Caribou Gear

Hunting gaiters

Been wondering what to replace my 20+ yr old Cabella's with this year... tall grass and wet mornings for a change. Taking notes.

I have Kenetrek and Kuiu. I prefer the Kuiu for me they seem to fit perfectly, stay in place, are quiet, and durable. The Kenetrek are good but seem to get loose after some miles and have to be readjusted, they also seem a bit noisy when brushed against anything. I hear a lot of people complain about Kuiu gators not fitting large calves...I have very small calves for my body size 6ft 190lbs. It is just like boots, every body is different. If you have a chance to try some on that would help. I always look at durability first..doesn't matter who makes them, how much they cost, but if it won't hold up or fails on a hunt they aren't worth it.

I have been wearing my Outdoor Research Goretex gaiters for many years now. Replaced one zipper, but they still function very well.
Whenever I hunt the mountains wearing my Kenetrek Mountain Extreme boots, the gaiters go on as well. I am pleased with the performance of both.

In the Northeast gaiters are not a popular thing and I think they would be noisy in the thick country we hunt. We bought some for our mule deer hunts out West and they were awesome. I started wearing them around home once we get snow. I have Kenetrek camo ones...which are a slightly different quieter material.

Protection from water, brush, dirt, rocks, other debris as you hike. In winter, gaiters keep boots, ankles, and legs protected from cold, wet, and snow.
Once you wear gaiters you will know the answer to your question.
I will order a pair before our NM hunt end of October.

Looking for advise on what type of gaiters you all like. Will be elk hunting in Colorado. I’ve used the cheap brands which I was ok with but they ripped and I’m looking to get a pair . Thoughts? Opinions ?

T&K Hunting Gear make a really great gaiter. Tougher then wood pecker lips and if they dont offer your size get on contact with Tyler and he will probably accommodate you. But unless your brock lesner your not gonna have much problem with sizing.

I'll put my vote in for the red fox ones as well. Reasonably priced, and pretty good quality. Only thing that happened to me, was on the metal buckle that goes through the bottom loop hole, that bent, tried bending it back, but after a while it just broke off. So i cut the strap that goes around the bottom of the boot off and still worked good.

Have a pair of the kentreks also, however, it is one of the camo kind. For some reason to me, it seems like it isn't as waterproof as say a solid color from them. I think its a material type for the solid to the camo. Came out of the woods walking in north idaho, and everything was soaked, and my books were soaked through also. Will do more testing though.

I have first lite gators but my hunting part we got the stone glaciers and it took me five minutes to decide I’m ordering a pair as well!

Just curious, what about them made you decide in 5 minutes? I like the boot strap made out of dyneema, if it breaks in the field it can be replaced with 550 easy enough. I'm up for a switch, but baulking on the price tag of SG, Sitka, OR, Kuiu...

I've been using Kuiu for about 10yrs now w/ no complaints, and fit me well. I've been wanting a second pair as back up.... well low and behold I found a pair elk hunting last month! Sweet! :)

Just curious, what about them made you decide in 5 minutes? I like the boot strap made out of dyneema, if it breaks in the field it can be replaced with 550 easy enough. I'm up for a switch, but baulking on the price tag of SG, Sitka, OR, Kuiu...
The Dyneema, the materials it’s made of and the adjustability. I have skinny little legs and swim in most gators and have to fight to keep them up. The amount adjustment in the ankle to calf area is a huge range. Making the gator tight along the whole leg which reduces slipping.

The Dyneema, the materials it’s made of and the adjustability. I have skinny little legs and swim in most gators and have to fight to keep them up. The amount adjustment in the ankle to calf area is a huge range. Making the gator tight along the whole leg which reduces slipping.
Good to know. I've got the same problem with my dainty lady calves. Probably order me a set. If they suck, I'm blaming you.

I shot a moose in BC which tried to swim away before dying.
I was able to strip down and swim out and get it.
But then boneless quartered along the bank. After dressing me and then him.
I was able to work from lakeside in about 14 inches of water in my lace up boots with gaiters on.
I needed to keep moving but was able to keep my feet dry.

In snow they really help to keep ice and moisture out.

Whats the major benefit to hunting with gaiters?
Also, one issue I had when hunting or just hiking in more of a hiking boot type of boot, was getting grasses, branches, sticks, etc. that would fall down into my boot/socks or between my ankle and the tongue of the boot. So even if it is not wet out, sometimes i still throw the gaiters on when wearing those types of boots to avoid digging out stuff that doesn't belong in the boot.

My OR ones always slide down my skinny calves. My kuiu ones are now my favorite. No complaints at all.

Back