PEAX Equipment

HELP! Hunt Plan Indecision

FYT

WORDY POST WARNING- thanks in advance for reading this overly detailed post and thanks even more for any advice you have!

So, I’m having some serious indecision on my hunt plan for 1st rifle in Colorado. Something that I’ve been thinking about a lot is that literally every decision you make hunting has an opportunity cost. This is true in the macro and the micro- when you decide on one area of a unit, all the other areas are out of play (unless you pack up and move). Similarly, every single step in one direction is a step away from another direction where elk could be.

But you all know this too. Here’s some context:

• I’ve been focused in on a few specific areas that are within about 5 miles as the crow flies. One of my top areas I’ve decided against because I’ve learned there are drop camps in it every year and also because it’s a little farther back than I’d like to go. I’m avoiding the part of my unit that tends to have the most pressure (but there is also a reason that it tends to have the most pressure- there are elk there and it’s easier to walk in, i.e. it’s less steep).
  • This is my 4th year hunting elk and I’m sad to admit that I have yet to put one on the ground. BUT, I’ve learned a boatload since I first started and I know I’m lightyears ahead of where I used to be. My first year I was just getting my feet wet and learning as much as I could from my brother who is more experienced. My second year I had a broken ankle and only hunted 1.5 days and hobbled my way through the woods unsuccessfully. Last year I almost put it all together with an OTC 2nd Rifle tag, but I watched that nice bull quarter away at about 175 yards and didn’t feel comfortable taking the shot. That encounter still literally haunts me (you can read about it here if you're interested in another novel).
  • I just want to take any legal elk. I will take a cow on opening morning if the opportunity presents itself. I’m also hunting solo and that is a strong consideration for me as I plan. I could potentially get some help packing out- I have a list of people I can call, but I don’t want to take something 7 miles back and 3,500 feet up because I don’t want to get in over my head. 1st Rifle is a 5 day season. I’m a school principal and it’s very hard to take time off work this time of year but I’m planning to take at least Monday and Tuesday off, so I should have at least 4 days to hunt. Possibly the 5th day too but we will see.
  • My general plan is to hike in after work on Friday and set up a spike camp. I’ll hunt in the area of my camp for Saturday and Sunday. If I’m not into elk by then I’ll come out Sunday night and day hunt on Monday/Tuesday. If I’m into elk I’ll stay into Monday but I don’t plan on bringing more than 3 days of food. I’ve put way more scouting in this year than in the past, but I’m not seeing as much sign recently as I’d like, which is probably playing into this indecision.

Bottom line: I need an elk in the freezer.

Here is a description of the two areas that I’m considering most strongly

1) Area 1 is an easier walk in. It’s about 2 - 2.5 miles to where I would camp and only a gain of about 1,000-1,200 feet to the camp spot, depending on where I camp. The huntable area around it is in the 7,400 - 9,200 ft elevation range. I have a friend who has taken elk from this area each of the past two years but he was hunting later seasons. I spoke to a biologist who said that this area is a better 2nd, 3rd, 4th season spot but that there should be some elk around. I’ve scouted it 3 times now. I haven’t seen elk yet, though I have run into bits of sign but not as much as I’d like. I did hear the only bugle that I’ve heard while scouting this year as I was about to walk out at around 7:15pm sometime last week. It has some really varied terrain- a knife ridge with oak brush on both sides, a few creek bottoms that have been known to hold elk, and some steep and thicker timber and mixed timber/aspen areas. I’ve escouted some potential bedding areas but again, just haven’t seen the volume of sign I’d like to see.

Some pros:
-It would be a much easier pack out than area 2.
-I would be able to choose from varied terrain, as described.
-I’m not sure about pressure but I think it would be relatively hunter free.
-You can see some public land that is miles away in the distance. But there are good views of it and if I were to glass animals on it, I could potentially pack up camp and try to access from a closer trailhead.

