MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

Hunting cabins

Akcabin

I don't see much about folks building a cabin to have a place to hunt out of. Although most of us would like one. I built our cabin because I enjoy hunting n being out. And knew I would get older n having a place in the middle of nowhere would make that easier. And it does.
Seems when folks buy most properties now they have to go see the government first so you can follow alllll the rules. Not sure. For me its just something I wanted to do. And beautiful wife said it allowed me to be outside so supported me , as she knows how important that is to me. We probably couldn't afford it either. I bartered guns for the logs n such. And i had good friends.
I know there's a lot of folks who would enjoy a cabin to hunt out of. Why did you or didn't you give it a go ? 4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg4AACA1C4-E528-412F-B948-A7C06B4EEF23.jpeg20210411_111329.jpgAAB35075-5643-4767-8299-78D089BD06AA.jpegEF5CA638-AB6A-4BAE-A86C-B159961C7E06.jpeg77A3B9D3-A852-4334-9FA9-AB762DF63FD7.jpeg1253285C-7726-4165-99B7-F526F163590F.jpeg26E71138-52C0-48DA-90B0-F95FF7AB268E.jpeg7F10B0A9-1DB2-407C-9E47-7E49C85647A0.jpeg

I haven't YET due to prior military and now getting the Hunting Princess finished with HS. The time is coming quickly for me and I am still consternating over build styles and locations. I surely wouldn't mind sitting in front of that wood stove with an adult beverage at the end of a day in the woods!!

Nice !

I like to visit Alaska but I couldn't live there because I've had arthritis in my left knee since I was 19 from an injury when I was 13.
I have to live in the warm dry desert. Where I grew up in the foothills of the Sierra Nevadas the winters were excruciating to my knee and that's what prompted my frequent trips to Hawaii beginning at age 19.
I live in the desert now and it's good for my bones.
It's tough being an old man at age 19.

I’ve opted to build mine on wheels. I like the idea of a hunt cabin, but I really enjoy going to new places and exploring as part of the hunt. I’m playing with many different options and can change the layout based on where I’m hunting/fishing.

I can see you have a lot of time and effort in your cabin and I’m sure it’s a fantastic retreat for you when you’re not hunting. Really nice spot you have there too. Looking forward to seeing what others post on this thread.

@Akcabin Life Goals right here! I'm hoping to buy a remote piece of Alaska and Build a cabin some day.
My current life revolves more around sports and school for kids and trying to pay off our debt and get into a better situation to afford those. My current position for 3 more years I only get 2 weeks of vacation so I wouldn't get to used it as much as I wanted anyway. But As I get older and become more financially free then I definitely want to do that

Started building a place very similar to yours several years ago in Wyo. Do a little more each year. Its on 10 acres and borders Nat Forest on two sides. No real neighbors to speak of. In Gen areas for deer and elk. Can and do hunt right out the front door although more often than not we hit the mountains to the west. We can drive to the front door most years around mid May - early Nov. Other times its a mile snowshoe walk in. Love everything about the place. About half timber and half open meadow. Only thing I wish is that it was a bit closer to good fishing. Had a well when I bought it.IMG_2176.jpg8121 6.jpgIMG_2912.JPGafterpan.jpegChall Creek fire.jpeg

Ran everything off a gas generator for years. Switched to solar this year. Solar is so much better.

Over the years a couple of major fires have come close. My place is one the right side in the fire photo. Those FS firefighters are an amazing group of men and women that I cannot thank enough for what they did and what they risked. Spent this last weekend building a storage rack for split wood and cutting sections and rounds in prep for this fall. The fire has created a lifetime supply of dry standing firewood.

Didn’t build them, but I currently own two off-grid cabins - one in MT and one in WY. A major criteria for selecting each was proximity to good hunting and access to public land. In hindsight, they both seem to have been good investments as well, especially when you factor in the ability to use and enjoy the investment as it appreciates.

6BD70D2B-BBDA-4F15-9257-4782F3F11B3D.jpeg99B1DA0C-C2ED-4FEA-A28F-E26A432144FD.jpeg

Occasionally the neighbors stop by for a visit…. 😆
366AC2AC-2C51-4806-AA7C-C130B2DF71C1.jpeg

Last edited:
Well timed thread. My wife and I just purchased 22 acres bordering National Forest this last winter. General elk and deer, and great wildlife viewing/amazing views. It's vacant land right now, no well or power, and we're looking to go with something off grid. This thread certainly keeps the creative juices flowing on an already active mind thinking about the possibilities. Access in my truck runs mid-May - mid-December, depending on snow. I'd planned to do some dirt work this summer, but with busy schedules and high fire danger, all I've accomplished thus far is transplanting some small pines on the lot, and moving a fair amount of firewood (the area burned in the late 2000's- lots of firewood to be cleaned up yet..).

How deep are your concrete footings for those that have already shared? And how far did you span between them?

How deep are your concrete footings for those that have already shared? And how far did you span between them?
Our footers are 6' down, if memory serves me right. We have a poured foundation around the entire cabin. The footers for the deck are 5' down and span is no more that 12'. We have seen no movement going on 15 years or so.

4 feet, hand dug, hand mixed and poured concrete. Span will depend on your foundation and framing plan and materials. My foundation and base is 6x6 treated timbers.
Cabin started, dried-in summer of 2002. Solid and sweeeet still today!

Very cool! Roughly how much do these cabins cost to build? Sounds like bartering was involved in some cases and a lot of DIY labor in most others, but how much do you estimate that you have in materials?

