Hunting Mule Deer In The Rut - Question

huntertx

I'm heading to AZ in Mid-January to chase mule deer with my bow. It seems like the deer should be in or near the rut. With little experience hunting mule deer, I have some questions as to my approach.

Do mule deer bucks still bed down around midday during the rut or pre-rut, or are they on their feet all day (I plan on being in the field all day)? Obviously, a lot of scenarios are situation specific, but generally would I be wasting my time by waiting for a buck to bed down before putting on a stalk? What would your approach be (aggressive stalk vs waiting for the deer to bed)?

Thanks guys. I value the opinions on this forum greatly, so I appreciate any wisdom Hunttalkers are willing to share.

From my experience, it is a good idea to wait for them to bed, or at least get to an area that gives you an opportunity to put a stalk on. During the rut, your biggest issue is going to be keeping an eye on the does. It always seems that there are one or two that see you before you see them, and end your stalk before you even have a chance.

I watched my buck bed with half a dozen does at 9am this year. However, a few years ago, I shot my biggest buck, which was trailing a doe by about 15 minutes, at noon. With a little encouragement from a much more experienced mule deer hunter, I've learned that staying put is much more productive (at least for me) than spending the day on my feet. I try to glass from two or three spots in the mornings and evenings. I do get impatient during the middle of the day and will often walk through areas that I usually don't hunt during the prime times.

Mule Deer rutting in mid January? Maybe I'm nuts but I'd think they were long done by then and on the verge if not starting to drop there antlers? Does the rut vary that much from say us in the Northern West states?

My only would-be shot opportunity just over the border in NM unit 23 was at noon last January. I was having lunch on the top of a ridge. Set my bow down out of reach (dunno why...) and as I was eating an orange, I heard a rock roll and thought 'oh hell.' I knew exactly what was happening. A little 3 x 3 walked by me at 20 yards and all I could do was watch.
I watched another buck bed down on a different day and stalked in on him, but just as I was getting into range and relocating him, he and the doe he was with got up and walked. They were only bedded an hour on a pleasant, overcast day, so heat or cold should not have been a factor. Seems like they're still pretty active that time of year.

From my experience, it is a good idea to wait for them to bed, or at least get to an area that gives you an opportunity to put a stalk on. During the rut, your biggest issue is going to be keeping an eye on the does. It always seems that there are one or two that see you before you see them, and end your stalk before you even have a chance.

This was my experience with the rest of my hunt. Too many does... On the other hand, if you can find some groups of does, it becomes pretty easy to check on them every day and see if any bucks are with them. The same group of does I was watching off and on for 2 weeks had about 6 different bucks come calling.

Mule Deer rutting in mid January? Maybe I'm nuts but I'd think they were long done by then and on the verge if not starting to drop there antlers? Does the rut vary that much from say us in the Northern West states?

Desert mulies in Az rut much later. End of December through January is normal.

Thanks guys. This is very helpful. I appreciate the feedback. I'll post pictures of the hunt.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
K9TXS
Back