Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hunt it on public

Pucky Freak

Hunting season - it's finally here! The theme of this year's hunt journal is "hunt it on public". As of today I have no private access, and I am excited to kick off many public land hunts including archery deer, shotgun deer, rifle deer, rifle elk, waterfowl, rabbits, squirrel, turkey, and dove. A special thanks to my wife, as always, for making this possible as she enters year 3 of full-time stay-at-home mom, and year two of homeschool teacher. She has even been suggesting a possible MT spring bear hunt + family camping trip in 2022. I can't thank her enough for her ongoing support and encouragement of a hunting lifestyle for our family.

Tonight my buddy and I scouted several dove plots and have a plan A-D for tomorrow afternoon. A lot of variation between areas, with the most birds found over burned wheat. I'm shooting extra full choke for a bit of extra challenge ;)

IMG_1206.JPGIMG_1207.JPGIMG_1208.JPGIMG_1209.JPG

We hunted the afternoon. Most shots were 15-20 yards. I started 2 for 3, followed by a LONG stretch of misses, and then finished strong going 5/5. No wounded birds with the tight pattern, although a couple of the closer shots made for swiss cheese-looking doves 😬

IMG_1210.JPGIMG_1222.JPGIMG_2378.jpg

I kept an archery practice journal this year, which has helped a lot in working on specific things. I have a lot of entries in spring and early summer but it has been 52 days since I've shot my bow. The last several weeks have been kind of a blur with my dad passing away in July. Tonight I shot 4 sets of 3 arrows at 40 yards, all at the center dot. 20 mph gusty crosswind.

First set, mistakenly used an old anchor
IMG_1225.JPG

Second set, two errant shots
IMG_1226.JPG

Third set, first arrow was errant
IMG_1227.JPG

Fourth set, minute of dead!
IMG_1228.JPG

Ostensibly looking for squirrels, we went on a nature hike for a couple hours, goofing around, and throwing rocks in the lake. We found a coon skull she asked if we could bring home and clean up, so we'll be doing a peroxide science experiment before too long.
IMG_1235 (2).JPG

IMG_1231.JPG

The two stands are positioned at ravine heads in mature timber on opposite sides of a ridge. The NE spot had a lot of traffic last year and the SW spot is new. The target time to hunt these spots is mid-day during the rut when it's cold. I'm not using trail cams, so if I encounter a mature buck it will be my first time laying eyes on him.
map.png

A visitor when setting stands
IMG_1239.JPG

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back