Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

HuntTalk Podcast

I'd give it a listen. Between work and hunting I only drive 20,000 miles or more per year so I've got some time in the truck to listen to a podcast or 10.

Might be interesting to have unfiltered opinions and hear interesting guests that aren't TV celebrities or country club hunters.

A couple things that I think would be beneficial to you though-

No filters whatsoever. We all see the filtered you on TV a dozen times a year, it would be a great breath of fresh air to hear you speak directly and unfiltered instead.

How do you know I am filtered while on TV? Was I too unfiltered on your goat hunt? :eek:

Actually, I wouldn't do something like this podcast just to have more noise out on the stratosphere. It would have some edge to it.

I kind of view hunting like the NFL Players and their Union. No matter how effed up a player is, the Union protects him. Kind of like hunting. No matter how offensive and detrimental someone is to hunting, the hunting media feels they cannot hold the guy accountable for being a dumbass. I call BS on that.

Also, I'm not doing it to make everyone happy. Some people will turn it off, tell me I've lost my mind, and call my sponsors to complain. In this business, you quickly realize that if you are going to represent a group of people, doing so will come with some consequences; others will take offensive to your representation of your group. Oh well, stand in line and take a number.

I've got a few emails in my inbox that I save of guys who are coming to whoop my ass over something I wrote or said. I send them my address and tell them to come on over. So far, no takers. Just comes with the territory. Wouldn't surprise me if a podcast format and style garnered me a few more offers for a "tooth inventory."

I have built platforms on a message and a constituency of self-guided public land hunters. I'm here to do what best provides that voice. Before I would ever change that, I would fold up the tent and move on. I would have lost my value to the discussion. A podcast will be part of that if it adds to the cause. If it adds no value, well I've already got enough on my plate.

Here you go, invite Don Peay. Now that would be worth more than the price of admission.

Whoops! I forgot, that was tried already, and Donny bailed.

I've got a few emails in my inbox that I save of guys who are coming to whoop my ass over something I wrote or said. I send them my address and tell them to come on over. So far, no takers. Just comes with the territory. Wouldn't surprise me if a podcast format and style garnered me a few more offers for a "tooth inventory."

I think that goes with the territory. I've gotten a few stories there myself. Unbelievable considering what a sweetheart I am.;)

Yes! Podcasts are a much more versatile form of outreach. To watch a TV show, you have to be at home, watching TV. To listen to a podcast, you can be doing a LOT of things and just pop in your ear buds. Perfect way to keep up on hunting news while working out or taking a road trip. I think that this will explode.
I DO think it will be tough to keep fresh material. You can't just talk about different hunts while on the air. I'm sure you have better people than me to brainstorm a solution to that, but I think that will be the biggest problem for a hunting podcast.

I would definitely listen to the hunting podcasts. I listen to Joe Rogans when he has Steve Rinella or other public hunters on and find it very interesting.

If you do it, Randy, I'd listen without a doubt. I try to expedite my time at the office by listening various podcasts (Rogan, Orvis Flyfishing and now Meateater), Howard Stern, and the replay of the Montana Outdoor Radio Show. Honestly, it gets old after a while hearing the same things over and over again.

I can think of several possible platforms that could be discussed on your podcast. I like the idea of talking to biologists, officials from various states' fish and wildlife departments, representatives from your sponsors & conservation groups, and as others have expressed, hunters who are doing the very thing you base your show around. I liked the idea of the "Ask Randy" segment. Perhaps this could be incorporated into a part of the podcast rather than having to do a separate segment.

Good luck with the plans moving forward.

Definitely Fin, sounds like a great plan. I really enjoy listening to Rinella when he does Podcasts, and I think you could really reach out and touch a larger audience. Hope you go through with this!

I have no idea how to listen to a pod cast, but if you did one I would figure it out. You have the uncommon ability to intellectually debate anyone on any topic and not get caught up in thier emotional arguments. That is something that we hunters need. You have always portrayed DIY hunting as a positive and exciting thing to non hunters and hunters alike, and this could be a good platform for that. The thing I like most about your shows is that you just hunt, it is not a 1/2 hour commercial for this sponsor or that sponsor, and that in itself is refreshing.

