Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

thanks for the prompt for updates and accountability...

I finished 7th, so, meeting the goal I suppose, they changed the scoring this year, I would have won using the metric every other comp uses, and this one used last year... a bitter pill to swallow considering I've wanted that trophy really bad for the better part of a decade...

I did drunkenly sign up for the TMR 40 miler immediately afterward though, so goal number 2 is on track...
Good on ya for going down there and trying! I had some friends compete this year. It looked like a good time.

I prefer my winter sufferfest to be of the two planked variety :)

I like that! I think I’m going to start dropping granby rolls on my wife at random times throughout the day, it will be a good workout for both of us. Will report back with progress.😀
If she gets in tight on top and Gable grips all bush league you can both go for a ride.

I'm a big college wrestling fan. I try to watch a couple matches on BTN each weekend. For every match I come up with a different excercise that I have to complete during that match. By the end of the ten individual matches its a pretty good workout. However, its probably offset by the amount I drink leading up to, during, and after the match. My wife also thinks Im nuts.
Sometimes after runs I do stance drills in my front yard 😂

Been between 183 and 190lb for at least the last 15 years. Want to get down below 170 and stay there. Have always tried to stay active and exercise a lot. However, now at age 62, I've finally figured out that my eating habits have to change, if I actually want to lose weight. More time backpacking is the goal this year, maybe some Bob Marshall Wilderness trips.

I started working out in my late teens with weights which progressed into full on cross training by mid twenties. I spent a good 3 hours a day lifting weights, isometrics, cardio, racquet ball. By 30 I was 100% addicted to working out and my day went bad if I didn’t get my morning workout in. By 40 I was totally burnt out, had no desire to do any of it anymore. Between marriage, kids, grandkids, work, I had too much on my plate anymore. I packed on 30 lbs of fat, burnt up my lungs from solvents and welding on stainless steel carriage bodies on trash trucks, basically went from healthy to miserable.
Decided this was the year to leave the pity party, re-dedicated myself to God and getting healthy. I am now a month into my workout on the rowing machine and recumbent exercise bike and have taken the next step. I moved my workout back to mornings today. My body wasn’t thrilled at first when I put on my shorts and tennis shoes at 5AM but by the end of the workout -10 minutes rowing machine, 20 minutes bike I was feeling that old feeling of YES!!! That felt great let’s get this day going!!!!
All that said to say…you can do it! Don’t talk yourself out of being healthy!
God Bless!

I’m down 7lbs since Jan 1. My goal is to lose 45. That will get me down to 200. At 6’2” that’s about as far as want to go.
Keep it up Southern Elk! I am 6’1” and might push the weight loss a little farther than initially planned and see if I can’t get into running shape. I have had all kinds of foot problems, and also some cardiac concerns over the past two years. Alot is due to eating poorly, stress (in addition to wear and tear, work, and being 47). I got reassuring reports from the cardiologist after a bunch of testing, and have been self-tending my feet with stretches, warmups, inserts, better boots, and rest. It is working some. But getting weight off and already seeing my tummy tuck in and jeans getting looser after less than a month is exciting and my feet DO feel better. I used to be a State caliber distance runner in HS and then scholarship in college. I was 160-170 back then. If I can get back to even jogging without injury, I will be so happy. Might need to get to 175-180 for that. Pretty skinny. We’ll see.

I am having great success so far since the new year. 11 lbs in 3.5 weeks. Down to 199 from 210. I am eating a lot less and much better but not really torturing myself. though I am still a little hungry generally. Hard exercise has not even really come into play yet or else I’d eat more. Wanted to just drop some fat first before doing much, mostly to protect my foot.

Typical Breakfast options: eggs or 1/2 avocado w/ 1/2 slice rye toast or 1/2 cup grape nuts or cheerios with 3/4 cup unsweetened almond milk (200-300 cal) Black Coffee and water to drink.

