Hunnting with a handgun

Andyhunter13

Hi everyone, I just found this site and Randy's podcasts and love them! I have hunted in several western states over the years and hunt exclusively with a handgun, specifically a 12" Thompson Contender from SSK Industries chambered in .375JDJ. I have taken several Mule Deer and a nice Antelope with it and hope to take it on another elk hunt next year.
Anyone else out there hunt with a pistol?

Andy N.

Welcome aboard. I don't hear much about handgun hunting on this forum...not to say some don't do it though. I recently traded in my only "hunting" handgun a 480 Ruger Super Redhawk for an over/under shotgun as I literally couldn't hit a barn with it.

Welcome! I've long wanted a hunting handgun for here in IN, but have never taken the plunge. Here anything over .243" is legal out of a handgun, but rifles have some weird rules to be legal.

Hi Andy,
Welcome. You certainly joined a good forum. Lots of good people here with good knowledge to share.
I've never used a handgun but have been killing deer in Indiana with a handgun cartridge in a lever gun since they changed the law and really like it.
I use a .44 Rem. My friend uses a very deadly .454 casull in a lever gun and has put several on the ground too.
I just prefer to shoulder a gun while hunting.
Good luck this year.....

Welcome! I too, often hunt with a handgun. I carry a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. My dad casts bullets, so we worked up a load using 340 gr. LBTs moving about 1200 fps. More powerful than the .44 mag, and an easier "felt" recoil due to the lower operating pressures of the .45 colt. I am also getting ready to send another Ruger to Linebaugh to have either a .475 or .500 Linebaugh made.

I've got a Taurus Raging Bull in .44 mag that I plan on starting to hunt with. I can consistently hit an 8 inch target at 100 yards on a steady rest with open sights, but I would like to do better before I hunt with it. Where I live in Colorado is cantalope country, so I have a buddy that brings me over a bunch of them. It is fun to blast them with my hollow points that I would hunt with.

Welcome to the forum Andyhunter13. I've hunted for deer a couple of times with my TC Super 14 in 7x30 Waters. Missed an opportunity to kill the largest buck of my life when I forgot to turn the lever that switches the hammer from rim fire over to center fire. Bedded 5x6 with drop tine muley buck broadside at 50 yards. Seated shot with shooting sticks. Pull trigger, hammer goes "click", and buck shoots down the hill like it was shot from a cannon. It has taken quite a few years to get over that screw up, but I have been shooting the TC quite a bit this summer and am playing with the idea of deer hunting with it this fall. I love the light weight of the TC and it is a tack driver. With sticks I feel good to about 200 yards.

I've killed 3 whitetail does with a Super Redhawk .44 several years ago and a bear with a S&W .460.

I prefer the Bowtech these days.

T/C in 308 for deer and antelope, and I have used a kimber and glock 10mm for deer and antelope also, and also some yrs I feel like taking out the good old wheel gun in 44 magnum for a deer hunt, handguns are just plain fun to hunt with and they take you to a new level of excitement.

Like, shootbrownelk, I also have a super redhawk 454. I'm hoping to take my first deer with it this fall. I love big handguns!

I used to use my Rugger GP100 357 magnum with a 6 inch barrel while hunting in the shotgun slug zones of MN. I harvested three bucks with it but switched back to my 12 gauge after out right missing a big boy with my pistol a few years ago. Caliber was a little small imo when I head out west after elk I’m carrying my 30.06.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back