Hunt Scan - Scout With Yer Eyes Closed!

Nameless Range

I saw this on the ole FB today.

If you go to the legal section of the webpage, you can see the gymnastics. For Montana for example: https://www.thehuntscan.com/is-huntscan-legal-in/montana.html

HuntScan does not utilize motion tracking technology nor does it have the capability of transmitting realtime information. The individual must be there in-person to operate the software.

:rolleyes:

Realize that this is the frontier of tech like this, and more like it will come along. As cameras with megapixels measured in the triple digits with absurd digital zooms become more commonplace and the software gets better and better, you will see more chit like this.

Good news is they offer batch discounts for outfitter services.

The military is way out in front of this so maybe some who have served can tell us what to expect. Elk aren’t hard to see when they are in the open like that.

You know it’s a solid product when a whole page of the website is dedicated to whether or not said product is legal.

It’s beyond frustrating that so many folks don’t see how shit like this will ultimately mean far less opportunity for hunters in the future. Short term gains for long term losses.

"

As hunters we are always looking to get one step ahead of the animals that we pursue and the technology that HuntScan provides does exactly that."​

....no. There has to be a point where technology goes too far and this product goes leaps and bounds over that in my opinion. Fair chase anyone? (Yes we could argue all day about the technology we have now). I cant imagine exchanging words like "yeah I have no idea how I even spotted that deer, I just happened to look that way" with "so I set up my Huntscan and it spotted like 5 deer I would have never seen"

I can imagine different scenarios as time progresses:

Something like this mounted on the roof of a car with 360° camera wired to a screen in your rig.

Or just a tripod controlled by the software with some 100+ MP phone that scans a scene on a grid. You take a nap, and it rings to wake you up when it finds a critter.

The resolution of the human eye is 500-ish megapixels when moving, but when viewing a single glance is only at 15-ish megapixels. It wouldn't surprise me if before long this chit is identifying a deer leg at hundreds of yards.

From the Utah portion of their “Is it legal?” page:

“Fair Chase... pays respect to the traditions of hunting and angling by emphasizing the development of an individuals skills rather than a reliance on practices or technologies that overwhelm the quarry’s ability to allude detection or take.”

“I like to think of it as bring your nephew long (sic) to help you glass.”

If I brought my nephew “long” I’d be spending more time changing diapers and keeping him from falling down the ridge than glassing. Some serious mental gymnastics for this company.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
1st BDX Scope
Back