Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunt Talker Hunt 2014

That bear is beautiful! What sort of cell signal will we have up there? I have Verizon and I've been pretty lucky in some places to get signal when others didn't. Also...are bears one of those animals that you have to get up before the buttcrack of dawn to hunt? Andy and Garret can attest to my morning prowess...lol

Last edited:
John, every bear on the mountain goes into hiding unless the hunters are in place well before 4:30 a.m. :)

Bear hunting is usually an afternoon and evening gig.

There is Verizon cell service in the valley near town and on many of the high points, but don't count on it.

I do see bears out in the mornings, but afternoons and evenings tend to be more productive for me.

How far out of 'town' are we going to be camping? I'm looking at proximity to ice for coolers and restocking adult beverages and maybe a steak dinner or two with the guys.

We'll be pretty close to a little town John.

Nearest gentlemen's club will be in Missoula.

Last edited:
This hunt sounds fun for sure. I see most of my bears in the evenings, but I try to hunt all day because bears are active in the spring. The red bull can help with the long hours while bear hunting.image.jpg

You guys hunting Bears in MT. for the first time don't forget to take the Bear ID. test and if I remember correctly tags purchessed after the season opens aren't valid for 24hrs.

You guys hunting Bears in MT. for the first time don't forget to take the Bear ID. test and if I remember correctly tags purchessed after the season opens aren't valid for 24hrs.

I can't load the bear regs on my phone, but I think it's actually five days.

John any bear that doesn't have cubs and isn't a grizzly is bragging rights for a first bear hunt. The average MT bear isn't very big, maybe 4.5-5 feet and 100-150 pounds. They can get way bigger, but they're few and far between.

John, car pool? I'm entertaining the idea of a spring hunt. How many days can you afford to be away?

John, car pool? I'm entertaining the idea of a spring hunt. How many days can you afford to be away?

Sure. I was going to go up a couple days early and stay a couple days late. I'll be headed up 71 into Wyoming and then head west on 80 then 25 North. Are you anywhere near any of that?

http://fwp.mt.gov/education/hunter/bearID/

This link should take you to the Bear ID test. From what I remember, it shows you a picture of a bear and asks you if it is a griz or black bear. You can take it as many times as you like until you pass it. There are a lot of colorphase bears around here and even some black looking grizzlies.

This past legislative session, the regulations were changed from a 5 day wait to a 24 wait to hunt if the license was purchased after the season starts (April 15).

Bears are a tough animal to judge if you haven't spent much time looking at them through glass. Lots of guys shoot small bears thinking they shot a monster until they walk up to it.

Cool. Can I take the test now or do I have to wait for the hunt when I buy my license?

John check out theats link. It's been a couple years but if I remember correctly, you need to pass the test then print out the result page. In the spring send a copy of your successful test and a check and you can have a valid tag in your pocket when you cross the State line.
I haven't checked it out in a few years but I bet you can do it all on line with a CC.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back