Some cons:
-As I said, it may be a better spot in later seasons than it is in 1st.
-It’s lower elevation. Everything I’ve been reading on forums and information from locals here is telling me they are high and quiet.
-Not seeing as much fresh sign as I’d like and no eyes on animals in my limited scouting there.

2) Area two is much harder to access. It’s 3+ miles in and almost 3,000 feet in elevation gain to where I would camp. The huntable areas here are in the 9,000 to 11,000 plus elevation range. Since it is harder to access, I haven’t been able to scout it as much. I got some really good intel from an acquaintance that there is a huge bench (its easy to see on the maps) here that, “always holds elk.” Similarly, I don’t think there would be a ton of pressure here during 1st rifle but it’s possible I’d run into some horse camps. The terrain is much less varied- it’s mostly timber with some mixed aspens in there. There is very little glassing unless I hike my ass up to like 11,500 above timberline for views down, but even then I’d mostly be looking into some pretty thick stuff. I’d likely have to find travel paths and sit on them and/or still hunt through the benches in hopes of finding them in bed. My fancy new to me (second hand) binos are itching for some solid use and they’re telling me not to go here, haha.

Some pros:
-I really, really trust the acquaintance who gave me the intel on this spot and he felt strongly there will be elk in the drainage, and almost certainly on the specific bench he pointed out - let's call it the magic bench.
-It’s higher elevation. There’s no major weather on the horizon before my season starts and everything I’m reading and hearing is that there are higher concentrations of elk at higher elevations.
-Supposedly, the genetics of the elk in this area are really good. I can’t confirm that myself but I think I would have more big elk potential in this spot, but that isn’t at the top of my list anyway.
-It would feel like a true alpine elk hunt.

Some cons:
-Not as much glassing- would likely have to hope to run into them traveling or still hunting.
-I’m not worried about the hike in to the camp, but I’m definitely worried about having to make that trip multiple times to pack out. I may be able to get help but would love to be able to earn it myself.
-Since it is harder to access, I’ve only scouted it once and didn’t have time to get all the way up to the top where I think the elk are. I saw limited sign in my scouting.
-There is a water source but it’s not as easily accessible as area 1.

I’m not married to these spots and I’m willing to look elsewhere, but my scouting time is getting seriously limited at this point. I’m going to reach out to some more buddies to see what intel they’re willing to share from their time in the field for archery season, but I don’t love the idea of going into an area blind with such limited time to hunt.

I know it’s hard to give advice without maps and limited knowledge of the areas, but I’d love to hear your thoughts.

-Do you think I’m over thinking the pack out? I’m in solid shape and I live at 6,600ft so I’m acclimated but I’m also no crossfit warrior with two kids under 2.5 at home it’s hard to have the time to be in the shape I’d like to be.

-Do you think I’d be hamstringing myself in area 2 because I’m putting a lot of weight on the intel I got and pretty much hoping that this magic bench does actually hold elk all the time?

-Do you think I should just day hunt and stay mobile?

-Do you think…gahhhhhh I DUNNO WHAT I’M EVEN ASKING.

As you can tell, I’m all wrapped up in this. I’ve had the hardest year of my life, not even close, this past year and this hunt has been a mental and physical life-raft for me. It’s become incredibly important to me and I really, really want to put some meat in the freezer and get the experience of breaking down an elk. I know success can’t always be tied to a notched tag, but damn it I’m really putting a lot of energy into it and I will be extremely sad and disappointed in myself if I’m not able to make a kill. I know that isn’t the best attitude heading into a hunt but I can’t help it.

Thanks for reading my novel. I’d love to know what you think!

Last edited:
I love this post. I think it speaks volumes (literally) to how invested physically and mentally many of us get into our hunts. Nothing wrong with that, and your insights can help many of us become better hunters.

