Caribou Gear Tarp

I upset a feminist

I dont. I have a difficult time placing a gender on inanimate objects.

I have this theory that the reason English-speaking peoples (Brits, Merkans) have been de facto rulers of the world for the past few hundred years is because our language does not have gender on everything. People that speak these other languages have to always keep gender in mind when conjugating and forming sentences, gender that is often applied for no good reason (a pencil is masculine but a notebook is feminine - WTF?). Sure, as these other peoples - furiners, lets call them - grow up, they learn what things are feminine and masculine and it becomes a matter of memorization, but those microseconds of effort spent recalling whether or not to use masculine or feminine pronouns and conjugations, etc. add up. All that extra effort but forth on word gender by these furiners could have instead been put into becoming better at the colonization, exploitation, and subjugation - just plain winning, really - that we English-speaking people have mastered. I cant prove this theory, but I feel its accurate.

So, having said that, I feel that were I to start referring to vehicles in the feminine (or masculine, for that matter) then I am no better than some beret-wearing Parisian sitting at cafe muttering about stupid Americans while nibbling a croissant. I envy him his croissant (best pastry, hands down), but not his gender-based language.

The thing about grammatical gender is that to those who use it, it's not time-consuming or difficult to understand. It only seems that way because we don't deal with it in English. Those that do learn it in a context that makes it inherently logical to them.

Learning it as a second language is where it can be difficult, but even then you can start to see how 90 percent of gendered words in a language like Spanish follow specific, context-based "rules" that make gendering of a word sort of instinctive.

A Spanish or Portuguese speaking kid learns gender the same way an English speaking kid learns to use idiomatic expressions that non-English speakers can't grasp. Just as German kids learn to compound words into 46 letter behemoths that look ridiculous to non-Germans. It's all secondhand and instinctive if you're on the "inside" of the language.

The thing about grammatical gender is that to those who use it, it's not time-consuming or difficult to understand. It only seems that way because we don't deal with it in English. Those that do learn it in a context that makes it inherently logical to them.

Learning it as a second language is where it can be difficult, but even then you can start to see how 90 percent of gendered words in a language like Spanish follow specific, context-based "rules" that make gendering of a word sort of instinctive.

A Spanish or Portuguese speaking kid learns gender the same way an English speaking kid learns to use idiomatic expressions that non-English speakers can't grasp. Just as German kids learn to compound words into 46 letter behemoths that look ridiculous to non-Germans. It's all secondhand and instinctive if you're on the "inside" of the language.

This is why I speak paving operator profanity so fluently.

Europe, I totally agree with you. Do it all the time. You are not a dinosaur at all.

I have said that about many things: Car, Gun, etc.

I did not know what the 51 Manta Ray looked like. I had to google it. I consider myself more of a Dusseldorf and not a Manta Ray

Mine is an art that has to be practised daily in order to maintain top artistic form. This is the way handed down to me by generations of road construction workers before.
Relevant to April's thread and profanity - Was the woman I scorched for cutting in front me at the (long) cash register line this week bothered that I used epithets, took the Lord's name in vain, or questioned her intelligence? Maybe all three. I had never seen her before, and never will again. I can't tell you a thing about her character, but her actions sure set me off.

Stop crapping on my hypothesis.

I have this theory that the reason English-speaking peoples (Brits, Merkans) have been de facto rulers of the world for the past few hundred years is because our language does not have gender on everything. People that speak these other languages have to always keep gender in mind when conjugating and forming sentences, gender that is often applied for no good reason (a pencil is masculine but a notebook is feminine - WTF?). Sure, as these other peoples - furiners, lets call them - grow up, they learn what things are feminine and masculine and it becomes a matter of memorization, but those microseconds of effort spent recalling whether or not to use masculine or feminine pronouns and conjugations, etc. add up. All that extra effort but forth on word gender by these furiners could have instead been put into becoming better at the colonization, exploitation, and subjugation - just plain winning, really - that we English-speaking people have mastered. I cant prove this theory, but I feel its accurate.
1622750067202.png

Relevant to April's thread and profanity - Was the woman I scorched for cutting in front me at the (long) cash register line this week bothered that I used epithets, took the Lord's name in vain, or questioned her intelligence? Maybe all three. I had never seen her before, and never will again. I can't tell you a thing about her character, but her actions sure set me off.
Sometimes you just gotta keeps it real. 🤷‍♂️

I dont. I have a difficult time placing a gender on inanimate objects.

So, having said that, I feel that were I to start referring to vehicles in the feminine (or masculine, for that matter) then I am no better than some beret-wearing Parisian sitting at cafe muttering about stupid Americans while nibbling a croissant. I envy him his croissant (best pastry, hands down), but not his gender-based language.
My mind when I read this post.
1622750325766.gif

:love::ROFLMAO:;)

THANK YOU GENTLEMEN

I loved, laughed and smiled at your posts.

As some here know, one of my fathers favorite things to say about people he enjoyed being around was " he is a man you can run the river with" and I wish I could turn back the hand's of time and hunt, fish and/or share an adult drink with you fine gentlemen.

Several mentioned the car I referenced . One of the very few perks of getting old, is the things you have seen, done and spoke about before. That vehicle had been used as a reference point before. Even the Edsel and Studebaker have been "linked " together in conversations in past conversations. ;)

I have to let 2Rocky know that his posting of that tune, brought back some memories . My husband use to play that and tell the grandchildren that he was talking about their grandmother. As an aside he loved the lead song on that album as well. Who is going to fill their shoes.

Ken, email sent to Mrs Ken --post 40 and 54 ;)

You guys all earned some Boy Scout Badges today. You helped make an old woman's day brighter and I THANK YOU ALL :love:

p.s. Addicting, Panda. I agree and am guilty. I have used those words several times in my life : We ( or I ) are going to need a "full set" to pull this off and I am sure at some time in my life the words or thought "what a stud" entered my mind and crossed my lips ;)

I tend to only use the feminine to describe things or ideas that are beautiful, elegant or insanely dangerous. Oceans, mountains volcanos, planets, weather, ships etc..

These are all things that demand much respect. This isn't purposfully to objectify women; it's just that only a woman is powerful enough of an idea and the only logical way for men with limited comunication and vocabulary skills to describe or associate the emotions that we feel when looking upon such a thing.

One of my wife’s new friends came over to our house the other day. She ended up in my trophy room and got all butt hurt. Not at all the dead animals on the walls but because there was a stripper pole in there (long story). You woulda thought I was sex trafficking children or something! People need to lighten the hell up.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back