Hunting dog names

The Swiss Family Robinson author Johan Wyss had the father insist that the best animal names have a long "O" sound in it as it's easy on the vocal cords and it carries a long way. I have used two syllable words for names and one syllable words for action commands.

Don't worry, the dog will name itself. It will do something or remind you of something and the name will just pop into your head.

This has been my experience.

My first border collie was born on my grandpa "Soph's" birthday so she was Sophie. Grandpa got the nickname as a kid in school singing Do-Rey-Me wrong.

Tuck's littermate was named Nip.

Rocky had a rock shaped spot on his side.

Packer was named after Alferd Packer of Gunnison

Loco was found along the train tracks

Gator was hell on chewing stuff as a puppy.

The names I remember growing up were Rover, Ol' Yeller, Shredder and Daisy.

The last few dogs have been Macy, Lucy and Sadie.

My buddy in college had a ranch dog (border collie) named Hay. His Dad never got around to naming his new pup, but would say, "Hey, get over here." "Hey, don't chew on that" ect. Soon he realized that the dog was answering to hey, and since it was a ranch dog, they changed the spelling to Hay and called it good.

My buddy in college had a ranch dog (border collie) named Hay. His Dad never got around to naming his new pup, but would say, "Hey, get over here." "Hey, don't chew on that" ect. Soon he realized that the dog was answering to hey, and since it was a ranch dog, they changed the spelling to Hay and called it good.
Yeah, my Lab Ellie answered to a few other names during her first couple of years ... none of which are suitable to publish on a public forum that children sometimes read.

The best hunting dog I ever had was a rescue 1 yr old when I got him named him hunter never thought he may turn out to be a good bird dog just liked the name
And boy did he take to hunting like a duck on water he lived for it! my friends would call and ask if hunter could come out to play
hes been gone 9 yrs now and I still miss him still gets to me weeding around his stone

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back