Hunts you consider unethical and why?

What hunts would you refuse to participate in due to personal ethical concerns (cost no object)?

• 'Target'-based shooting (e.g., prairie dogs, woodchucks) where the game is not utilized

Votes: 50 22.0%
  • Competitive Hunts (e.g., coyote competitions)

Votes: 59 26.0%
  • Species significantly diminished &/or threatened by human activity (rhinos, elephants)

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • High fence operations

Votes: 159 70.0%
  • Very long range shooting situations (arbitrarily defined by me as >800 yards)

Votes: 153 67.4%
  • Game where consumption was only fur, no meat harvested (e.g., grizzly for many, most furbearers)

Votes: 27 11.9%
  • Hunts where the game is 'cornered' (e.g., treed mountain lion, raccoon)

Votes: 23 10.1%
  • Broadhead testing with Stay Sharp

Votes: 70 30.8%
  • Female species hunts (cow, doe, ewe, etc)

Votes: 3 1.3%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 15 6.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I have never been a fan of using dogs to tree mountain lions. Im all for predator control but I have a few friends that have done it and they all have taken selfies with the cat treed in the background waiting to be shot. Don't much care for that.

Is it unethical? (As was the question for the poll)

Would you vote to ban it?

If yes to either, then we have to evaluate ourselves as hunters and the tradition in general, as ending the low hanging fruit only moves the fruit to the next branch, which then becomes the low hanging fruit at that point.

And this goes with any of the questions, the hound hunting one just hits home for me as I dedicate 50 hours alone per month to working with my dogs at home, hundreds of dollars a year to dog specific equipment, hours upon. Hours following the hounds by foot ans vehicle and $300 a month just in dog food. All because I love the dogs.

Picture of my two new pups yesterday.

Attachments

• 20210310_102334.jpg
    20210310_102334.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I just can't get past the fact that 25% of Hunt Talkers think high fenced hunts are ethical?
I may be off in left field and forgive me if I am. Does the NM Oryx tag fall in this category or Texas auodad?

What about the majority of New Zealand stags......

I'm going down the rabbit hole here and would have to say I totally disagree with this statement when it comes to hunting with hounds there's such a tremendous amount of work involved to get dogs ready and train that 95 percent of hunters will never see or be a part of...... if you did you'd have a totally different outlook on it.

Knocking traditional forms of hunting is a bad deal....

The only ones I don't like are high fenced stuff and of course my ol buddy stay sharp.

Can't say I love it all but if it is what people like to do and enjoy it then more power to em.
I feel like I may have caused a misunderstanding, although I still see a difference of opinion coming. If you train your own dogs, or go with a buddy who does and go out treeing cats i have no problem with that. I just personally dont like the guys go pay a guide to tree the lion and they then post pictures if it scared out of its mind right before they shoot it. With that being said I have a ton of respect for the people who can train their dogs to tree lions, I could hardly get my golden to pick up a pheasant!

I feel like I may have caused a misunderstanding, although I still see a difference of opinion coming. If you train your own dogs, or go with a buddy who does and go out treeing cats i have no problem with that. I just personally dont like the guys go pay a guide to tree the lion and they then post pictures if it scared out of its mind right before they shoot it. With that being said I have a ton of respect for the people who can train their dogs to tree lions, I could hardly get my golden to pick up a pheasant!
I think you’ll find that there’s the same in everything. There’s the Alaskan resident that can’t afford to fly in that decides to hike in from the highway and after 5 years he kills a 145” ram.
Then there’s the fat Texan that writes a $30k check and lands a chopper around a corner from an upper 160s ram in the NWT and shoots it

Examples like this in hunting methods and species are endless.

781aa751e994839d8d80dd17ec810008.jpg

I just can't get past the fact that 25% of Hunt Talkers think high fenced hunts are ethical?
There can be a lot of nuance with this one.

30,000 acres of high fence and a natural deer herd? As someone else said earlier in the thread, you could walk that place for a week and never see the fence. I wouldn't call this scenario unethical.
Now 200 acres of high fence with introduced genetics, feeders around every corner and breeder bucks that get released for the highest paying client once they've run their course of "servicing" all the does? That's pretty pathetic and unethical in my opinion.

