Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunts you consider unethical and why?

What hunts would you refuse to participate in due to personal ethical concerns (cost no object)?

• 'Target'-based shooting (e.g., prairie dogs, woodchucks) where the game is not utilized

Votes: 50 22.0%
  • Competitive Hunts (e.g., coyote competitions)

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • Species significantly diminished &/or threatened by human activity (rhinos, elephants)

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • High fence operations

Votes: 159 70.0%
  • Very long range shooting situations (arbitrarily defined by me as >800 yards)

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Game where consumption was only fur, no meat harvested (e.g., grizzly for many, most furbearers)

Votes: 27 11.9%
  • Hunts where the game is 'cornered' (e.g., treed mountain lion, raccoon)

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Broadhead testing with Stay Sharp

Votes: 70 30.8%
  • Female species hunts (cow, doe, ewe, etc)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Cheesehead

What hunts would you refuse to participate due to some element of personal ethics (a given "ick" factor)? Unlimited Selections.
I'd appreciate it if you'd add a comment on 'why' if it is not obvious.
I've teed up a poll with some categories that came to mind but would appreciate if folks would add in the comments other items I may have missed.
What I am after here is trying to better get a gauge of what the 'hunting community' thinks of certain more on-the-bubble activities, given some ruminations I have had as of late.
Thanks all. Hopefully sparks a healthy discussion (although...sigh...it is the offseason)
CH

Other: Not into the deer drive thing. Just doesnt jive with me. Pretty common though. Big family camps, buncha people stomping through the woods purposefully spooking every critter there, getting them to run up into a gauntlet of shooters. No thanks. Just doesnt pass the smell test to me i guess. To me, doing your best NOT to spook animals is really the biggest part of hunting whether youre spot and stalk, calling, sitting in a treestand etc. Of course our dfw recommends drives for hunting whitetail.

Road hunting hay fields looking for rutting mule deer bucks chasing does that have been habituated to all types of farm traffic. High fence hunting with out the fence. Not my cup of tea, but some are willing to pay big money to hunt this way.

ewww, you're right, good call out...I should've added a "Governor's Tag Hunt" option. Like this to have it be included in the results!
I dont have a problem with gov tags themselves its situations like that videos. The $ from those tags go to great use and do a lot of heavy lifting for conservation but dam! I felt ashamed as a hunter watching that video: 1000 yards shot, guy cant even walk to elk(looked to lazy) , they bribe other hunters to not shot it, 24 people in one camera shot got to elk before the "hunter"... terrible. At end he says we couldnt of got closer its to steep and points 2 ridges away to where he shot from, all i can think is looks about same grade as the 2nd bull i packed out last fall didnt stop me. And in the end i felt bad for his horse to! Now i am fired up...Lol

I dont have a problem with gov tags themselves its situations like that videos. The $ from those tags go to great use and do a lot of heavy lifting for conservation but dam! I felt ashamed as a hunter watching that video: 1000 yards shot, guy cant even walk to elk(looked to lazy) , they bribe other hunters to not shot it, 24 people in one camera shot got to elk before the "hunter"... terrible. At end he says we couldnt of got closer its to steep and points 2 ridges away to where he shot from, all i can think is looks about same grade as the 2nd bull i packed out last fall didnt stop me. And in the end i felt bad for his horse to! Now i am fired up...Lol
That's not hunting - It's conservation

Many of the hunts listed I would have no interest in participating in and they certainly have an “ick” factor to me, but I’d stop short of saying they are unethical. Ethics is a personal thing. I have reasons why I hunt which may very well differ from the reasons other people hunt. I hunt to challenge myself and test/push my self-imposed limits. If you remove the challenge, then it loses meaning to me. But I’m Ok that other people might view things differently.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Openseason44
Back