MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

I have been hunting elk the wrong way

mtmiller

Another reason those "blue" plates piss me off.

MALTA, Mont. – Members of a Minnesota family that owns property in southern Phillips County have agreed to pay $50,000 in restitution and fines for illegal baiting of big-game animals, hunting without licenses and/or permits, outfitting and other wildlife-related crimes.

Albert “Will” Carlson, 67, owner of the Blue Ridge Ranch in the Larb Hills area south of Malta, and son Todd Anthony Carlson, 41, of the Minneapolis suburb of Inver Grove Heights, recently pleaded guilty to multiple misdemeanor charges in Phillips County Justice Court.

In total, the Carlson family was ordered to pay a total of $42,615 in restitution to the state of Montana and $7,385 in fines. Albert “Will” Carlson and Todd Carlson will forfeit their hunting, fishing and trapping privileges for three years in Montana and states involved in the wildlife violator compact. Another son, Troy Albert Carlson, 45, and Sandra Pearl Carlson, 49, also of Inver Grove Heights, will not be allowed to hunt in Montana for three years.

In addition, the family:
cannot accompany other hunters in the field during the period of their privilege revocations and/or suspensions;
forfeited any future right to work as licensed outfitters or guides in Montana;
forfeited any right to benefit financially from the sale of the outfitting business associated with their ranch property;
forfeited seized property, including a full-size body mount of a bighorn sheep and a trophy class, shoulder-mount bull elk.
In the fall of 2008, Dirk Paulsen, a Malta based field warden with Montana Fish, Wildlife and Parks (FWP), began investigating complaints of the Carlsons allegedly leading illegal elk hunts at baited sites within the ranch, which borders the Charles M. Russell National Wildlife Refuge and the U.S. Bureau of Land Management’s Burnt Lodge Wilderness Study Area.

Albert “Will” Carlson, who is not a legal resident of Montana, had arranged for a hunting outfitter to become his license sponsor, as well as his employer. The Carlsons then became licensed guides -- as well as clients -- under the outfitter.

This business arrangement opened the door for the ranch to have a steady supply of guaranteed, outfitter-sponsored hunting licenses that were then made available to Carlson family friends and business associates. In all, this resulted in about 40 out-of-state clients a year obtaining the licenses, as well as exclusive rights to hunt the Blue Ridge Ranch for trophy bull elk.

A search warrant from the Montana 12th Judicial District Court allowed Paulsen and fellow FWP Warden Mike Lee of Malta to use video surveillance of suspected baiting stations, which were strategically placed near elevated hunting stands on the ranch. The illegal baiting led to an artificial concentration of game animals near the hunters.

Further investigation revealed a variety of criminal violations, including the hunting of big-game animals without valid licenses and other outfitting-related infractions. Additional illegal luring, baiting and feeding of elk were documented through video surveillance.

Last October, other District Court search warrants were served on the Carlsons and their outfitter by wardens from FWP Regions 4, 6, and 7, as well as officers from the U.S. Bureau of Land Management, the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service and the Phillips County Sheriff’s Office. Information and evidence collected during the search led to dozens of other nonresident suspects in Minnesota and Wisconsin.

Evidence seized during the search included oats, salt blocks, trail cameras containing images of the hunters with illegally harvested game animals, outfitter records and licenses, among other items.

Misdemeanor criminal citations were issued to Albert “Will” Carlson and Todd Carlson for the illegal use of radios for hunting; the use of trail cameras for illegally tracking big game during the hunting season; hunting of game animals with the use of bait; feeding game animals; and soliciting the hunting of game animals with the use of bait, among other outfitting-related charges.

Earlier this year, Montana wardens went to Minnesota and Wisconsin and conducted nearly 50 interviews with hunters who were suspected of illegally killing or illegally possessing elk that had been taken from the ranch. The Montana wardens were assisted by officers from Minnesota and Wisconsin’s state wildlife agencies. Paulsen said charges are still pending against 11 out-of-state residents and the outfitter.

During the investigation, an illegal full-body bighorn sheep mount was also discovered in the Blue Ridge Ranch’s hunting lodge. An interview with a taxidermist in Minnesota led to him admitting that he’d prepared the mount for the Carlson family after the 2008 season, even though the taxidermist knew the animal was unlawfully possessed.

The Blue Ridge Ranch cases were prosecuted by Steve Gannon of the Chouteau County Attorney’s Office and Kathleen Jenks of the Montana Attorney General’s Office.

Albert “Will” Carlson, who is not a legal resident of Montana, had arranged for a hunting outfitter to become his license sponsor, as well as his employer. The Carlsons then became licensed guides -- as well as clients -- under the outfitter.

Figures. Seems like this crap has no end, here in MT. Wonder how many of our animals are actually being killed by poachers?