All that to say, ethical or not, I personally have no interest in high fence hunts, regardless of how big the property is.

Is it unethical? (As was the question for the poll)

Would you vote to ban it?

If yes to either, then we have to evaluate ourselves as hunters and the tradition in general, as ending the low hanging fruit only moves the fruit to the next branch, which then becomes the low hanging fruit at that point.

And this goes with any of the questions, the hound hunting one just hits home for me as I dedicate 50 hours alone per month to working with my dogs at home, hundreds of dollars a year to dog specific equipment, hours upon. Hours following the hounds by foot ans vehicle and $300 a month just in dog food. All because I love the dogs.

Picture of my two new pups yesterday.
Unethical? Probably not. Like most who voted I just went with one I am not personally interested in. And I totally agree we as sportsman should not be pointing out what we dont like about others hunting tactics and style. I do realize I did just that and I apologize.

I may be off in left field and forgive me if I am. Does the NM Oryx tag fall in this category or Texas auodad?

What about the majority of New Zealand stags......
I don't know the particulars about NM Oryx or Texas audad, but I have hunted stag in New Zealand, completely free range. The high fenced operations in NZ are among the most disgusting/disturbing examples of "hunting" I have ever witnessed. Trophy stags are literally raised in small pastures, bought and sold, and released into 100 acre (varies) pens to be shot by some high roller, swinging dick. Then, SCI records them in a "record book" so they can brag to all their other swinging dick buddies about what accomplished "hunters" they are.
IMO, a "high-fence" is anything meant to contain an animal or prevent it from escaping. Size doesn't matter to me, they are built for a purpose. I know there are some exceptions, but high fenced hunting is what it is.

I don't know the particulars about NM Oryx or Texas audad, but I have hunted stag in New Zealand, completely free range. The high fenced operations in NZ are among the most disgusting/disturbing examples of "hunting" I have ever witnessed. Trophy stags are literally raised in small pastures, bought and sold, and released into 100 acre (varies) pens to be shot by some high roller, swinging dick. Then, SCI records them in a "record book" so they can brag to all their other swinging dick buddies about what accomplished "hunters" they are.
IMO, a "high-fence" is anything meant to contain an animal or prevent it from escaping. Size doesn't matter to me, they are built for a purpose. I know there are some exceptions, but high fenced hunting is what it is.
I shot a critter, after drawing the tag, that meets your definition of high fence. Critters from this location big enough are allowed to be entered into B&C...

High-fence, using match-grade rounds instead of hunting grade rounds, hunting private managed animals and passing them as earned through hard work, most social media hunters, outfitters lobbying to reduce hunting access to public land hunters, long-range shooters, shooting with little interest in eating, I feel conflicted about predator hunting, bait or food plot hunting, alligator hunters.

none of these are probably unethical (except for the match-grade ammo for hunting) but they are very off-putting to me.

Last edited:
I shot a critter, after drawing the tag, that meets your definition of high fence. Critters from this location big enough are allowed to be entered into B&C...
Good for you, not my cup of tea. I said there were exceptions, and it was my opinion. What do you consider "high fence", and is it hunting?

All/None

Context is king for all situations.

I checked a couple but then realized the question was about ethics not interests and I was construing the two. It seems on this subject people often are simply not interested in a particular activity and then attempt to construe it as "unethical" as justification.

Fly fishing versus Bait fishing, it's not ethics you're just being cranky

Yes, people confuse "unethical" with "stuff I don't like"...

These are Webster's synonyms for "unethical",

...So is high fence hunting unethical or just kinda lame?

High fence polar bears at 800 yards with Stay Sharp giving instructions. Yea, or Nay? 🤔🤔🤔🤔
Is the polar bear sitting on a pile of donuts that he laid out?
Did he create a DIY video about the preparation of said donuts?
Was said DIY video distributed across every hunting forum on the interwebs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Loper96
Back