Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

I Lost a Friend & Mentor

grizzly_

Growing up reading the hunting stories of Theodore Roosevelt, my friend traveled the world looking for adventure and wild places. Sadly, few of us will ever get to cross continents pursuing our passion of hunting big game. Even fewer will have the opportunity to test his fortitude while standing to face a charging bear. And of those of us that would stand tall, how many would hold his fire to try and spare the sow’s life and those of her cubs? I think not many. This particular sow stopped her charge at a few paces and retreated to her cubs, but the next charge had a much different outcome.

While tracking a large African lion, the old lion had gotten tired of the constant pursuit and had circled back to watch its trail. The hunting party never saw the lion until they heard the screams… but it was too late. Their tracker, Tsitebe, was already suffering a horrific mauling. If any of us were thrust into that situation, how many would run towards the mauling, raise his .375 H&H, and fire the shot that killed the lion and saved the tracker’s life? I’d like to think I would remain that calm, but I’m not so sure.

Earlier on that trip, shortly after landing in Africa for his 30-day safari, he found his luggage had been lost in transit. Wandering the local town trying to find something to wear, he ultimately was forced to hunt the entire safari in the little bit of clothing he could find in his size; a baby blue leisure suit (this was the mid-1970’s after all) and a pair of soccer cleats. Seeing the pictures of him with his elephant, hippo, Cape buffalo, leopard, and lion… all in a leisure suit and soccer cleats… is always good for a laugh.

While on this safari, he was paired up with another man from the States who acquired an infection and ultimately entered a coma during their hunt. Waiting as long as he could for his new friend to recover, he ultimately had to leave the man at a local hospital and return to his family. The afflicted man did recover and return home but sadly died shortly thereafter in a plane crash in Alaska.

He had many stories like this and now I have the terrible experience of hearing some of them at his funeral tomorrow, a man that I loved and have no doubt is responsible for my love of hunting and the outdoors. I owe him many debts that I could never pay back.

Thanks for everything Grandpa. I’ll see you on the other side.

That's tough, and I'm sorry for your loss. It sounds like he lived a full life for sure.

I well remember how hard it was for me when my grandfather died.

I'm truly sorry for your loss, hopefully the funeral will be a celebration of a live well lived, filled with stories like the ones you mentioned here. It sounds like your Grandpa certainly got everything out of life, maybe even a little extra. I'm sure there's a handful of people in Africa that still talk about the man in the blue suit and soccer cleats.

He left an incredible legacy. Inspirational account! Our hearts and thoughts are with you and your family.

Thoughts are with you- I remember losing my grandfather was tough. Special bond there, one you'll always cherish and remember fondly.

Sorry to hear of your loss; I think often of my own Grandfather and what he meant to me. Keep his stories alive for the following generations and in that way you'll keep him alive in your hearts and minds.

I appreciate and miss my grandfathers and father more since I became a grandfather. Nice share grizzly.

You have honored your grandfather well. We would do well to live our lives so that our grandchildren have fond memories of us.

Blessed are those to be touched by your grandfather. Thoughts and prayers to your family.

My his legacy live on in you and his other grandchildren.

So sorry for your loss. Sounds like he was a great grandfather to you and you shared some great experiences.

Yeah, very well written. Those of us who are lucky enough to have people like your grandpa in our lives should not take it for granted. So sorry for your loss. To leave a legacy that causes people to recall memories with a smile on their face is one of the most important goals a person can have. Sounds like your grandpa did that and more.

My love for hunting, fishing, and the outdoors in general was generated was my granddad as well. Never got to spend enough time with him away from the city --- I trust I've made him proud of the sportsman I've become. Happy to know your memories of your grandfather are punctuated with fond thoughts of his exploits afield (sounds like he was one special guy!) ...

Sorry for your loss. Sounds like he lived one heck of a life. The stories and memories will never get old.

Thanks for reading and all the thoughts and kind words.

I woke today to find a front page article in our newspaper, The Herald Journal, about the death of a "Cache Valley Giant." It was a nice surprise and a welcome tribute that reflects the positive influence he had on so many people.

The problem with losing a grandparent, and I know I'm not alone in learning this, is you don't realize in your youth what a gift you really had. It's not until they're gone that you realize the loss. It's a tough lesson to learn.

Thanks again for the kind words.

Last edited:
Sorry about your loss. Sounds like the man led a full and adventurous life. We should all be so lucky.

Back