Topics that would have helped me 20 years ago as a Midwest guy who knew whitetails but was moving to the NW and a few spitball items:

* Getting a big game tag out West (OTC, applications for tag draws, landowner tags, hunter's ed and age rules, species)

* Gear needed to backpack and camp for a 3 - 5 day hunting adventure

* Optics, GPS and ballistics (i.e. seeing, finding, shooting)

* Rifle calibers suitable for various species

* How to read a map to pre-scout where have never yet been

* Exercise and conditioning for a mountain hunt

* Taking pictures and documenting an adventure for revisiting when in a rocking chair

* Hunting Buddy Selection 101 (i.e. How to Avoid a Crappy Camp)

* Field dressing and pack loading an elk for backpack hike to trail head

* Walking Sticks are your friend. Use them on inclines or when packing heavy backpack)

* Wilderness First Aid

* Field Judging big game

* Books to read about Western hunting (tips and just good stories to read in the winter by the fire)

* Big game out West that is different: Barbary sheep, ibex, oryx and alligators (Texas).

* Getting a job in the hunting industry

* So you want to be a writer/show host

* You have the next "big idea" for hunting gear item so how to market/protect/etc

great idea. once a week would be perfect. Jim Zumbo would be a great guest, someone who has definitely felt the wrath of kahn, as well as uncle larry. the two of you together would be a hoot

I will have to learn how to 'play' it, but I am sure it isn't difficult. I think discussions on game laws, permit info and public access to different hunting areas would be useful to a large audience.

I would be all over it! I have listened to exactly one episode of " the lonestar outdoors" show because you were on it. I think you message needs to be out there just like I have told to all of your sponsors.

I've been a avid podcast listener for the last few years ever since stumbling on a Rogan podcast with Steve Rinella.

My favorite form of podcast is just the standard long form interview that goes anywhere. Guests like Rinella, Cam Hanes, Remmy Warren are great to get all of their experience out there, and your not getting something shoved down your throat that they are trying to sell you something.
Besides this type of interview, I would love to hear your hunts broken down with your camera guy or anyone else that was with you. The whole experience as we all tell around the campfire with friends

There are a handful of people on this website that I would love to pull a log up to and talk with
Katqanna and the Wilks brother saga
Dinkshooter - how does he remain the undefeated CSEH year after year with such ease?
Cushman - Did he really bow out from the CSEH in 2014, or were there threats

The "how to podcasts" like picking a hunting rifle, how to apply for a tag and such, I can't see that if it's any longer than 10 minutes like the one you had a facebook the other day.

I'm thinking a good collection of guests in the studio at the same time would be Nemont, NoHarleyYet, Jose, and Buzz. Might even have to film that one.

Really, thanks for the feedback. All good suggestions. Look forward to even more of them.

Just got a note that the guys want to record it on Friday. Better get my act together and start whiteboarding the discussion and see how it can flow in some coherent manner and not cause me to lose my network spot and all the sponsors who go with it.

I listened to Rinella's Podcast yesterday and something Rogan said caught my attention. He noted how he does a 3 hour podcast because he enjoys how the conversation can or can't flow and often circle back.

I thought that was pretty cool, while 3 hours is long I like the idea of a more free flowing format that may leave some potential topics undiscussed, but other topics can be touched on in far greater detail and some side conversations may come up. I just seems more natural, rather than an "interview".

Awesome opportunity Randy. I find the ZPZ & Meateater crew to be leaders in the industry on a lot of marketing and content fronts, the podcast being one of them.

As you know, the hunting industry is full of sheep. I've always seen you as more of a leader representing those of us who enjoy the western hunting DIY public land way of life.

TV is dying. Facebook is lacking behind other social media platforms and those who take a risk and evolve now will be in a great position in the future. The podcast is another great marketing opportunity for you to reach more people who don't like TV.

You'll do amazing.

I listened to Rinella's Podcast yesterday and something Rogan said caught my attention. He noted how he does a 3 hour podcast because he enjoys how the conversation can or can't flow and often circle back.

I thought that was pretty cool, while 3 hours is long I like the idea of a more free flowing format that may leave some potential topics undiscussed, but other topics can be touched on in far greater detail and some side conversations may come up. I just seems more natural, rather than an "interview".

Did you notice Rinella talking about 200 pound yellowstone wolves? Not sure how someone as well read and intelligent as him could be so off the mark like that.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back