Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Preserving fish with salt? (Alaska regulation question)

Paul in Idaho

I'm hoping to go on a fishing trip to Alaska and spend a week or more at a Forest Service cabin without electricity. I would like to keep fish if I catch some. Since you're only allowed to have 2 days' limits in possession, and fish count against the possession limit until they are "preserved," I need to find an alternative to freezing if I want to keep more fish.

The Alaska fishing regulations say "preserved fish means fish prepared in such a manner, and in an existing state of preservation, as to be fit for human consumption after a 15-day period, and does not include unfrozen fish temporarily stored in coolers that contain ice, dry ice, or fish that are lightly salted."

I have been trying to learn what amount of salt or method of salting meets the legal definition of preserved, but can't find that. Are any of you familiar with Alaska's legal requirements about using salt to preserve fish? I contacted ADF&G with this question a while back but haven't got a reply yet so thought I'd ask here.

Thanks.
Paul

Interesting question. I suggest you contact a wildlife trooper in the area you'll be fishing. They are the ones who write the tickets and are the final field authority on regulation translation. My guess is, will your field salting allow you to eat the fish 2 weeks after you get home, with no further treatment in between? (Other than meal prep.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Waspocrew
Back