HTer Fitness Goals '24 Edition

• Thread starter Deleted member 52098
  • Start date
I have an Alaska Dall Sheep hunt this year. It has been a decade in planning. I would really like to get below 200lbs, so would need to lose about 12#. A little less than 8 months to go. Lifting, running, hiking plenty. The diet is my issue. Hope to clean that up this year!

I have an Alaska Dall Sheep hunt this year. It has been a decade in planning. I would really like to get below 200lbs, so would need to lose about 12#. A little less than 8 months to go. Lifting, running, hiking plenty. The diet is my issue. Hope to clean that up this year!
Change your username to Arrowhead and you will drop 26 and be #1.

First (and probably only) marathon at 40.
I'm going to lamely attempt the @mtmiller pushup routine, but will almost certainly fail miserably.
So I had a goal of running a marathon for a bucket list item. I started to run and about mile 6, I always died of sheer boredom. So I first signed up for a 1/2 Marathon to help prepare for a full. At the start they have all the Kenyans first ( so they dont have to run over all the slow white guys) then all the full marathon guys. Then I take off with the 1/2 marathon guys and gals. I reach the 6.1 mile mark for the turn. I get passed by all the full marathon guys. Talk about demoralizing. I run 6.1 miles and they all ran 18.4 miles faster than me.
Never the less I finished and told myself that sucked, and crossed off a full Marathon on the bucket list.

I can run fine just not fast. I stick with 5K and call it good.

But I do work our regularly. I am a stair master master.

Good luck.

I have to start lifting weights. I'm 57 and if I don't just do a little, my muscles will be gone. I hate lifting weights though. Talk about boring. Don't know how you guys do it. I rather work.

I love activities like mountain biking and skiing, both which I do. Helped to haul two elk, four deer and a bear out this year. Not one of those hikes lacked hills, mountains and distance. So I still have it in me. But I know things will be changing soon enough.

So I guess I will try again to hit the gym.

It's been 8 years since I decided to get into better shape. My 73rd birthday is a few months away.

My advice, to anyone overweight, walk, not run to get your cardio. Unless you are put together really well, running distances, consistently, will likely show up with chronic pain in one of more joints. Sometimes you won't get the chronic pain dividend for a number of years. Once you have it, it becomes part of who you are.

Weightlifting has been a fountain of youth for me. Like many, I found it boring in when younger. This time around, it became enjoyable physical exertion that can be matched to your ability on that day. It will ABSOLUTELY make you stronger if you are consistent and actually challenge yourself. I'd advise that you spend your efforts on compound movements. I've settled on overhead presses, weighted pull ups, bench presses, back squats and trap bar deadlifts. If I was to add one, it would be some form of farmer's walk.

Having helped rehabbed both of my parents through TKR on both knees, I can pass along this one piece of advice they both wished they would have followed: continue with the rehab exercises that help with ROM well after rehab is over. My dad is pretty active and he still wishes he would have done those exercises on the regular
I'm at week 14 on my right knee, week6 on my left and have 130 degrees in my right knee, 126 in my left, 0 degrees on both for extension. I absolutely believe you should follow your doctor and PTs guidelines, but after week 3, I've only done pt twice a week, and walk as much as possible, i do no PT at home, just light leg days twice a week at the gym. No 2 people are the same, some need stringent PT, some don't. Listen to your Dr, but also listen to your body.

Last edited:
So I had a goal of running a marathon for a bucket list item. I started to run and about mile 6, I always died of sheer boredom. So I first signed up for a 1/2 Marathon to help prepare for a full. At the start they have all the Kenyans first ( so they dont have to run over all the slow white guys) then all the full marathon guys. Then I take off with the 1/2 marathon guys and gals. I reach the 6.1 mile mark for the turn. I get passed by all the full marathon guys. Talk about demoralizing. I run 6.1 miles and they all ran 18.4 miles faster than me.
Never the less I finished and told myself that sucked, and crossed off a full Marathon on the bucket list.

I can run fine just not fast. I stick with 5K and call it good.

But I do work our regularly. I am a stair master master.

Good luck.
Don't cross it off. Just change it to a trail marathon. They have SNACKS at aid stations and hiking is not frowned upon. Road running can be rough because everyone is in a hurry to get done.

I’ll be turning 40 in August. I’d like to increase flexibility and range of motion, maintain or build muscle strength, and lower body fat %. I’m not to worried about weight, but secretly would like to get under 200lbs. Even with muscle mass carrying over 200 lbs is not going to get easier as I get old. I’m around 207 most days.

The plan is to lift lightweights 3 times a week with full body exercises, stretch daily, and walk a lot more. I’ll continue to eat whole 1 or 2 ingredient foods most of the time and maybe cut back (not cut out 😂) on beer.

I’d also like to improve mentally by periodically getting off of social media, silent meditation, and doing things that are uncomfortable like cold showers or plunges.

Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jaly24
Back