Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Hunting conspiracy theories

The southeastern US is full of black panthers, everybody seems to have seen one and all the game departments are lying about them not being here so they won’t have to deal with the issue... blah blah blah. If I had a $ for every black panther sighting I’ve heard about I’d be well on my way to affording a sheep hunt.

We see a few credible reports and sightings of bear and wolves in our area of NE Iowa annually. They are usually single young male animals that wander in from northern Wisconsin. It never fails that someone starts a rumor that the DNR planted them. I even had a guy tell me he saw the DNR truck with a black stock trailer unloading bears into some public land. Since I know the conservation officer the next time I saw him I told him about the black trailer. Well, in this case it was true. One of the bears wandering around had been tearing apart a beekeepers hives so they trapped the bear and moved it several miles to the public land. But the big black trailer at night, or helicopter I’ve heard too, is usually a unsubstantiated rumor.

The southeastern US is full of black panthers, everybody seems to have seen one and all the game departments are lying about them not being here so they won’t have to deal with the issue... blah blah blah. If I had a $ for every black panther sighting I’ve heard about I’d be well on my way to affording a sheep hunt.
My mom will swear to this day she saw a black panther on the side of the road in SE Oklahoma. She is also blind in one eye and terrible with depth perception. No clue where the black panther myth comes from but tons of people except them as fact in my area.

Best one I've heard is that once all the baby boomers drop out odds for drawing tags will get better.

My mom will swear to this day she saw a black panther on the side of the road in SE Oklahoma. She is also blind in one eye and terrible with depth perception. No clue where the black panther myth comes from but tons of people except them as fact in my area.

Best one I've heard is that once all the baby boomers drop out odds for drawing tags will get better.

Mate the black panther crap exists here! It's either grainy footage of a black housecat or some idiot misidentifying a black wallaby darting across a track in front of them.

Black panthers Running loose.
Mountain lion sighting daily.
Coyotes chasing people up trees (Trust me, they are terrified of people).
Hogs chasing people up trees (Trust me, they are terrified of people.)

We see a few credible reports and sightings of bear and wolves in our area of NE Iowa annually. They are usually single young male animals that wander in from northern Wisconsin. It never fails that someone starts a rumor that the DNR planted them. I even had a guy tell me he saw the DNR truck with a black stock trailer unloading bears into some public land. Since I know the conservation officer the next time I saw him I told him about the black trailer. Well, in this case it was true. One of the bears wandering around had been tearing apart a beekeepers hives so they trapped the bear and moved it several miles to the public land. But the big black trailer at night, or helicopter I’ve heard too, is usually a unsubstantiated rumor.

Well there has been a bill introduced this year to make it illegal to kill black bear in Iowa now....

I have heard it claimed that the DNR introduced mt. lions here to reduce the deer herds for the insurance agencies.

I've been chased up a tree twice by hogs. To be fair it was provoked both times.

I agree the majority of hogs are, but I do know someone that was attacked by one while quail hunting here in California.

Get between a 400 lb sow and her 2 day old litter of piglets and then tell me how afraid hogs are of people. Still have the scars from that one.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back