Caribou Gear

Hunts you consider unethical and why?

What hunts would you refuse to participate in due to personal ethical concerns (cost no object)?

• 'Target'-based shooting (e.g., prairie dogs, woodchucks) where the game is not utilized

Votes: 50 22.0%
  • Competitive Hunts (e.g., coyote competitions)

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • Species significantly diminished &/or threatened by human activity (rhinos, elephants)

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • High fence operations

Votes: 159 70.0%
  • Very long range shooting situations (arbitrarily defined by me as >800 yards)

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Game where consumption was only fur, no meat harvested (e.g., grizzly for many, most furbearers)

Votes: 27 11.9%
  • Hunts where the game is 'cornered' (e.g., treed mountain lion, raccoon)

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Broadhead testing with Stay Sharp

Votes: 70 30.8%
  • Female species hunts (cow, doe, ewe, etc)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
There’s a lot of things there I don’t do, but raising wild species of animals behind a high fence for “hunting” is the only thing I outright object to.

I see where you are coming from but the fact that Texas has help improve the numbers of a lot of species and a few threatened and endangered ones the high fence hunts are definitely good for conservation. Wether the actual hunt is ethical is up to the individual.

I see where you are coming from but the fact that Texas has help improve the numbers of a lot of species and a few threatened and endangered ones the high fence hunts are definitely good for conservation. Wether the actual hunt is ethical is up to the individual.
There is certainly exceptions.

I’m more talking about raising desert bighorn behind a wire in Sonora then setting them free right before the hunter gets there (totally different than using pen raised sheep to repopulate an area that will eventually be hunted years down the road.)

Or growing stags in a pen in NZ with steroids

Or white tails in a pen with steroids, creating these ‘freak bucks’ that you see at SCI.

Interesting reading. Not surprised by some of it. Almost didn't read because of the "E" word. mtmuley

Reactions: Guy
This is interesting I never would have guessed so many people consider driving deer unethical. This has been a yearly tradition for me since I learned to hunt. And just an FYI I also hunt with traditional archery and muzzloader gear and if you limit the ethical hunting pool to people that hunt more tradionally than me 95 % percent of the time I am in the woods the license sales are going to be really low. I would lay a strong bet that every last one of you that say driving is unethical would have no problem with shooting the deer that our drive jumped out of its bed and slipped back between the drivers. Then probably tell us how morally superior you are.

This is interesting I never would have guessed so many people consider driving deer unethical. This has been a yearly tradition for me since I learned to hunt. And just an FYI I also hunt with traditional archery and muzzloader gear and if you limit the ethical hunting pool to people that hunt more tradionally than me 95 % percent of the time I am in the woods the license sales are going to be really low. I would lay a strong bet that every last one of you that say driving is unethical would have no problem with shooting the deer that our drive jumped out of its bed and slipped back between the drivers. Then probably tell us how morally superior you are.
The majority of the people on here plow deer in open country during the rut. They have zero room for judgement. I have no experience with deer drives but it’s not hard to shoot a deer in open country when they are rutting. Probably much easier than a deer drive.

Last edited by a moderator:
can someone explain "broadhead testing with stay sharp"?
Banned member, ran a broadhead company, got busted for hunting over bait recently. Would essentially “test” out new designs by shooting high fence deer.

So high fence hunting is not ok, but eating beef that came from a stockyard and spent its whole life in a holding pen and knee deep in it's own fecal matter is?
I'm not a high fence hunter and never will be. But it also does not disgust me. Not one bit. If people want to pay $10-20k to shoot an animal then that's their money and it obviously makes them very happy. Ethics has nothing to do with it, and I guarantee it's more humane than any slaughterhouse. Both animals were bred and destined to die and both were paid for, some just a bit more per lb than others. I would not consider an over-bred whitetail in a pen (who's bloodlines also came from a pen) a wild animal. It was born in a pen and will die in a pen. Just like any store bought pork, beef or chicken.

The majority of the people on here plow deer in open country during the rut. They have zero room for judgement. I have no experience with deer drives but it’s not hard to shoot a deer in open country when they are rutting. Probably much easier than a deer drive.

LOL

Ethics is more about types of behavior, not modes of hunting. You can be an ethical spot-and-stalk hunter or an unethical spot-and-stalk hunter.

Also, ethics should not be confused with level of difficulty. If I shoot a deer in a pen and eat it, why isn't that ethical? It may not be a challenging experience, but neither is going to the grocery store. However, if I portray my exploits as making me an accomplished hunter, perhaps I'm stretching the truth (with accompanying ethical issues).

QQ

i am not a fan of folks who use trail cameras and give deer they are tracking all year long names. that to me is no longer hunting

Obviously some stuff is being taken out of context.

The poll is for “hunts you wouldn’t do because of personal ethical reasons “. It isn’t for “what hunts do you want banned”.

I voted. For personal ethical reasons, it’ll remain confidential.

I voted high fence, long range hunting, obviously stay sharp broadhead testing but the clear winner is plowing deer during the rut with a high powered rifle in Montana, it’s just wrong and we line up to do it every year. 😁😁 We actually fight to keep doing it.

Back