Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Alabama deer hunt.

Back at it tonight. Very windy and thunder storms kept me sidelined. In my saddle tonight and swinging all over the place. Saddle hunting in high winds is not for the faint of heart.IMG_0441.jpegI am on a little bench just above the Tennessee River tonight. This has been a great morning spot for me. First ever night hunt. This is about 1 1/2 miles from parking spot so it doesn’t get hunted often/ever.

IMG_0440.jpeg

I have a summit climber that is awesome. My favorite stand is a millenium hang on. The area I am hunting does not allow leaving stands overnight so it’s a climber or saddle. I think I use both equal amounts but have to say the climber is more comfortable for longer sits. The saddle set up is really quick quiet and maneuverable.

Nasty little thunder storm just raced through. I didn’t even have time to get out of the tree. However, blue bird skies now and…IMG_0448.jpegI hope this means things are looking up. The little armadillo ran for cover.

I saw a huge buck last night…in the headlights as I was driving home. Nothing but the Armadillos last night. This mornings forecast was clear skies and cold. They lied. It was pouring rain. I got to my stand a little late. I did play ca and mouse with a shooter buck o the way in. I had him at 80 yard but could not get a clear shot.

IMG_0459.jpeg
View this morning.

Cold and wet required a large coffee to keep warm.IMG_0460.jpegThe only thing to come by so far is couple possums.IMG_0455.jpegBefore I lived in Alabama, I thought possums were nocturnal.

What are you talking about? I picked that muzzleloader up at my local Walmart. It was a special, buy a muzzleloader and get an artificial flocked Christmas tree for free. I thought everybody got in on that deal.

Ok, it’s a custom Arrowhead Rifle long range muzzleloader (Orion). I get over 2500 fps with BH209 load and a 300 grain Arrowhead bullet. 2850 with same bullet and 80 grns H322. It is simply the most accurate gun I have ever shot.

I will also be using a Weatherby Vanguard in 350 Legend and my Mathew’s bow.
Wow, 2500 fps with 300gr bullet that's 375 H&H performance. That's insane. I guess you learn something every day.

With smokeless powder (H322) and the same bullet, I get 2850 FPS. It also maintains a standard deviation of less than 5 FPS. The rifle shoots amazing is very consistent and packs a bit of energy as well.

Back at it again fellas. I have been in the stand since 5:15 for a 6:15 sunrise. I am in a very swampy area and hear ducks everywhere. Season ends next Saturday. I have seen several big bucks walking the area from 10:00-2:00 so I think the rut is looking good.

I have my muzzleloader for some potential longer shots today.

This is this view as the sun is getting ready to come up. I am about 10 min from shooting light

IMG_0472.jpeg

I have had about 10 deer come by. All does and fawns so far. I had another public land hunter scope me in his rifle (muzzleloader) for about 5 min. He then pushed through the trees and ran all the deer to a closed area. The good thing is most of the bigger bucks I have seen have been moving through around 11:00-12:00.

That’s public land hunting.

This is the view of the area in daylight…

IMG_0481.jpegThese are the trees I am seeing the deer in…

IMG_0483.jpegThe unit boundary is about 120 yards north. And here is the guy who scoped me trying desperately to act like he doesn't know I am there. He pushed all the deer off to the closed area but they return quickly. They get idiot hunters all the time. IMG_0479.jpeg

Last edited:
I know western hunting is really slowing down and everybody is getting ready for application season. I notice every year tempers flare and people seem grumpy. Well…the deer season in my area of Alabama is just getting going.

The whitetail rut here is in late January through February. I found my first scapes of the season on Thursday.

View attachment 308424View attachment 308425
I had a great hunt in Wyoming with a friend so my elk fix is in for the year.
Awesome pics

Well it’s the last day. I was late getting into the stand because I had to drop my son off for swim practice. It’s overcast with storms coming and it 63° at shooting light. As I was walking into my stand I saw a definite last day shooter. It was a solid 8 with a bladed g2 on his left. I took a rushed shot and not sure of the hit. I am looking now but we are expecting 3-5 inches of rain today starting in about 1-1 1/2 hours.IMG_0494.jpegthis is about where he was standing when I shot.

Now for the true story…My custom muzzleloader did not disappoint. He dropped in his tracks. He was already aged at 4.5 years and is at the butcher. He is a good buck and I don’t think pictures do him justice. The game warden and butcher were shocked I didn’t go with a shoulder mount. I have hunted too many big mule deer to get over excited.
This is the end of the season and has been a fun adventure. I hope everybody enjoyed.

Now onto application season.
IMG_0493.jpegIMG_0492.jpeg

Last edited:
Now for the true story…My custom muzzleloader did not disappoint. He dropped in his tracks. He was already aged at 4.5 years and is at the butcher. He is a good buck and I don’t think pictures do him justice. The game warden and butcher were shocked I didn’t go with a shoulder mount. I have hunted too many big mule deer to get over excited.
This is the end of the season and has been a fun adventure. I hope everybody enjoyed.

Now onto application season.
View attachment 314999View attachment 314998
Congrats! Any mature public land buck in Alabama is an achievement and that is a stud.

There is a guy outside Birmingham called the Beetle Doc who does great Euros with dermestid beetles. He did a pronghorn for me a couple years ago. You might think about checking him out if you aren’t going with a traditional shoulder mount.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elkslayer38
Back