Hunting season preparations, what did you do today?

This morning, I requested permission to my favorite duck pond (that may or may not have water). Season opens on the first.

I got in me 15 mile ride as well. Birds slower than I think I should have been.

Now back to storm damage clean up which will really improve upper body condition between now and pheasant season. Or kill me. :(

Hiked, made calls to two ID ranger stations (one not helpful, the other extremely helpful), spent way too much money on some Sitka pieces.

drank coffee, making a list of everything we have for elk camp, trying not to forget anything. Looking at the treadmill and my metcalf with 40#s in it. I might get on today...

Went to replace the driver side wheel hub on the truck before going out for a round of scouting this weekend, found all the bolts were rounded off on the back of the knuckle.

Disassembled the control arms, etc. to get the knuckle out and weld nuts onto the heads, found the previous owner had also cross threaded them. New knuckle on order, as well as ball joints, shocks, tie rods, pitman arm, links. Figured with everything torn apart I might as well rebuild the whole thing.

Last edited:
Well last night I had a Alaskan Amber Ale the beer I had after Caribou hunting last year and a Blue Light is what I have in Canada fishing, it keeps my joints lubed. 😀.
Now this morning going for a hike with the Wife about 5 miles.

Went to replace the driver side wheel hub on the truck before going out for a round of scouting this weekend, found all the bolts were rounded off on the back of the knuckle.

Disassembled the control arms, etc. to get the knuckle out and weld nuts onto the heads, found the previous owner had also cross threaded them. New knuckle on order, as well as ball joints, shocks, tie rods, pitman arm, links. Figured with everything torn apart I might as well rebuild the whole thing.

That pretty much describes every mechanic job I start.

Last time I changed the plugs in the F150 I found a small oil leak and ended up replacing valve cover gaskets, PCV valve, etc.

Recovering from a total knee replacement, so I brought my pack into the living room and cooked up some mountain house on my kit, followed by some peppermint tea. 😁

While hunting pigs over a pond in the woods I noticed a couple deer slipping the edge of the pond in a thicket of tallow trees where the pond occasionally floods into. Found good last year rubs right there. Makes sense for them to use that edge rather than step through the opening of the pond to get to point a and point b.
Got a camera there now and will check it in another week. A few things to do around the house today but when I get that done I’m going to check out some spots in a small WMA by the house.
Sweetie is getting fat. Ran her Wednesday evening and might bring her out again this evening. She’s a little rusty after staying cooped up while in heat. Squirrel season will be here before we know it.

How busy was the trail/road there? It was crazy busy late spring and early summer but surprisingly empty on a Saturday morning in July.
Not bad. Some of the other areas around it were pretty packed.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Big daddy
Back