Hunter from Eastern Tennessee

TN_Rifle_Junkie

My first hunt was an invite from a friend in Kentucky to go whitetail hunting on his soybean, corn, and chicken farm.

Little did I know, he lived in whitetail central. Monster bucks and does. We scouted for an evening and then made out to the "stand" for a cold drizzly morning of hunting. He knew the property, he had been hunting it since he could hold a rifle. We talked about the property, where the deer come from, what to expect, and what not to do. We saw a coyote and a fox at first light. I was pumped and ready to hunt. I had buck fever.

As the hours passed, nothing was stirring, it was just too wet, and too cold. Buck fever turned into frozen toes, so we packed up and headed to the main house for some target practice and breakfast. We had been friends for a couple years, he showed my around the rest of the farm, and we drove the county on a scenic tour and just BSing about everything like two old boys do.

We decided that it would be better to go coyote hunting that night as the rain had just stopped before nightfall. Man, what an eye-opener. The chicken farm brought the yotes in by the droves. Being my first time, I got skunked, but he laid the hammer down, protecting his flocks (2.5 million birds). He was a man on a mission, if it moved and was a fox or yote, it expired that night.

The next morning, we headed to the "stand" (a wire spool on the edge of a fallow soybean field), and waited. Just after daybreak a large group of does came out of the woods, right where he said they would be the morning before. First one, looking cautiously around the field, then another, until 5 stood tall. They bolted across the field from around 500 to 750 yards away, stopped, and looked around before thinking about entering the next woodline. My friend on his spotting scope and rangefinder tells me 875 yards to the big one in the front.

Having experience in Long Range Shooting competitions, I let one fly (no wind). And watch it sail right over her body. Wind call was perfect, elevation, not so much. He corrects the distance, "750" he says. I take out a MIL of elevation, PEW, I let another fly. The bullet seems to hang in the air forever. I watch it crest and fall, it hits her so hard, I see the ripple of her flesh and she jumps high into the air. He says, "Niccccceeeeee".

After giving here a few minutes to expire, we go back to the truck, load up and drive the mile or so to the nearest entry into his fields. With the heavy smell of fresh manure, the rain from yesterday, and ankle deep mud, we trek out to her. A prefect double lung shot. Final distance you ask, well that was 767 yards,and she weighed in at 118 pounds on the hooks at the butcher shop. Yeah, I was hooked.

Since that fateful Thanksgiving Day in 2015 I have hunted whitetail, blackbuck, oryx, and eastern mountain turkey. I eat everything I hunt and cherish each and every outing. We love wild game so much in my house, that rarely do we buy any meat from a store (except chicken). This year my plans are to go on my first elk hunt in Colorado and put in for multiple draws out west in the coming years. My goals, share my long range shooting knowledge, help new shooters and hunters, and eventually go on a "big sheep", "speed goat", and "caribou" hunt someday.

Last edited:
Welcome, just a word of caution on this site. While those type of shots are impressive on steel. They are frowned upon on live animals here. There is way too much room for error and wounding at those distances. I don’t say that to scare you away or question your ethics. I just wanted to inform you on what I’ve seen on this site since I’ve been here.

Welcome, just a word of caution on this site. While those type of shots are impressive on steel. They are frowned upon on live animals here. There is way too much room for error and wounding at those distances. I don’t say that to scare you away or question your ethics. I just wanted to inform you on what I’ve seen on this site since I’ve been here.

I was debating bringing it up since he was hunting private property in the post with a spotter, etc. I'm just crossing my fingers and hoping it's not a common thing for most of his hunts.

Thank you very much for the heads up. I understand that most people shy away from taking shots outside their comfort zone, as do I. Being a competitive long range rifleman, I spend countless hours at the range engaging target of 1 to 1.5 MOA from 200 to 1400 yards on a very regular basis.

This was not a rushed or "rapid engagement" we had plenty of time to break the shot. The target area of a 100+ pound whitetail dear is 18". It was a calculated risk to take the shot, agreed. But I have a lot of confidence in my abilities, my rifle capabilities, and the impact energy needed to harvest this animal.

I absolutely agree that no hunter should take a shot outside of their comfort zone or that would/could not kill the animal. That is extremely unethical and immoral.

I do a lot of research on internal and external ballistics to include bullet expansion and terminal energy before undertaking any hunt. I always have a predetermined "max range" that I feel comfortable shooting given the atmospheric conditions. (Temperature/wind/DA) I also talk with other hunters who hunt these areas and animals to ensure I am aware of what I am getting myself into before undertaking a big game hunt.

I’m glad you are a competent long rage shooter. You may find the guys over at Long Range Hunting more your style.

The message I got from your post is it was your first hunt and your inexperienced in shooting animals and what you feel like when things go south. That doe could of taken a step or turned in the bullets flight time. 18” is a exaggeration of her ethical kill zone and you just as likely could of wounded her. You were very lucky everything went right. There are numerous things that can go wrong with this scenario.

You may not like this post. However, when you stay awake at night with your guts turning, knowing there is a animal suffering you will think twice. Even the best hunters have those moments, God knows I have. We did everything right and it still went south.

At the end of the day it was a doe and there isn’t any reason you had to take a long range shot. If you can’t get closer to a doe on a farm field you need to re-evaluate what hunting is, it is definitely not just shooting.

Anyway, welcome and I will get off my soap box.

I’m glad you are a competent long rage shooter. You may find the guys over at Long Range Hunting more your style.

The message I got from your post is it was your first hunt and your inexperienced in shooting animals and what you feel like when things go south. That doe could of taken a step or turned in the bullets flight time. 18” is a exaggeration of her ethical kill zone and you just as likely could of wounded her. You were very lucky everything went right. There are numerous things that can go wrong with this scenario.

You may not like this post. However, when you stay awake at night with your guts turning, knowing there is a animal suffering you will think twice. Even the best hunters have those moments, God knows I have. We did everything right and it still went south.

At the end of the day it was a doe and there isn’t any reason you had to take a long range shot. If you can’t get closer to a doe on a farm field you need to re-evaluate what hunting is, it is definitely not just shooting.

Anyway, welcome and I will get off my soap box.
I agree with you. Anything can go wrong. If you hunt long enough, something will go wrong. You are absolutely correct. During the first hunt, I did not consider the "what if's".

Since this first hunt, I have completely changed my "style" of hunting. I like the spot and stalk more than the actual harvest of the animal. The thrill of the hunt I guess you could say. Rarely would I even consider taking a shot of this range again unless I was 100% sure it would be a fatal shot.

You make a lot of great points, and there is always something to be learned from everyone in the field. Thank you!!!

There are a Lot of very good shooters on here. They shoot farther and better than I could ever imagine. They are also great and very humble hunters. Stick around and absorb what you can. You will find that this is a great group of people concentrated on conservation, ethics, and public land.

Being here has changed my outlook on a lot of issues and definitely broaden my horizons. It has made me a better hunter, a better shooter, and a better voter.

Back