Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Hunting cabins

Here's a pic of our hunting / fishing camp in southern IL. Been deer hunting the area for many years, several years ago bought some ground and built a real nice pole barn cabin. It's finished out nice with heat & AC, woodstove, full kitchen and bath, two bedrooms, big open living / dining area and a small garage area to keep the ATV, mower, tools, etc. Very low maintenance and economical.
So much nicer to come back to hot meals and hot showers vs camping or staying in a motel.
1628105267500.png

The only hunting cabins that I have hunted out of were in NZ. They have around 700 Huts throughout the country and are only accessible by foot, helicopter, or boat. They are first come-first serve and free. Well, mostly free, technically some of them require a small fee but nobody bothers with it.
IMG_3422.JPG20150519_132632.jpgIMG_0877.JPGIMG_1139.JPG

I am in the process of building a shipping container cabin. First phase is two bedroom, 1.5 bath.
it will be my winter project here and plan to install next spring.

Oh man! This topics right up my alley!

Bought a piece of property with adjacent NF access a few years back and am now planning my off grid cabin build up there.

Great replies n nice to read about other cabins n how others solve their issues. For me the planning was good but have to say that the solving the logistics was the most difficult. Being miles off the road or trail most everything happened in the winter. So was done freighting with a snogo. So knowing how to fix these is part of the gig. Along with getting stuck in snow up to your neck breaking trail . After we haul it for a couple hours up the icy roads through the moose park. Leaving my beautiful wife out there by herself during breakdowns scares me the most. Most best is when the northern lights are out, it's almost magical and certainly spiritual. Took years but worth every second !
Thoughts of passing it down to our kids n future family.
My beautiful wife reminds me that she knew it was something I needed to do. And made it happen as much as me, to support me. How great is that man.
Lots of cabins n cabin stories. Maybe some of your cabin stories, although we all know that what happens at the cabin stays at the cabin

Hello all. I was able to get the TnG pine for the lid upstairs, 100 gallons of gasoline, a new generator and an old mini freezer out to the cabin this spring. We are planning on flying out in a couple weeks to spend some time finishing up projects n looking for moose antlers, RnR. Both kinds.
I'm kinda hoping that my plan for a walk in cooler is going to work. I insulated the 8x12 generator shed. And freighted out a small air conditioner to mount on it. Turning it into a cooler. The freezer will be in there also, so I could open up the freezer n help cool things down faster. Going to try one of those units that turn the freezer into a refrigerator so we have refrigeration if we need it. Or freezing. Going to make life a lot easier when we harvest a moose and don't have to rush to get it flown out. And I can stay out.
I've been looking forward to this. We're building our retirement home this year so kinda busy. But coming years will find me out a lot more, hopefully.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back