Snack: Celery, carrots, peppers, grape tomatoes with single serve hummus cup ( 200-300 cal). Water / Black Coffee

Lunch: Greek yogurt cup and more celery/carrots, etc or an avocado. ( 200-300 calories). Water.

Snack: Tin of sardines or almonds or walnuts (150-200 calories). Water. Green Tea.

Dinner: Grilled chicken or venison with salad, beans or other vegetables (450-550 cal)

Adjust accordingly to give yourself a moderate daily calorie deficit but not go nuts. You can fill in a chip or two or a single cookie or something similar if you get really craving, or the overall calorie count is justifiably low for your day. But no Cokes, bowls of ice cream, bags of chips and dips, piles of cheese, 1/2 pizzas, bags of doritos, etc like I’d normally do. Keep your protein, good fats and nutrients up since basically this is a light starvation diet for someone your specs.

Good luck!

Last edited:
No Chukar were harmed in the making of this post.

Attachments

• 1EBECD07-EE4D-47C8-8590-425A94F91426.png
    1EBECD07-EE4D-47C8-8590-425A94F91426.png
    903 KB · Views: 8
  • 56FA6F6D-3CB5-4D89-B7EF-CD56422D48B6.jpeg
    56FA6F6D-3CB5-4D89-B7EF-CD56422D48B6.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 8
  • 05E93D07-B093-4511-B9E5-31412F9F7B45.png
    05E93D07-B093-4511-B9E5-31412F9F7B45.png
    773.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 98BB7FDC-E487-4117-BD38-58B0AC9A4020.jpeg
    98BB7FDC-E487-4117-BD38-58B0AC9A4020.jpeg
    4.2 MB · Views: 6
  • 3DDDFA39-5DFC-4A8A-85F0-D8B32C2260A7.jpeg
    3DDDFA39-5DFC-4A8A-85F0-D8B32C2260A7.jpeg
    4.1 MB · Views: 6
  • FB6360C8-CDF1-4A93-8DE5-1485084E782B.jpeg
    FB6360C8-CDF1-4A93-8DE5-1485084E782B.jpeg
    4.5 MB · Views: 5
  • EF4448EB-B71A-423E-9E99-48E26E130A25.jpeg
    EF4448EB-B71A-423E-9E99-48E26E130A25.jpeg
    2.9 MB · Views: 7
  • 033A5A2F-AAF7-44A5-9F01-443A868FF8A8.jpeg
    033A5A2F-AAF7-44A5-9F01-443A868FF8A8.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 7
  • DDCC61FE-4055-47A1-96B3-64CFCBEA86A4.jpeg
    DDCC61FE-4055-47A1-96B3-64CFCBEA86A4.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • 7B848A3D-5612-4A19-91B7-B28AFDCC1E26.jpeg
    7B848A3D-5612-4A19-91B7-B28AFDCC1E26.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 6
  • 71734B5C-B527-42EA-9C7C-D72976849771.jpeg
    71734B5C-B527-42EA-9C7C-D72976849771.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 8
I've lost 40 pounds since July with a goal of losing another 45 pounds by this upcoming July (85 lbs in a year total). Been doing 40-60 minute dumbbell workouts at home, 5 days a week and trying to walk for a 45-60 minutes most days. Body composition is changing nicely while burning fat and converting fat to muscle.

I think the biggest part of my success has been tracking my macros daily (Calories, Protein, Carbs & Fats). This allows me to eat the maximum amount of food as possible and know that I'm giving my body enough fuel, while still running at a daily caloric deficit (burning more calories than I consume). I eat a TON of food, just the right kinds. Most people fail, myself included, because they are trying to "eat healthy" and they actually end up not eating enough food, particularly calories and protein and they wind up starving themselves and then giving up. The plan that I'm on is very sustainable to achieve long term, life changing goals and results.

I also focus getting quality sleep and drinking 120 Oz to a gallon of water each day. The rest helps your body to recharge and recover and the water helps you burn fat.

