Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Hunting gaiters

They also can help by keeping the bulk away from you ankles. My last hunting pants were not athletic cut - and gaiters were really helpful in deadfall.
I hiked down an old burn full of deadfall one time without them... my pants snagged on so much stuff - I almost told them to leave me I wasn't going to make it back up. But it was all good - and now I bring them. Also my new pants are tighter around the calf and ankle but the gaiter does help out I think.

T&K Hunting Gear make a really great gaiter. Tougher then wood pecker lips and if they dont offer your size get on contact with Tyler and he will probably accommodate you. But unless your brock lesner your not gonna have much problem with sizing.
Honestly I feel stupid not thinking of them. My buddies at Buckstorm use them a lot and he’s a local guy just down the road . Thank you !!

Reactions: KB_
I have used the hell of of the latest version that Sitka put out and they been absolutely solid. Used them pretty much from Alaska to Mexico in the few years and they have done everything I needed
+1

I have cankles and think calves. I wish they came in XXXL XLong through.

When I use them, which is pretty much limited to snow, creek crossings, and talus, I use the Black Diamond ones and they've been great, although a little noisy.

Kuiu - wore them the fug out and they replaced them no questions asked. Great customer svc!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
How long did they last? I thought about getting some rain gaiters from them along with some scree gaiters since I'm deathly afraid of ticks.

Protection from water, brush, dirt, rocks, other debris as you hike. In winter, gaiters keep boots, ankles, and legs protected from cold, wet, and snow.
Once you wear gaiters you will know the answer to your question.
With this said, I might just skip out on buying some new neoprene boots exception for waterfowl hunting or if I'm in the swamp.

How long did they last? I thought about getting some rain gaiters from them along with some scree gaiters since I'm deathly afraid of ticks.
First set lasted 2 years. I love their yukon gaiters. I am not easy on gear.

I shot a moose in BC which tried to swim away before dying.
I was able to strip down and swim out and get it.
But then boneless quartered along the bank. After dressing me and then him.
I was able to work from lakeside in about 14 inches of water in my lace up boots with gaiters on.
I needed to keep moving but was able to keep my feet dry.

In snow they really help to keep ice and moisture out.
What you should have said was you packed out your whole moose in one trip only wearing your boots and gaiters. :)

I’ve had a pair from Cabelas for about 15 years. No problems with them except a run in with a barbed wire fence. I use them all the time in the west elk hunting or whitetail in the northeast

I bought a pair of U.S Solid Snake gaiters this season and I like the quality however I can't wear them this fall and winter because they won't zip up if I have a base layer on. I've got too big of calves.

I've got OR crocodile gaiters that I've had for years and the kenetrek. Both have been good.

I’ve had Kuiu, which I liked other than the fit, and OR Crocs. I probably won’t try anything other than OR in the near future.

I’ve only tried one brand so I can’t compare but they worked well. They were first lite. They have two kinds I think mine are whichever ones are the more expensive.

They were a bit tight on the calves and actually wouldn’t fit over one pair of thick insulated boots but worked well other than that.

What you should have said was you packed out your whole moose in one trip only wearing your boots and gaiters. :)

I tore holes in the kenetreks crossing a hundred yards of blowdown to get into the lake. We chainsaws 161 fallen trees to get back out.
I am convinced that dragging my bare wedding tackle across those logs would have been damaging.

I think you need two.
1. for warm weather to keep debris out of the boots/trail runners
2. Winter

1. I've used the FL ones and they've been great
2. I'm still using a hand-me-down pair of OR ones from like mid '80s. They're not all that weather proof anymore, but they're indestructible. I would like a pair in brushed fabric white for actually hunting in the winter.

I think you need two.
1. for warm weather to keep debris out of the boots/trail runners
2. Winter

1. I've used the FL ones and they've been great
2. I'm still using a hand-me-down pair of OR ones from like mid '80s. They're not all that weather proof anymore, but they're indestructible. I would like a pair in brushed fabric white for actually hunting in the winter.
I agree.
For 1) I use OR Flex Tex II, love them
For 2) OR Crocs, finally wore out a pair and replaced with same. I'd like to try SG's but probably be a while til I get around to it.

To answer an earlier question they prevent your pantlegs from absorbing water from snow and wet grass and brush that then wicks that water into your socks, resulting in wet boots. They also keep debris out of the shorter Hikers or running shoes.

I wore my Kenetreks for pheasant hunting after a rain and they were great for that. I feel they are too noisy for bowhunting though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back