Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Hunt Talker 2023 Fitness Goals

I just need to start doing something. Anything at all.

Prior to going on vacation right after Christmas, I was either walking or running on the treadmill everyday. Time to get back at it.

In 2022 I made it into good enough shape to wrestle in a few open wrestling tournaments after not competing for 20 years. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I want to do it again
Good on ya, that’s work that people have no idea if they’ve never done it. I’ve dropped in to practice at my old HS, but I’ll leave competitive wrestling in the past!

As a fat man, it is incredibly satisfying working out next to a random "skinny-fat" person in the gym. I'm glad my strength and a good chunk of my endurance are still there. Down 5lbs BUT as pointed out with my workout buddy "I've had bigger sh!ts!" at any rate progress is progress. We're making plans for a trip to do the Rim to Rim trip on the Grand Canyon in October (pending drawing results).

Over 90% of my workouts since the first 2020 lockdown have been at home body weight stuff. While this is reasonably effective, all you have to do is hit a full olympic lifting workout to see the deficiencies this leaves in strength specifically. Last week was the first time I touched a barbell and plates in almost a year, so I'm close to starting from scratch. Goals are to do work on my primary lifts over the next few months and get to the point where I'm still at my usual 160 body weight and feeling good with:

315 deadlift
275 squat
225 bench

I find that these are pretty attainable goals, and that doing a strength cycle like this in the spring gives me a good base I can tailor to my hunts in the fall. Fingers crossed I don't blow anything out now that I'm old

I have been using our rowing machine and exercise bike now for almost a month and last night I finally hit the 10 minute mark on the rowing machine. I was so excited that I hit that goal and included a 10 minute bike ride. My body is remembering the old days now when I used to work out religiously. I was worried that my lungs wouldnt hold up due to the COPD but they are actually doing excellent. Normally I have to take 4 breathing treatments a day but the past couple of days I havent felt the urgency in them for the treatments. If I can get to the point I was a few years back where 2 treatments a day was all I needed I would be ecstatic!!!

In 2022 I made it into good enough shape to wrestle in a few open wrestling tournaments after not competing for 20 years. It was a hell of a lot of fun. I want to do it again
I'm a big college wrestling fan. I try to watch a couple matches on BTN each weekend. For every match I come up with a different excercise that I have to complete during that match. By the end of the ten individual matches its a pretty good workout. However, its probably offset by the amount I drink leading up to, during, and after the match. My wife also thinks Im nuts.

We have a Peloton treadmill in the house. I did the 2022 fitness challenge where it tracks your minutes of exercise. I hit 13,550 min of exercise in 2022 or about(37min/day). My 2023 goal is to beat that number. Their programs do a nice job of mixing up cardio and strength. The types of classes are endless.

Other than that, I really cut back on my alcohol intake as well. My quality of sleep since doing that has been a game changer.

I started jogging again after Christmas. The usual pattern is jogging January-May, hiking/fishing June-August, hunting September-December (and into Feb/March, but frequency decreases a lot after Dec.).

The older I get, the harder it is to ramp back up. Not with injuries, just with elderliness. I am up to 12-15 miles/week now and plan to do my first long(ish) run at 10 miles this weekend, but man were those first few weeks rough this year. As Ive gotten older, Ive found that while I can still get to an 8min/mile (or less) over 10 or 15 miles, going at that pace really beats the crap out me and requires a lot more rest than just keeping a 10min/mile, give or take. At that 10min/mile pace, I am usually ready to do it again the next day and rarely deal with even minor injury.

Ill be doing the Headwaters Relay again this year. And I have dreams of doing the Transalpine next year. I have a goal of running 100 miles in a single week by the end of May (or early June) this year. We will see...

Loving the response and enthusiasm so far. With hunts as hard to come by as they are and with everything in the world apparently trying to kill us (lowered life expectancy) we need to fight back and/or fight to keep our abilities so we can enjoy the outdoors while the opportunity is there.

I am down 9 lbs in past 2 and a half weeks, and I’m just getting started (yes I have always been a calorie burner - but also an eater). ALREADY feeling a better bounce in my step and looking forward to, rather than dreading, the 12k ascents (and the heavy pack out 😉) which is why I want to do this.

I'm getting pressured into signing up for the Telluride mountain run 40 miler in August, pretty sure I could finish in the shape I'm in today but it wouldn't be fun, goal is to have it be a casual outing...

In the more immediate future my goal is to wrap up some really hard climbing routes I'm just at the edge of being strong enough to do, and placing top 8 in the elite mixed comp at the ouray ice fest...
How did the ice fest go?

How did the ice fest go?
thanks for the prompt for updates and accountability...

I finished 7th, so, meeting the goal I suppose, they changed the scoring this year, I would have won using the metric every other comp uses, and this one used last year... a bitter pill to swallow considering I've wanted that trophy really bad for the better part of a decade...

I did drunkenly sign up for the TMR 40 miler immediately afterward though, so goal number 2 is on track...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gcporteous
Back