Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Hunting Gear Thats Punches Above its Pricepoint

This is probably TMI but the things DO NOT SMELL at all even after wearing them for 3 days straight chasing gobblers out in Western Oklahoma. It was 80-90's everyday all day, rained a bit (not enough to cool the temps down just enough for the humidity to skyrocket and cause swamp a$$). I got home and it was the first time I wore them and the socks or boxers had no odor at all, I was so shocked I thought maybe I picked up the Rona on the trip or something so I joked with my wife to sniff them if she didn't believe me and she fell for it and was shocked that they did not smell at all. I wanted to test them before heading out on a 10 day backcountry bear trip this fall in Colorado and they passed with flying colors.
That's wool for you. Once they dry they almost always eliminate the smell:

Future demand for wool will be determined by its ability to capitalize on new emerging markets. Due to diminishing returns in traditional markets, new markets such as the next-to-skin knitwear market (Rowe, 2010) offer an area of growth for wool. Wool marketing has focused on extending the use of wool into nontraditional markets. This includes the next-to-skin knitwear and athleisure market. These markets require wool to be worn as a base layer or as described as “next to skin”, which requires the fiber to have low fiber diameter (less than 18 μm) and capitalize on the unique fiber characteristics, such as breathability, resisting odor, and moisture-wicking capabilities. Additionally, the clean, green eco-positioning of wool according to the use of the life cycle assessment to quantify its sustainability position makes it attractive to the environmentally savvy consumer. The next-to-skin knitwear market does require certain specifications to suit this market. Wool must be soft to touch, also known as the handle of the fabric, and absent of considerable prickle predominately caused by coarse fibers (over 30 μm) to develop a level of consumer comfort (Naebe et al., 2015). Australia typically producers 95% of the world’s wool production that is finer than 19.6 µm (Cottle, 2010).

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8127695/

Tipton Gun Butler is perhaps the best Christmas gift ever. Great item and only forty bucks from Cabelas. I like that it collapses to nothing for storage. Great for cleaning/working on guns. I also use mine to bore sight. Set it up on the dining room table and sight out the window to a spot of red duct tape on white garage.20220711_202351.jpg41BaDP+trZL._AC_SY580_.jpg

Last edited:
That's wool for you. Once they dry they almost always eliminate the smell:

Future demand for wool will be determined by its ability to capitalize on new emerging markets. Due to diminishing returns in traditional markets, new markets such as the next-to-skin knitwear market (Rowe, 2010) offer an area of growth for wool. Wool marketing has focused on extending the use of wool into nontraditional markets. This includes the next-to-skin knitwear and athleisure market. These markets require wool to be worn as a base layer or as described as “next to skin”, which requires the fiber to have low fiber diameter (less than 18 μm) and capitalize on the unique fiber characteristics, such as breathability, resisting odor, and moisture-wicking capabilities. Additionally, the clean, green eco-positioning of wool according to the use of the life cycle assessment to quantify its sustainability position makes it attractive to the environmentally savvy consumer. The next-to-skin knitwear market does require certain specifications to suit this market. Wool must be soft to touch, also known as the handle of the fabric, and absent of considerable prickle predominately caused by coarse fibers (over 30 μm) to develop a level of consumer comfort (Naebe et al., 2015). Australia typically producers 95% of the world’s wool production that is finer than 19.6 µm (Cottle, 2010).

Source: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC8127695/
Interesting. The South Africans seem to think they are the leaders in Merino wool production.

Superfeet insoles.
I looked at Sheep feet and I ended up trying a pair of off the shelf Superfeet Flex. $30 and they were great. Recently found out they make custom insoles too and had a pair of their ME3D custom insoles made and they are amazing and half the price of the Sheep Feet. Less than $160 tax and all and got reimbursed with my FSA.

Marsupial gear belt. Got mine for $25 looks like they're $30 now.

Has quickly become my everyday wear belt. Just enough stretch, super comfortable, lightweight.

Meriwool Mernio specifically boxers and socks off amazon. $25 for a quality pair of merino boxers is a pretty darn good deal and a 3 pack of 75% mernio socks for $25 is pretty unheard of as well.
Where are you finding the 3pk for $25?

Back