Caribou Gear Tarp

Hunt Talk gettin chippy

VAspeedgoat

It sure does seem like the last month or so has really seen a bunch of us getting some attitude with each other. I'm not sure what I'm trying to accomplish or prove by starting a thread but man I wish some of it would stop. Sad part is I've done my share too. I sure do hope this trend doesn't continue and I hope this thread doesn't turn into yet another thread with people griping or getting all pushed out of shape. I hope this thread just makes us all read or calm down before we press submit. Again, I'm guilty too, but there's a difference between disagreement and what's been happening here of late. Lets try to keep ourselves in check so Big Fin doesn't have to waste his time with this crap.

Seems like it happens every year about this time, hunting seasons are over and nothing to do. I agree, it gets old, hopefully spring and fishing season gets here quick!

That observation is on target. And it is a "time of year thing."

That said, it doesn't have to be that way. When I see it headed that direction, I try to intervene.

If I had one request to all Hunt Talkers, it would be to have your positions and beliefs, stand by them, but when providing your perspective, be civil and respectful when you express yourself here. Painting with broad strokes, using labels to group people just because they have a different perspective on the topic, and talk in a condescending manner all contribute to this chippiness.

The most difficult task of own this forum is trying to allow valuable debate to occur on topics we find so important, yet not letting passion turn into emotion. Passion sells your point. Emotion is a completely turn off and is grounds to get a PM from me.

Thanks for bringing this up and allowing it to serve as a reminder. We have a long winter ahead of us, so let's try to have great debates while still respecting those of differing opinions.

Part of my response to a recent essay on themeateater.com centered on this very topic/issue.

We live in a defensive society. If someone takes up a position that differs from your own, even when they are on the same side of the fence, we immediately go on the defensive. Look no further than the many hunting forms we all take part in. Level headed conversations are difficult to come by and you can forget debating someone using facts; ironic when you consider how quickly information can be had. As hunters we should refrain from being so defensive, especially in these times. Also it is important for us hunters to keep in mind that our numbers are growing. Those joining the hunting community won’t always fit the traditional mold, but we shouldn’t exclude them. We don’t have to adopt the new ideas and philosophies they bring with them, heck you don't even have to like their ideas. Being such a diverse group is what makes us so great. Diversity amongst our ranks shows the masses that we aren’t a bunch of gun toting buffoons.

There are real issues facing the entire hunting community beyond this silly bickering. For example; access to our beloved hunting grounds, the spread of chronic wasting disease and commercialized hunting. Instead of looking for things to get defensive about I challenge my fellow hunters to read up on some of the real issues and go on the offensive to protect this right we cherish.

Lets all come to Colorado and do bong hits and make sausage and hunt with muzzleloaders and lighted nocks while wearing detachable man buns :D

x2 for Cush (or is it Kush-man) :) The reason I am active here is because it is the most mutually respectful site I have found. I like the fraternity of hunting and hope we can all look for the common ground before we get pissy :) If I ever start to sound that we PLEASE let me know ASAP!!

Usually the unlucky and unsuccessful are those that are chippy, BUT my apologies for my part as well.

On a super note, I absolutely enjoy the international acclaim and flair this site has. The kiwis and down under members and their hunts and insights are tremendous - you reach a huge audience Randy! Kudos!

THANK YOU!

Good thing he didn't mention midget tossers Kushm......

.....I might have been called a few things over the years,probably deservedly....

Whats a tosser Devon Deer?

Is it Oct.yet?
I'm a hermit I guess in off season and not socially up to PC standards at times.
BF? Ruling? On second thought...

We should stick to important topics like .270 vs .280, brats vs hamburgers, and Ginger vs. Mary Anne.

If we're all going to Cushmans, lets call it Rendezvous like in the 1800's. My only concern is if eastern tenderfoots are welcome. Oh well, I bet if I bring beer I'm fine.

Chico St?
Party like there's no tomorrow, is their school motto I think,or half of CA schools.....I would have said something if Mathew had wanted to go to Cal-Poly SLO, BF.
I know alot of the po po & half the sheriffs dupe's.

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back