PEAX Equipment

Hunter harassment in the field.

TomTeriffic

Has this happened to you ever as a law-abiding hunter? Has this happened to any other hunters you know? Is there a hotline to call in case of hunter harrassment in the field? I say hunters should man up and not bullied off legal and proper lands if harasssed. Stand your ground and bring unlawful harassers to justice.

Never been harassed for "Hunting" but I have been bullied about being on public lands by the lease or owner adjacent land.
I always know where I'm at, many times better than the land bully. I try to explain calmly where there wrong, if that does not work I call the sheriff and let them work it out.

I mentioned I was a hunter to the Purchasing Lady for a customer of ours. She abruptly told me she didn’t like hunters and excluded us from the bid. It cost the company I work for $300k a month in business. It didn’t happen in the field but I thought that was wrong. We protect LBGTQ from that kind of thing but it’s apparently OK to be biased against hunters.

Never been harassed for "Hunting" but I have been bullied about being on public lands by the lease or owner adjacent land.
I always know where I'm at, many times better than the land bully. I try to explain calmly where there wrong, if that does not work I call the sheriff and let them work it out.
Yes, good idea. Have the number to the local sheriff's department or state game warden handy on the phone. Have your phone camera ready to gather any evidence. Lawmen should be knowledgable regarding firearms laws and tresspass law. The state game officals know all the game rules and hunter harrassment, which can be a jailable or fineable offense. Sometimes, it takes a game warden to set a policeman straight on the hunting regs.

Some adjacent landowners complain about the noisy guns and domestic animals like horses that get spooked. There was a story years ago about shotgun pellets falling on some woman's henhouse roof.

Now in this television show, there is a good example of "hunters" who are really bozos from the city:

I’ve been pestered by people that “owned” blm because they had ag leases. You’ll never see a warden issue a ticket in those cases.

I deal with an awful lot of people who just so happen to decide to (see below) while their neighbors are hunting nearby.

1) Survey the property line
2) Cut brush
3) Drop trees with a chainsaw
4) Target shoot
5) Celebrate with fireworks
6) Let their barking dogs run loose
7) Bang pots and pans to scare predators
8) Test their car/home alarms
9) Drive down the road, radio blasting
10) Joy ride ATVs

I could keep this list going...

The joys of living in the east.

Then there is the issue of hunting on lands open/accesible to the public for hunting whether public or private. It's not like gold prospecting where one can stake claims. There might be a water hole on a walk-in property that preseason scouting might have indicated to be a "honey hole" for dove. I'm not even sure if walk-in lands are open for preseason scouting. I'm sure spots on public-access lands are first come/first serve. Somebody could come by to your honey hole and claim to "have a lease" on it. I've never hunted public accessible lands before, only private lands with guides and control in the field. I've considered hunting walk-in properties and such but I fear that could be a potential hassle. I don't know how many hunters are generally allowed on a walk-in property at once or how this is controlled to keep matters civil. Perhaps, hunting these should only be done by permit or by reservation. For dove hunting, positions should be assigned maybe? Otherwise there might be safety issues or territorial disputes. Wolves are natural pack hunters and they are territorial.

I mentioned I was a hunter to the Purchasing Lady for a customer of ours. She abruptly told me she didn’t like hunters and excluded us from the bid. It cost the company I work for $300k a month in business. It didn’t happen in the field but I thought that was wrong. We protect LBGTQ from that kind of thing but it’s apparently OK to be biased against hunters.
Dang! I bet your boss was pissed at you. Honestly no good reason to talk hunting nowadays if you don’t have a real good grasp on your audience

I deal with an awful lot of people who just so happen to decide to (see below) while their neighbors are hunting nearby.

1) Survey the property line
2) Cut brush
3) Drop trees with a chainsaw
4) Target shoot
5) Celebrate with fireworks
6) Let their barking dogs run loose
7) Bang pots and pans to scare predators
8) Test their car/home alarms
9) Drive down the road, radio blasting
10) Joy ride ATVs

I could keep this list going...

The joys of living in the east.
This happens in the west depending on the property. A good cattle roundup on the opener will do the same thing. You got to hunt like a ninja. If no one knows your hunting they can’t screw you up

This happens in the west depending on the property. A good cattle roundup on the opener will do the same thing. You got to hunt like a ninja. If no one knows your hunting they can’t screw you up
I know some great cattle folks and many of them do plan gathering cattle mid Oct or so, mostly due to weather.

I know some great cattle folks and many of them do plan gathering cattle mid Oct or so, mostly due to weather.
It’s a common time to ship calves to market also. My point was that screwing hunters up on purpose has been going on for a dang long time all across the country not just in the east. I know of several accessible state sections in my area that get large amounts of cattle put in them during hunting season.

It’s a common time to ship calves to market also. My point was that screwing hunters up on purpose has been going on for a dang long time all across the country not just in the east. I know of several accessible state sections in my area that get large amounts of cattle put in them during hunting season.
Somebody just has it in for the American hunter. Each and every way you slice it.

Among stupid BLUE STATE game regs, FEES, anti-hunting/anti-gun wokeness, "Oh, those cute little doves are songbirds!", "Oh, those cute little Bambi deer!", the high cost of this sport, damfools in the field who ruin it for good folks, "It is cruel to kill animals" from the mouths of hypocrites who eat steaks, fried chicken, bacon, ham, hot dogs and hamburgers, and droves of hunters' battling for prime hunting grounds, my goodness!

Last edited:
Local mounted police take a dim view of legal hunters/shooters being bothered......they will respond quickly if called........
mostly goose hunters in fields in this area(South of me,about 10 miles). Out in the mountains,I would guess 99% of the TREE HUGGERS / LIEF LICKERS know better than to engage the hunters.........no cell phone reception........

I used to leave notes on guys windshields in the trailhead... Telling them they were awful at calling elk, their camo was old and faded and, their wife says hi, and they should go back to Bozeman, even if they weren't from there.

I also like a good heckle on the river. Guys get really embarrassed when you start laughing when they miss netting a fish or get called out for obvious snagging. Yelling "hey bear" right at dark, really loud, followed by "you think it worked" always turns heads, and many times opens up a spot on the river. I'll probably get punched one of these years, but until then...June 11 can't come soon enough.

More anti-hunting remarks:

1. I don't want to eat what I kill. Somebody always has to do their dirty work: kill their store-bought chicken, pork and beef.
2. Well, butchering domestic animals is different. I agree. Using a capative bolt pistol at the slaughterhouse is not nearly as much fun as a shotgun or rifle in the dove field or deer woods, respectively. Wild game has no harmful chemicals. It's purely orgnaic.

Last edited:
Over the past several years there's been a commercial woodcutter (maybe he had a permit, though he seemed a bit sketch) clanking around on closed FS roads during buck season.

Not a big deal, except for leaving trash everywhere (think potato chip bags and twinkies wrappers).

And while as a woodcutter he collected certain types of logs, due to all the junk food, he'd leave behind another kind of log -- sort of like replacing divots on a golf course.

Left them all over, uncovered on the side of the road, with used TP blowing around. Thanks guy! Not as bad after a rainstorm, but could be categorized as inadvertent hunter harassment.

I've never been directly harassed but I have come back to camp after a day out to find it destroyed

PEAX Trekking Poles

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sscrano
Back