Hunting season preparations, what did you do today?

Got a pup a bit over a month ago and been working on a new house before we get to move in May. I’ve been trying to walk the dog around town about three miles daily and have already noticed a few pounds missing from the scale reading. The walks have been good for me and the dog I guess.

Finally jumped and bought a bino harness. Should be here next week. Started on an updated pack list so I can gather items as needed.

I got in a 10 mile run this morning with a training group I run with. Thinking about possibly doing a half marathon in May and then start training for the Chicago marathon in October. I’m not a huge runner but I definitely think this has paid off big time when hiking the mountains and chasing elk in the fall.
If you're already running 10 miles, the half marathon is nearly in the bag. A marathon in October is definitely in range. Do it!;)

Installed a dishwasher for the landowner that lets me hunt on his land.

Then when I got home I replaced the inducer motor, transition assembly, igniter and the flame sensor in our furnace.

Attachments

• DBBDC8FA-1325-465F-9DE8-F6B8D206F960.jpeg
    DBBDC8FA-1325-465F-9DE8-F6B8D206F960.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 4
  • 02365C51-53F3-4478-B41A-A09DAFA6FD51.png
    02365C51-53F3-4478-B41A-A09DAFA6FD51.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 4
I finished assembling my new arrows, learned how to use my new sharpening system on the broadheads, and cleaned my new Spot Hogg cylinder so I could put the sighting in sticker on it.

Feeling excited about archery season!

Gotta reroute the barrel I bought for my 1903A3 to another border crossing location so my gunsmith buddy can go pick it up. His business is considered essential so he is legal to fetch it. I would have to quarantine for six weeks. Today I also readjusted the gun's trigger weight. Starting the paperwork tomorrow to transport it and 45-90 double rifle with me to Africa to hunt buffalo etc late summer. First COVID shot Monday morning and gallbladder surgery Thursday. I'll send the Springfield to the gunsmith for new barrel Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be getting hernia surgery very soon. Then I'm good to go. Would be great if I could get fixed up and gym reopened. Be nice to get back in shape before Africa.

Gotta reroute the barrel I bought for my 1903A3 to another border crossing location so my gunsmith buddy can go pick it up. His business is considered essential so he is legal to fetch it. I would have to quarantine for six weeks. Today I also readjusted the gun's trigger weight. Starting the paperwork tomorrow to transport it and 45-90 double rifle with me to Africa to hunt buffalo etc late summer. First COVID shot Monday morning and gallbladder surgery Thursday. I'll send the Springfield to the gunsmith for new barrel Tuesday. Hopefully I'll be getting hernia surgery very soon. Then I'm good to go. Would be great if I could get fixed up and gym reopened. Be nice to get back in shape before Africa.
Wishing you a speedy recovery from the surgery !

Wishing you a speedy recovery from the surgery !
Thanks. It's not like the old days when they opened people up stem to stern. Arthoscopy and just a small incision in the navel. For gallbladder I'm in and out of the hospital the same day. Getting vaccinated first sure has taken a load off my mind. Hopefully no complications from the shot. It's Astra-Zenica and I see in the news yesterday there was an extremely rare blood clotting issue in Alberta. But they know what to look for and can treat it quickly. I guess thick blood may not be such a bad thing in surgery? :unsure: ;)

Well I scouted for 2 days and hunted for 2 hours to prepare for fall seasons.

Camped in my new SO lil bug out. I am gonna love it except I had condensation even with both doors open. What can you do with this humidity? Didn’t help that the ground was damp from rain the evening before I pitched the tent. The nest really helped eliminate the condensation in the sleeping area so it is well worth the extra weight.

Did a good bit of hiking. 5 miles Saturday while scouting, almost 9 Sunday, while scouting and 4 Monday on the hunt.

Was 2 miles walking from my tent, almost on the dot, when I shot this tom at 40 steps running to my Montana Decoy Co. collapsable hen decoy. Guess these Eastern’s like Merriams ladies too.

I found these gobblers on Saturday at lunch and spent a lot of time listening to and watching them Saturday and Sunday before season opened Monday in Arkansas.

All told I saw 4 different gobblers and a couple of hens on the trip. Heard what I think was 5 different gobblers the morning I connected.

I was tagged out on this WMA at 8:10 AM on opening day.

FCC6D477-16FF-47EB-B548-E3DADAEE5DF9.jpegDAF2E799-AD20-4AEB-8EDC-539569D7D00C.jpegD28F1104-EA41-4A02-86BE-F23F57A36FD6.jpeg

Mounted new glass on a new rifle; My home garage gym is now clear of Prom decorations as of last night so today Ill lift for the first time in 2 weeks then do my stretching and rolling out. Meal prep this eve and pace patiently till some 419 gear comes in the mail.

Heavy weights Friday, three hour mountain bike ride yesterday with a good OTB event mixed in. Sore and bloody. Heading out at oh dark thirty tomorrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Not today, but I scheduled an MRI for my shoulder yesterday, sounds like the rotator cuff decided to give me a big FU. Archery season over before it starts. Maybe I can stand some rifle recoil by turkey day.

8 months post op on Monday - torn rotator cuff and shredded biceps tendon. Put on a new fall away and backed down the bow to 55 lbs and I can start shooting again.

Pro-tip: Avoid shoulder surgery. Recovery sucks balls.

PXL_20210502_164705575.jpg

Back