what everyone on here has been saying all along. Guess only time will tell now. If it were here, I would be in favor of it, and even though it is over there, I am in favor of it. It is only having the ATV rider act in a responsible manner.

I do have a question though. In many areas, a motorcycle or dirt bike may be taken on trails. How are they affected? If they have free reign on trails, then this all seems a little bogus. I ask this because a lot of trails here can be used with a dirt bike but not an ATV.

I let my opinion about this be known to the proper people at F&G and on the F&G Commission--"Additionally, the Department recommends that hunters, who wish to use ATVs to retrieve game, use them during mid-day to minimize potential disruptions to nearby hunters."---I don't think "recommends" is strong enough for the fat assed ATV crowd.
biggrin.gif

Other than that, this is a pretty good first step. Next step is to include other units and tighten up the restrictions on retrievel of game. More units are sure to be added because now the fat assed ATV crowd will flock into the units left open and the problems there will be worse than ever.
biggrin.gif

This is just a proposal, though, and has not been mandated yet, although there's a lot of support for it at F&G.

In all fairness I think one hunting unit in Idaho should be always be left open for ATV hunting. Let them tear around and crash into each other ruin the hunting as much as they all want.
biggrin.gif
See! In spite of what some here think, I'm in favor of multiple use.
smile.gif
I think they should allow year round overgrazing and clearcut the whole unit, too.
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
I laugh openly at this issue. If I ride my ATV dawn-dusk, I can ride any road or trail that is open. I am only restricted to the regulation if I decide to hunt in the process.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

This is a token gesture to appease a squeaky wheel.
You really don't have any idea how many riders are not hunters. True they don't ride early morning, but they do ride.

I would think a lot of recreational riders would not go out during deer or elk season. If they do, that is very rude. I doubt if they are the main problem during hunting season. These new rules seem like they will help a lot. Now a guy can walk in 3 or 4 miles in the morning before sunrise, and not have to worry about ATV's passing him up.Seems fair enough to me.

What do you think nonhunting ATV rider do during hunting season? Your right though, most don't ride early mornings.

Elkhunter to answer your question:

QUESTION: Will this regulation only apply to 4wheel A TVs?
ANSWER: No, the proposed regulation will apply to 3-wheel and 4-wheel A TVs, motorcycles, snowmobiles, trucks, and all other forms of motorized vehicles used for the purpose of hunting.

I see these type of restrictions going further and further, which is a good thing. I bet within a couple years most states will have similar regs.

Ten,

I don't think recreational riders will be packing guns.
That will be the acid test.
I have an atv, but I like this idea
smile.gif

I usually don't even take it hunting.
It would be nice for retrieval, but if thats the price I got to pay to not get run over way back on some ridge so be it.

The first time I heard this (last year) I wasnt in favor of it.
Then I read it again and relised it did just what many of us wanted.
It wont have much effect on many of the ATV owner I know.
The only thing I think should be different would be with retriving of game.
If it's a closed area ,keep it closed.
Then it will be real clear who is illegal and who is not.

WH,I dont agree with you that non-hunters are being rude to ride during hunting season.
It's public land open for all of us.
If you hunt as you say you do ,away from road's ,those folk's that are out to enjoy the outdoor's shouldn't have any effect on you.
If by chance they mess you up because you have picked a spot to close to a road ,that's your own fault.

I will agree it's rude if they know you are there and then mess with you.
Other then that I have no reason to want to limit other people's outdoor recreation.
More power to them,them more that are out there the more to help defend multipal use.

I can just see it already! Now all the ATV clubs and fat assed riders are going to be claiming this is what they wanted all along!
biggrin.gif
Of course, the idea was conceived and pushed by all the people who hate what they've seen the ATV crowd do to our hunting and the ATV riders fought it the whole way!
biggrin.gif
But when they've lost they're gonna be in favor of it!
rolleyes.gif

It's still not an official regulation, though, and there will be opposition to it at the F&G Commission meeting today and tomorrow. All we can do is keep our fingers crossed.
wink.gif

I didn't see anything in the proposal that acknowleged the fact that some people will hunt from their atv on privet property. If I want to take the atv across the ridge behind the ranch house, park it and hunt the creek bottom ID F&G is telling me I can't?

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-13-2003 10:33: Message edited by: brokfut ]</font>

Hmmmm, I guess if I decide to hunt on our ranch and they are saying I can't use it on my own property, then I will just lock all the gates and to friggin bad for the guys who we let cross our place.
I don't mind the restridtions on public ground. But I will do as I want on mine..

Oh hell, I see trouble on the horizon.

I just called the Idaho Falls fish and game office and asked how this would effect private ground, They said that yes it would because it is considered a method of take, the girl said that I should call back and talk to a guy who would know more on monday.

So I called the pocatello office
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

I got the complete opposite anwser to the same question. The girl stated that it would only apply to public ground and that they couldn't enforce it on private land
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
rolleyes.gif
mad.gif

That is about as I would expect from the IDFG!! the left foot has no clue where the right foot is steping..

Sounds like a good plan....Hopefully enforcing it will have enough teeth to encourage people to follow the rules. The "retrieval of game" leaves a large loop hole. But its a step in the right direction.

Maybe in a few years my spot in unit 50 will be worth going back to.

T Bone

So as Buzz said, He'll access OUR land anyway.

Buzz says, just traveling across the land is NOT hunting(poaching), so those poachers could say they weren't "hunting".

We all know as soon as ya leave the house, YOU'RE HUNTING. No loopholes. Whatever form of access retrictions are, you are hunting if you have the license. Why make it so f*ing complicated.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 03-13-2003 12:40: Message edited by: Lostagain ]</font>

Glad to see it. I'd asked F&G why the restrictions didn't apply to any units up north. They indicated that it would probably happen next year.

I happen to own an ATV and ride with my family and friens quite a bit. I ain't here to slam all ATV owners. I'd like to here from somebody that actually uses and ATV at hunting camp. What do you guys think of this planned restriction? I talked to two differrent commisioners about the retrieval aspect and am glad to see they have the retrieval available for those that need it. Pretty easy to see if someone is just retrieving an animal. If they have their weapon with them........

I haven't got a clear idea on the penalties as of yet though.

Back