At 60 in few weeks 5 11 and 187lbs blood pressure 126 over 70 just had it checked but hadn't been out west for a few yrs due to covid trained all last yr for sept elk and even tho I thought I was good an ready it was tougher than ever before I guess its a bit of living at 300 ft above sea level and age so I'm training harder more squats and elevation on the treadmill.
And will be hitting the local mtns with my pack as soon as it warms a bit a lot more than last yr Im not concerned about my weight just better conditioning for the back country

Big goal for the gear is the Pfiffner traverse with some good buddies in late August. Goal is to be fit enough to do it in 4 days without it being a total suffer fest and without injury. Then I will feel really ready for elk seasons - which is kinda the best part. Along the way I would like to:
Do the Manitou Springs incline in under 30minutes this year.
Stick with keeping my weekly drink average to 2 or less.
And streak for the year on 30mins a day minimum of intentional exercise - which could be a hard work out or just a walk with the kids - anything counts as long as it’s not just incidental.

Big goal for the gear is the Pfiffner traverse with some good buddies in late August. Goal is to be fit enough to do it in 4 days without it being a total suffer fest and without injury.
somehow I've never heard of the Pfiffner traverse, that looks like a great one to put on the list!

In my previous weightloss adventure, I developed an eating disorder that really messed me up which then resulting in a new binge eating disorder that resulting in the very easy extra lbs even though I did CrossFit and in 2021 I finished multiple long distance runs. I'm taking it slow to ensure I'm getting good calories and enough protein with a treat every now and then. I'm down 10lbs but I'm sure I could be more with better meal prep.

Got in some serious powder skiing on Saturday before temps went dangerous. I'll count that as a serious leg day. Quads were firing because I have awful skiing form. May have accidentally offset benefits with a couple Maverick Mary IPAs and some chili cheese fries. I'm guessing February and March I'm going to have to kick it into serious mode so I can be ready for bear season.

The powers to be at work have decided to deny all backcountry work unless the FS decides to share their packers with us. That was a big motivation to lose extra pounds because we had planned an extensive trip into the Bighorn Crags. Now I'm going to have to find a new destination to look forward to.

somehow I've never heard of the Pfiffner traverse, that looks like a great one to put on the list!
Yeah it seems little known. I stumbled across it while looking for information on Paiute lake (a trail less lake that I thought would be sweet to camp at) and I've been wanting to try the traverse ever since. The distance is more than I've ever done by a lot. Hiking all day in that terrain isn't new, but it's always been hunting pace with starts and stops and such and so without that kinda of daily milage. I think putting something like that on the calendar that is a little outside your comfort zone is great motivation though!

Can't say that I come up with annual fitness goals. For the last 7 years, the goal is to get more fit. I'll be 72 this spring and if I had not gotten into the gym, I think my big game hunting days would be over.

Before covid, I mixed some cardio on the treadmill with weight lifting. The cardio is gone, death due to covid. I might add some weighted pack walking this spring and summer, or not.

My weight has been pretty stable for a while, 205-210 on a 6' 1" frame.

I lift three days a week alternating an upper body and lower body split. Overhead pressing, weighted pull ups and bench pressing for the upper body. The lower body workout is back squats and trap bar dead lifts.

The last leg day was squatting 3 sets of 7 reps with 265#. Trap bar was one set of 7 with 320# and one set of 7 with 340#. I swap which exercise gets three sets or two. I can't say I look forward to leg day.

Today the overhead was 2 sets of 9 with 115# Weighted pull-ups are likely my strongest lift, 4 sets of 7 with a 45#plate on a belt. The bench press was 2 sets of 7 with 195#.

It is doubtful that there is much if any room to get stronger. I hope to give back my strength gains as slowly as possible.

Trying to get up to 205. I have been religiously working out 6 days a week for over 3 years now and I keep getting more and more serious. Gaining another 5 pounds of muscle for me takes a lot of work eating.

Currently really enjoying hit workouts.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back