Very cool! Roughly how much do these cabins cost to build? Sounds like bartering was involved in some cases and a lot of DIY labor in most others, but how much do you estimate that you have in materials?
Having built almost two decades ago, the relevancy has decayed. But generally I was fortunate to be able to do all the work myself and to scrounge or inexpensively acquire many of the materials. For whatever value to you, here is my story.

In 1980 I bought twenty acres in the mountains northeast of Bozeman intending to "flip" it for college money for our kids, but never needed to. Same year the oldest grandson who became my hunting buddy was born, I built the cabin. I drew up plans, purchased framing materials and during the winter I cut all the studs, headers, rafters, ties, and anything with firm dimensions. The true divided light, screened windows were constructed from inexpensive wood barn sash windows to be opened with simple cabinet hinges. The framing materials "kit" was hauled up in the horse trailer as soon as weather and road conditions allowed. A generator was used to power construction tools. Funky "wiggly" wood logs were collected over a few years from firewood piles to construct the front porch to emulate the design seen in the Old Faithful Lodge. Rough sawn fir lumber was scrounged from scrap piles and also ordered from a nearby sawmill for historic board & batten siding. I stored it outside to give it a rustic, hundred year old appearance. Wide plank fir wood flooring was purchased from a woodworker whose relative had milled it for his new home, but had excess material he sold to me for an attractive price. The Vogelsang parlor stove was a sale bargain from Okay Hardware. The roofing metal was purchased during a Bridger Steel sale event. The blue pine wainscot and ceiling boards were bought from a newspaper ad, as well as all cabinets from someone remodeling the kitchen in their home on the Yellowstone River near Gardiner. Cabinet and door pulls were fashioned from elk and deer antlers I accumulated. The flat lichen rocks for the stove base were collected off the hill above the cabin. (As wife & I sledded them down the slope one hot July day, our daughter sat on the porch with a cold beverage and stated, "I always tell my friends about the goofy stuff you guys do ... but sledding rocks in July is really funny!") The rustic bunks, log ladder, and trim I fashioned from whatever materials I could scrounge.

The project start-up involved a couple of years of designing, planning, scrounging and purchasing materials and components, but the result is a cabin constructed relatively inexpensively ... but with as much care, forethought, and creativity this old dog could muster. I do encourage you to begin your dream similarly. The added value is priceless!

Last edited:
Having built almost two decades ago, the relevancy has decayed. But generally I was fortunate to be able to do all the work myself and to scrounge or inexpensively acquire many of the materials. For whatever value to you, here is my story.

In 1980 I bought twenty acres in the mountains northeast of Bozeman intending to "flip" it for college money for our kids, but never needed to. Same year the oldest grandson who became my hunting buddy was born, I built the cabin. I drew up plans, purchased framing materials and during the winter I cut all the studs, headers, rafters, ties, and anything with firm dimensions. The true divided light, screened windows were constructed from inexpensive wood barn sash windows to be opened with simple cabinet hinges. The framing materials "kit" was hauled up in the horse trailer as soon as weather and road conditions allowed. A generator was used to power construction tools. Funky "wiggly" wood logs were collected over a few years from firewood piles to construct the front porch to emulate the design seen in the Old Faithful Lodge. Rough sawn fir lumber was scrounged from scrap piles and also ordered from a nearby sawmill for historic board & batten siding. I stored it outside to give it a rustic, hundred year old appearance. Wide plank fir wood flooring was purchased from a woodworker whose relative had milled it for his new home, but had excess material he sold to me for an attractive price. The Vogelsang parlor stove was a sale bargain from Okay Hardware. The roofing metal was purchased during a Bridger Steel sale event. The blue pine wainscot and ceiling boards were bought from a newspaper ad, as well as all cabinets from someone remodeling the kitchen in their home on the Yellowstone River near Gardiner. Cabinet and door pulls were fashioned from elk and deer antlers I accumulated. The flat lichen rocks for the stove base were collected off the hill above the cabin. (As wife & I sledded them down the slope one hot July day, our daughter sat on the porch with a cold beverage and stated, "I always tell my friends about the goofy stuff you guys do ... but sledding rocks in July is really funny!") The rustic bunks, log ladder, and trim I fashioned from whatever materials I could scrounge.

The project start-up involved a couple of years of designing, planning, scrounging and purchasing materials and components, but the result is a cabin constructed relatively inexpensively ... but with as much care, forethought, and creativity this old dog could muster. I do encourage you to begin your dream similarly. The added value is priceless!
That's the way to do it. Nice. mtmuley

Great story! My wife and I like to stay busy with projects around our house (kitchen remodel, some furniture here and there), but maybe we haven't been dreaming big enough! We just had our first child last fall and life has been a little chaotic, but this could be an awesome adventure to set-in on as a family. You've definitely inspired me!

Very cool guys, thanks for sharing. Don’t see many around here as most everything is farm ground. Know of maybe 6-7 cabins used for hunting. Mostly “poor” farmers put up a 100k shen and finish it out to hunt/drink beer in.
Very envious of guys who live out west with lots of public ground

Our cabin pilings are used utility poles I got for free. Coated Cedar that are 4'-5' deep. 6' on center. Drilled holes with a 2 man auger. I used 6"×12" beams to span. I had to freight everything you see. Probably the hardest part. And took years.
But spending that much time in the bush only helps me be more familiar with the habitat n critters that live there. All good

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ram0307
Back