Yeti GOBOX Collection

I finally got my first CO Tom!!!

arffdog875

Last night after hunting turkeys for three years, I got my first big gobbler! My wife and I saw this bunch of turkeys from the road, we parked and slipped in and got set up about 100 yards away from the bunch. We saw 2 big toms and 2 smaller jakes and about 20 hens. We sat in the tree line for three hours watching these turkeys go back and forth just out of shotgun range. Finally in the last 30 minutes the two big toms went to battle! They were pecking, strutting, spurring, drumming each other not paying attention to anything else. In the heat of the battle they moved right out in front of us ( 40 yards ) but surrounded by the hens. Still moving closer (20 yards ) still the hens surrounding the Tom...15 yard finally separated himself and I got the shot! Bang! Flop! He was mine! A great Tom, 9 1/2" beard and spurs about 3/4" ! It was an incredible show, Until now had only heard about these battles but never seen them until last night...WOW! It took a couple of minutes to get blood flowing back to my legs but I got the legs moving and collected my bird. It was a great night and wanted to share with you guys!

Attachments

• DSCF1760.jpg
    DSCF1760.jpg
    166.6 KB · Views: 269
Congrats ARFF on a nice gobbler, especially for your first! Is that a Merriam? Not too sure what you have in that part of the country but it is a beautiful bird with the white tips.

Now tha'st an exciting hunt !, congratulations. It only took me 24 years. I hunted them for 5 years on my own and never closed the deal so I stopped hunting them then a friend took me out showed me the way to hunt them and now birds fall. LOL hopefully you will keep dropping them.

MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ambushpredator
Back