Alabama deer hunt.

utah400elk

I know western hunting is really slowing down and everybody is getting ready for application season. I notice every year tempers flare and people seem grumpy. Well…the deer season in my area of Alabama is just getting going.

The whitetail rut here is in late January through February. I found my first scapes of the season on Thursday.

IMG_0181.jpegIMG_0155.jpeg
I had a great hunt in Wyoming with a friend so my elk fix is in for the year.

I am able to get three-five hunts in per week. I am hunting from a saddle and climber.image.jpgThis morning I am set up near a swamp. There a big buck tracks in the area and last season my son saw a 160 class buck about 1/2 mile from here. I will try and make this semi-live.

Hope this helps through the next month or so.

I always wondered what Alabama deer hunting was about. We have been doing Gulf Shores annually since 1985 and have only seen a few deer along 65. Some of that land is so thick except where the pulp mills have timbered. Thanks for taking us along

Well I obviously need to make a trip to Alabama. Not sure what I thought it would look like but it sure looks like good ground to hunt.

Well. I am going to give it a few more minutes. I just had five deer, three does and two fawns walk by at 40 yards. I was hoping for a buck following them but..they bolted. Two rifle hunters just pushed the far side of the swamp. They spooked the deer by me. I am hoping a buck tries to circle them.

Good luck @utah400elk! Deer hunting in Alabama is a whole different ballgame than outside of the Deep South, especially on public. I’ll be headed back for my annual hunt with some school friends in the Black Belt in a couple of weeks.

Hunting in AL reminds me of what SC was like thirty years ago. Well, except AL has bigger deer.

This hunt is archery, muzzle and rifle…depending on the location. This morning it’s muzzle.

I know it’s not the best for scent but the wind is in my face and morning coffee in the stand can’t be beat!

View attachment 308428
Sometimes those low pressure hunts where you drink coffee and just enjoy being out there are hard to beat. What type of ML is that? Looks real nice.

What are you talking about? I picked that muzzleloader up at my local Walmart. It was a special, buy a muzzleloader and get an artificial flocked Christmas tree for free. I thought everybody got in on that deal.

Ok, it’s a custom Arrowhead Rifle long range muzzleloader (Orion). I get over 2500 fps with BH209 load and a 300 grain Arrowhead bullet. 2850 with same bullet and 80 grns H322. It is simply the most accurate gun I have ever shot.

I will also be using a Weatherby Vanguard in 350 Legend and my Mathew’s bow.

Last edited:
Ok fellas, I am torn…Muzzle loader in an area I know well (where I took my doe) or new rifle spot that is the hardest to get to but open to more hunters. These two areas are only 1/2 mile apart but the rifle area would require a couple mile hike.

Last edited:
What are you talking about? I picked that muzzleloader up at my local Walmart. It was a special, buy a muzzleloader and get an artificial flocked Christmas tree for free. I thought everybody got in on that deal.

Ok, it’s a custom Arrowhead Rifle long range muzzleloader (Orion). I get over 2500 fps with BH209 load and a 300 grain Arrowhead bullet. 2850 with same bullet and 80 grns H322. It is simply the most accurate gun I have ever shot.

I will also be using a Weatherby Vanguard in 350 Legend and my Mathew’s bow.
Very nice Muzzleloader. I went to their website and checked them out. Interesting that they sell a barrel for the TC Encore, which is the muzzleloader I use.

Reactions: Hem
I almost went that route. Since I didn’t have the encore I went with full build. With a Leupold 3x15 VX5, The rifle will put a single ragged .5 inch hole @100 (if I do my part). It is really well made and the first true custom gun I have had built.

I almost went that route. Since I didn’t have the encore I went with full build. With a Leupold 3x15 VX5, The rifle will put a single ragged .5 inch hole @100 (if I do my part). It is really well made and the first true custom gun I have had built.
Congrats on the rifle! Sure looks to be very well made. I’ve owned 3 muzzleloaders and when you look at all you spend, if a man went with something similar to yours the first time, it’s not that bad. Enjoy it and post up some pics of what you kill with it.

Sorry to have dropped off. I was not able to get out Sunday afternoon. The hunt was closed at noon. I have been seeing more and more deer out and about as the rut gets closer.

I did a lot of scouting (as my wife calls, hiking/wondering with a purpose). I have seen just a few more scrapes showing up and found a new area with a tone of fresh rubs.

I was going to try and get out today but…
1704403733083.jpeg
Small dishwasher leaks are never really small. I will get back out this weekend.

Back