Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hunts for teachers schedules?

wisconsinteacher

As you can tell by my handle, I'm a teacher. I teach Special Education in northern WI. I try to do an out of state hunt each year but it is tricky with my schedule/calander. I get to take a full week off every 3 years so those are going towards elk hunts. I have done a quick 3 day antelope hunt and it worked great. I am also planning on going out deer hunting durning the week of Thanksgiving and cat hunting over Christmas in a few years so that helps.

The reason for the post is to find hunts that can be done during the non-school months (Sept-early June) or over Thanksgiving or Christmas break. I know Africa is always an option, but I would rather go to Alaska fishing than on a hunt in Africa.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Last edited:
CA has archery blacktail begin usually the second or third week of July and rifle opening up in mid August. Tough hunts with the heat and trying to find animals but it's an option. On a diff note, thanks for doing the job that you do. One of the most under appreciated jobs.

Honestly after being in the teaching profession for over thirty years I'd say your absolute best time is Thanksgiving break. You will kill more that week than just about any other time of the year that you have time off as a teacher. The next best thing is spring bear hunting the last week of May into the first week or two of June.

My wife has the same schedule, I would look at coues hunts in AZ. There are rifle hunts in Dec which take some points to draw but there is a hunt in Thanksgving week that is pretty easy to draw. If you prefer archery then it is OTC for most units in Dec and Jan.
Goat season starts Aug 1 in some units in AK, has to be guided but cheaper then a sheep hunt.

I believe SD has a rifle deer season that falls on thanksgiving break. Also, if you have points for deer in CO our 4th season next year is the week of thanksgiving.

Idaho has deer open (Panhandle for sure) all of November. The rut hits hard around that week. These are OTC (buy early).
Catch I-90 at LaCrosse, drive west for 22 hours and you’re done.

My wife is a teacher that wants to hunt with me but never gets to. We are discussing going to Arizona in December during Christmas break. She has realized over the last several years that having summers off isn't all it is cracked up to be. Especially since she spends about the last 2-3 weeks of the summer break just getting ready for the new year.

As you can tell by my handle, I'm a teacher. I teach Special Education in northern WI. I try to do an out of state hunt each year but it is tricky with my schedule/calander. I get to take a full week off every 3 years so those are going towards elk hunts. I have done a quick 3 day antelope hunt and it worked great. I am also planning on going out deer hunting durning the week of Thanksgiving and cat hunting over Christmas in a few years so that helps.

The reason for the post is to find hunts that can be done during the non-school months (Sept-early June) or over Thanksgiving or Christmas break. I know Africa is always an option, but I would rather go to Alaska fishing than on a hunt in Africa.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Thanks for this post. I am a P.E. Teacher and Coach. It is tough with the school schedule. I would agree that the Thanksgiving week would offer the best opportunity. If you could take a couple days off (Thursday/Friday) the week before thats a good amount of time. Let us know what you find works

Thanks for all the help. I know if I get creative, I can find a few hunts to look into. I'm open to a lot of ideas. The AZ Coues sounds fun. I beleive that Alaska might be the place to really look. Mnt. Goat, Sitka deer and bear migth be open in August.

I'm not really interested in bears due to the fact that we can hunt them here in WI.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back