Guess it is easier to just blame everything on wolves. Glad FWP has stepped up the enforcement stuff the last few years. They seem to be finding a lot of these kind of activities.

What is going to happen to the outfitter, who MOGA will say is just one of the bad apples? I sure have been reading about a lot of "bad apples" in the MT outfitting community in the last few years. MOGA might be well served to clean up their ranks, for their own salvation.

I am surprised they only lost hunting priviledges for 3 years. Should be a good 10 years for that kind of racket.

I bet those guys out in WI and MN had their sphinters pucker up when they got a call from a GW in MT.:eek:

Found it odd the outfitter was not named in the release.

Agree with the others, it seems like the MT wardens are doing a good job finding and shutting down these outfitter problems.

ditto drahthaar's and others comment.

What gets at me... Misdemeanor's... ?

IMO, They should have done a slam on them for 20 years on the owner's of the property and arrange a plea deal for reducinig the loss of hunting privilages to 10 years with the requirement they open thier land to Block Management during that 10 year suspension...

Yeah, this is HUGE by comparison to one bighorn sheep killed during a sting, but we're not likely to see 150 post threads on all the outdoor-forums about "what a great job the FWP does" I dont think:rolleyes:?

I like this forum because there's obviously a few who do appreciate their efforts, which balances well with the many rednecks..(dink):D

_______

This is incredible though...
..Likely hundreds a trophy game animals poached over bait, and went on for over 2 years..? Illegal outfitting, use of radios, illegal taxidermy of wild game, over 40 nonresident poachers a year, over 50 trophy elk mounts..?

BUSTED by a Montana Game Warden based on a TIP....
Resulting in 50K in fines, convictions, loss of rights for years, loss of priveledges in other states too for dozens of poachers, and dozens of trophys confiscated!
________

FWP has thankless job for sure, I'm really surprised people even apply for such things; considering the pays meager too?
...But I'm glad they do!!!

(FYI - A certain trial is still on, and due to start on June 28th at the Chouteau County courthouse.)

Moe;)

This is total BS........that is a ridiculous fine for what they have done..............another reason that all the Outfitters should not be guaranteed tags. I mean come on, the one sheep alone should have got them strung up on a noose let alone all the rest of the animals. WAY TOO LIGHT ON THEM!! Its good FWP is cracking down on stuff but in a case such as this, they need to make an example out of them and show them a real penalty.

And the outfitter should be named, Miller, have he heard who it was?

This is total BS........that is a ridiculous fine for what they have done..............another reason that all the Outfitters should not be guaranteed tags. I mean come on, the one sheep alone should have got them strung up on a noose let alone all the rest of the animals. WAY TOO LIGHT ON THEM!! Its good FWP is cracking down on stuff but in a case such as this, they need to make an example out of them and show them a real penalty.

And the outfitter should be named, Miller, have he heard who it was?

I agree, fines not large enough.

My understanding is it never went to trial and was "settled out of court". I guess we can assume some high-paid lawyering was done on the defendents' part for low fines, and smaller than usual years' penalized.
Not FWP's doing of course, just more screwy MT court-system stuff:eek:?

Moe

I know zippo about law, but is there a way to get big-game violations "classified" on another level so that fines and penalties can be increased? I just see a guy paying $42000 in restitution and this isn't a felony? In the terms of my 5 y.o. quoting Monsters vs Aliens, "what the flagnog?"

http://billingsgazette.com/lifestyles/recreation/gazoutdoors/article_049150fc-62f7-11df-89a4-001cc4c03286.html

Gazette's story is nearlly cut-and-paste identical (as you'd expect in these blanket news releases; written as 'journalism'), but does mention the Outfitters' Name is Larry Olson

(3rd parapragh up from bottom of page)

Oddly, this is about the ONLY wording different from the Mtmiller article posted above and was for whatever reason simply not added at the end of the sentence, same paragraph:confused:??

Weird.

Moe:cool:

Glad they busted them, but three years is a frigging joke...

Of course you already knew the answer.:D

Attachments

• blue plate.jpg
    blue plate.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 1,466
Of course you already knew the answer.:D

I thought that is what you meant, but I wanted to be sure first. Please don't lump me in with these people based on my plate, it's like saying all of one race or color of people are bad :)

I know, just having a little fun. Actually my girlfriend has a "blue" plate and has asked about me someday having a "blue" plate....and I thought she knew me well.;)

I know, just having a little fun. Actually my girlfriend has a "blue" plate and has asked about me someday having a "blue" plate....and I thought she knew me well.;)
WHOA! You gonna string out this "life changing news" as long as Moosie did? :D

Just think, if you get a blue plate, that'll not be the only thing that turns blue... :eek:

Back