NEW SITKA Ambient 75

I need to practice on Elk now!

Gotcha! Just busting your chops a bit. Congrats on a successful hunt. You keep posting these kinds of pictures and I'm gonna start shopping for flights... ;)
Ha!:D
Yes, but i could post pictures of the empty fields i see when i am unsuccessful (happens on a regular basis) and then you might think twice about coming over:eek:
You might be disappointed, our biggest stag is still only about 1/2 the size of a bull elk!
No public land, so you would need to know a friendly Brit to show you around;)
Cheers
Richard

I missed this one, couple great looking stags! They seem like they'd be a blast to hunt.

Pardon my ignorance, what do you mean baiting?
Cheers
Richard

By asking a question, you have answered my question, I bet.

"Baiting" is the process of providing food for your quarry on a regular basis, to attract and hold them in an area, to concentrate them for the easier taking. In the way- way-back days the market hunters would spread out grain to attract waterfowl, and thus insure a bountiful harvest. If you were using a 4 gauge gun the practice would be to put your bait out in a line, you would wait until there was a long line of ducks eating along the bait line, and then let fly with the shotgun monster. Migratory fowl are no longer allowed to be taken using any form of baiting in the US.

In certain states it is legal to place bait out for attracting certain species of quarry. For deer and even turkey, corn, acorns, or other commercially prepared products are dumped onto the ground or more with more sophistication, periodically automatically broadcast. Baiting of bears includes all sorts of products thought to attract a bruin.....donuts, grains, fermented byproducts, bacon grease, etc.

I was just wondering if baiting as described is ever used in Great Britain, and if it is not, is it because it is prohibited, or because "it is just never done" (British accent optional)

Last edited:
OK, now i understand, on most 'shoots' where game birds are hunted the game keeper will put out feeders and spread wheat to attract and keep the birds in the area.
There are a few hunters who put out feeders for deer or mineral/salt licks, they are very much in the minority, i don't hunt my deer like this.

Randy, come on over and try for a red!

Thanks Southwind

Cheers

Richard

Ha!:D
Yes, but i could post pictures of the empty fields i see when i am unsuccessful (happens on a regular basis) and then you might think twice about coming over:eek:
You might be disappointed, our biggest stag is still only about 1/2 the size of a bull elk!
No public land, so you would need to know a friendly Brit to show you around;)
Cheers
Richard
Not seeing game is something I better at than most. I have little doubt that I would be disappointed. Hunting a new place is almost always a blast, even if the game doesn't cooperate. Being 1/2 the size would not bother me a bit. Elk on the ground lead to work... ;)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Wisco94
Back