Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunt Talker Hunt 2014

This will be my first bear hunt...what does anyone suggest I bring for a rifle? I have a 30-06 and .300WINMAG for bigger rifles. What sort of weather can we expect?

Just a heads up, but if you are camping on a federal land campground I'd suggest checking in to see if you need a special permit for a 'group'. I know of at least one BLM office that requires a special use permit for group events. Just something to think about...

I'd really like to be there as well, just not sure right now. Once dates are set, I'll pencil it on the calendar, but if I go I won't be able to commit until closer to time.

30-06 or 300 winny, take your favorite, either is just fine.

Weather forecast is: "spring in Montana", 0-70 degrees, windy, rainy, hail, snow and sun all at the same time.

Hey it's bad juju to try and contain the weather like that. A couple years ago it hit 90 on the May 15 for the WMA openers.

I'd guess a "normal" spring day would be high around 50-60, low around 30-40, and a pretty good chance of rain.

Guys, I created a Google Group where we can keep some particulars of the conversation focused. We can keep the chatter here, but relevant details about location, timing, thoughts on where to hunt we can keep semi-private so those points of the conversation can be focused.

Shoot me a PM with your email and I will send you an invite to the group.

The spot we're looking at right now has both blacks and grizzlies, does that deter anyone?

I would love to come out and do this hunt with you guys, but I have a major training exercise in the begining of June. So, is it ok to be a tentative yes at this point, until things firm up with work?

being a resident of western MT I would like to throw out the idea of going to a place that has a bunk house. I believe bend guard station would be a good one, sleeps 15-20 has large acreage for camping, close fishing, huge number of acres to "spread out on" for hunting, and literally hunting out the back door. No sure if it is anyones "hunting spot". Know that the forest service only charges like 40 a night for it also.

I can out run you, so I'm good...

Run? Faster than a speeding bullet? Some have yet to learn the real purpose for the backcountry firearm. :D

I do not intend to hunt. I certainly would like to assist with the logistics though. Once the date is pounded out and I can get the "annual leave" locked in work wise, airport transportation, hold over place, 10 minutes from airport, for differing flights (shower / organization for to/from flight) camp cook, 2 wall tents/stoves, 3 spare cots and likely other items usually not reasonable to pack for an air flight.

I think I can make it, can you guys put up with a real old guy? Never hunted bears but will work hard trying. How would an RV work for camping, at the spot your thinking?

hmmm…this sounds interesting. I have hunted the last 2 years with John Cushman and Andy (Big Slick) for lopes and it's been a blast…well for me…not sure about them, but they did allow me to come back a 2nd time. :)

I took the time to see how many miles and cost versus flying out. 1200 miles each way, so 2400 just to drive out and back for me. At 3.50 a gallon that is $525 and 2 days each way, not that the time matters. I would also need a hotel for 1 night each way. $100?

To fly it's about $450, 3 hours each way to show up on the 8th and leave the 12th. You also need to think about your gun as well and luggage and hope you don't loose and any the costs, not sure what those would be. And if you get one, you have to get it back…cost?

Just a few things I thought to check someone else might want to look at too.

I also went out to the MT DNR and looked at the success rate for 2012. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/harvestReports.html
Am I reading this correctly? 27,000 tags and only 1441 total bears shot with 739 in the spring?

Last edited:
Guys, this sounds like its really getting serious. I think I might join the party for a few days. I've got a wall tent and plenty of gear to play a support role and cameraman. Don't really need another bear hide but I do love to get after spring bear. Maybe this way Theat and I won't have to argue over who has to shoot the bear if we see one. :)

I can reheat a can of chili with the best of them. :)

Only sissies leave their bacon pants at home. https://vimeo.com/43375276

Attachments

• DSCN0358.JPG
    DSCN0358.JPG
    381.3 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCN2482.jpg
    DSCN2482.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 352
  • DSCN2548.jpg
    DSCN2548.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 349
  • 2011 pictures 034.jpg
    2011 pictures 034.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 351
  • cat soup 018.jpg
    cat soup 018.jpg
    261 KB · Views: 355
You guys have me really interested. Sounds like it'll be a great time and it would be nice to meet everyone. It's a long shot for me but I'm not totally out, so keep the updates coming.

hmmm…this sounds interesting. I have hunted the last 2 years with John Cushman and Andy (Big Slick) for lopes and it's been a blast…well for me…not sure about them, but they did allow me to come back a 2nd time. :)

I took the time to see how many miles and cost versus flying out. 1200 miles each way, so 2400 just to drive out and back for me. At 3.50 a gallon that is $525 and 2 days each way, not that the time matters. I would also need a hotel for 1 night each way. $100?

To fly it's about $450, 3 hours each way to show up on the 8th and leave the 12th. You also need to think about your gun as well and luggage and hope you don't loose and any the costs, not sure what those would be. And if you get one, you have to get it back…cost?

Just a few things I thought to check someone else might want to look at too.

I also went out to the MT DNR and looked at the success rate for 2012. http://fwp.mt.gov/hunting/planahunt/harvestReports.html
Am I reading this correctly? 27,000 tags and only 1441 total bears shot with 739 in the spring?

Yeah those odds are correct. A good majority of those tags are sold to residents though in sportsmans packages, and the hunter never even tries to use them.

That said, it'll be a tough hunt, I don't want guys thinking we'll be stacking dead bears up like cord wood. For the guys coming out of state that want to increase their odds of getting one, I'd really suggest trying to take more time than just the three days we have planned to meet up.

The more time you have on your side the better your chances are. It's no trick to go hunting for bears for 5 days in a row and not see one.

Back