I saw a lion.

OK, here's the whole story.

I was headed out to check my traps, and wanted to get some calling in. Most of the places I trap there's always lion, and wolf tracks. Lots of preds all the way around. So I figure my chances are good for something to show up. The first spot is in a little opening where the mouth of a draw is located and that I have some traps in. As I approached the opening, I see one set of tracks headed up country, that are lion, one set of tracks headed down country that are wolf. So I set up for around a half hour, squeezing the rabbit. I figure if it's a predator, and it's hungry, I might get lucky.. Nothing shows up, so I check traps and head UP country. The next spot is fairly thick with an ancient old logging road. I climb the hill that overlooks the draw and the road so I have elevation. I sit with a slide rock hill on the down wind side, which is up the draw and behind me. I figure nothing would come from that direction (For me, that's usually opposite of what will happen). So I call off and on for 30 min. or so. Nothing shows that I can see. I have a big pack with all my trapping stuff, so I take the bullet out of the chamber of the rifle, so I don't kill myself, stand up to throw the pack on my back, and just when I do, I catch movement in that slide rock area, down wind and up hill from me ( where nothing should have came in at) busts out this lion, a mere 30 to 40 yards. I throw my pack off, call goes flying, (haven't' found it yet either) load my rifle back up, and start tracking the lion as he crossed the old logging road, and up the other side of the canyon. I hold on one single opening that I think he'll pass through. When he did the rifle went off. I was as surprised as he must of been that the bullet struck him. He went to spinning circles, and lost some elevation. As he did his spin he went into a thicket. I hurried down to the road where I had a better view of the hillside. Just then he gathered himself and headed up on a game trail. He slowed to a walk, looked down hill my way, and pow, DRT. (Always wanted to use that abbreviation).

I have called in and taken several lions before, and 3 with hounds. I have one entered in B&C all time recording. I think you have to be fairly close to call them, and maybe even where they want to go anyway.

I usually have the hide tanned up and bleach out the skull. I don't want to be a pig when it comes to lions, but we really need to thin them out in the West Fork of the Root.

Last edited:
Congrats that is plain awesome. West Fork is a permit area correct? I thought about putting in for one of these tags around here but do a lot of running around in other parts of the state and ended up just getting the general tag.

For Heaven's sake, you sure did! WOW. Awesome cat! (think you need to post all three of those cats of yours --- seems to me I have commented on your other lion posts too? will this one make the book?, it is HUGE)

I like the full story a lot better then the short version. That would be a dream come true. Big time congrats.

Just asking since I haven't hunted cats before and hopefully will be for the first time this coming year, What do you do with them after you harvest one? Is the meat edible and what does it taste like (like bear?)

That is really cool Robert, Congratulations on a great looking cat!! And to do it without dogs, too cool. (although, dogs are fun too!)

If we ever get some snow here in the boise area, I might have to try it, but until then, I will just keep reading all your stories.. Congrats on a big cat.

1.) This is really cool.

2.) Why is it you Bitterrooters can kill everything with teeth except wolves? ;)

Very nice! One question I have is what does one do with these things after getting them? Do you sell the skin or what? I'm just curious since we don't hunt them here in Minnesota.

One of the best wild game animals to eat in my opinion - don't knock it unless you've tried it.

For everyone wanting to know his secret call I think I just figured it out it goes something like this_ Here kitty kitty kitty Here kitty kitty kitty kitty You do this for about 30 minutes and if nothing comes in you move on to the next set up and repeat.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mowglimadness
Back