What I would say is, looks like both have pros and cons, pick one and don't look back, ie, don't second guess yourself. For me, I'm going to hunt where I think the most animals are, even if that means there might be more hunters I have to deal with, because as Randy has pointed out, sometimes other hunters are your best friends in terms of pushing animals to you.

Reactions: FYT
If weather remains high (barometer) and dry, #2 sounds better. You could hit #1 the 1st 2 days, per your plan, then go to #2 if you aren't finding elk.

My advice is be flexible and play it out once you get there. Obviously decide on a first choice but hunting pressure or lack of sign may have you moving to another area sooner than planned. The danger is wasting too much time in area where there is very little sign. You never know where the elk are going to be, I suggest having a C, D, E & F plan too.

From what you said, I think there’s a pretty clear answer. If you wanna give yourself a good chance to kill an elk, you should go to your spot #2. If there hasn’t been weather, public land elk in CO will likely be found in that 9500-11,500 foot range... probably closer to 11,000 than 9500, in my opinion. I think you should spend some time trying to solve the pack-out question. In my mind, you already have the spot identified that you need to be hunting. Now it’s time to figure out how to get your elk outta there. Good luck!

From what you said, I think there’s a pretty clear answer. If you wanna give yourself a good chance to kill an elk, you should go to your spot #2. If there hasn’t been weather, public land elk in CO will likely be found in that 9500-11,500 foot range... probably closer to 11,000 than 9500, in my opinion. I think you should spend some time trying to solve the pack-out question. In my mind, you already have the spot identified that you need to be hunting. Now it’s time to figure out how to get your elk outta there. Good luck!

☝this, with the caveat that there is a ton of value in going to areas you know well. If the second option is as thick as it sounds, you need to find openings where they will be (burns, meadows, etc...). Also, if they are close enough, I would stick with your plan and hit your top choice and if it's not working out head to the other one.

Stay consistent, you have already done a lot of homework, and trust in your efforts. Easy for me to say, but it will happen. Good luck and share your success after the hunt!

I can relate to this post on all levels. I am in my 4th year of elk hunting, have yet to take an animal, and have poured more time than I'd like to admit digging through the web and scouting, which so far has led to very minimal success. To top it off, I have two kids under 2.5 years old which adds its own set of challenges. It can be soul-crushing to pour so much time into a hunt that is over in the blink of an eye and that went completely opposite of how you expected.

Seems to me that you had a succesful hunt last year. You didn't put meat in the freezer however you did have the animal of your choosing in your cross hairs. That bull scored one in the game last year. He could have very well beaten the other hunters since then as well. You seem to have a very logical and methodical plan. The odds are in your favor. Good luck! ☺

☝this, with the caveat that there is a ton of value in going to areas you know well. If the second option is as thick as it sounds, you need to find openings where they will be (burns, meadows, etc...).
I would second this. I would also look for escape routes and places they would go after being bumped. This will help to ensure that you have a game plan if or when other hunters mess up all the great planning you have done.

It took me 6 years to kill my first elk. I hope you get it done this year so you don't have to wait to have all the feelings of harvesting an animal. I hope you find as much Success in the chase as you do the kill. Good Luck.

Last edited:
I like option 2 as well. The higher the better if the weather allows it. I would be worried about the thick part either as it will provide cover for the animals

I would be going to spot #2. I think there's a much better chance of that area holding elk compared to #1. May want to line up some pack help prior to the hunt. Love a good suffer fest but sounds like a heck of a solo pack out. Best of luck, shoot straight! :D

Thanks for your thoughts and encouragement everyone. Really, really appreciated. Leaning toward spot 2 to start and spot 1 for day hunting on Mon/Tues if I don't get anything because spot 2 would be really hard to day hunt. There doesn't look to be any major weather on the horizon before the season starts so I'm hoping I'll find them high when I get up in there. I'm planning on doing one last scout up in spot 2 this weekend and am going to bring some gear/water in a dry bag and stash it up there if I like what I see.

Again, I really appreciate the advice and the pep talks!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back