HOWA questions here

I just want to know - how the heck to get one?!

All the local dealers say they can't get any, trying to get green hogue stock in .308!

Yeah, I can't swing that. Looking for something under $600.
I understand. That's a premium price. I asked, and they won't budge on those prices, even though those rifles have been on their rack for several years now. Small town gun shops can be like that sometimes. I will say however that those stocks are worth the extra $300+ They are excellent stocks.

I have a HOWA 1500 (Randys HOWA model) in .300 Win Mag. I have put ~ 100 rounds of Nosler E-tip 180 gr. through it between the break-in process and fine-tuning.

I was at the range this evening and decided to try a Winchester round that I was interested in for deer hunting and was surprised by the variability between the two load types.

Have others noticed that the HOWA rifle they have likes only one specific brand/load, especially if you broke the rifle in with that same load/bullet type?

I’ve noticed that with some guns more than others, especially switching between bullets made from different alloys (say, Barnes vs Nosler) and have to clean thoroughly if I want to give it a legit try. I’m fortunate this season that my current load of Federal TLR shoots just as well as the ABLR loads from a couple years ago without needing a bore scrub.

Matt:

Any new models being introduced next month that we should be excited about?

Chad,
Are you guys planning to increase number of distributors for the Howa Barreled Actions? Pickings are getting awful slim with Brownells

Chad,
Are you guys planning to increase number of distributors for the Howa Barreled Actions? Pickings are getting awful slim with Brownell

Chad,
Are you guys planning to increase number of distributors for the Howa Barreled Actions? Pickings are getting awful slim with Brownells
No we are not. Brownells is our exclusive dealer for barreled actions. Sorry

Thia spring I bought two Howa Alpines. One in 6.5 creedmoor and another in 7mm-08. I love the rifles but there are a few areas for improvement. I would offer them with 22-24 barrels as a way to alleviate muzzle rise. I would also redesign the plastic DBM setup. Really low quality/flimsy and neither of my guns will feed at all with the DBM setup as the bolt overrides the cartridge. I like the idea of a DBM but one made from aluminum in a AI footprint with a more robust plastic mag like a Magpul would be perfect. That or offer an aluminum bottom metal set to replace the very heavy steel ones you currently have.
As for the stock the Bansner pattern is perfect. The H&S currently offered is a heavy club in comparison. I understand that Banser/LAW was not a good supplier, but I would suggest a similar pattern could be made by other MFG's
I really hope that Howa revisits the Alpine concept soon.
I agree. But also ditch the bottom metal, for a lightweight mountain rifle it makes sense to go with a blind mag.

Howa's HACT trigger, the pull is perfect and can be lightened very easily, excellent feel. I just can't figure out why that awful trigger shoe. It's way too short and too narrow. Make the shoe feel like the Timney shoe they use on the Fieldcraft.

Lastly Melvin is right, guns need to balance or otherwise why. If the balance point had been 2-3" further forward I would have never gone on the crazy Fieldcraft spree.

I love Howa, they really got a lot right.

I agree. But also ditch the bottom metal, for a lightweight mountain rifle it makes sense to go with a blind mag.

Howa's HACT trigger, the pull is perfect and can be lightened very easily, excellent feel. I just can't figure out why that awful trigger shoe. It's way too short and too narrow. Make the shoe feel like the Timney shoe they use on the Fieldcraft.

Lastly Melvin is right, guns need to balance or otherwise why. If the balance point had been 2-3" further forward I would have never gone on the crazy Fieldcraft spree.

Adl style magazine would be a good idea.
I like the HACT two stage trigger once its resprung. I strongly prefer a 1-1.5lb trigger on a lightweight gun. Mine would not adjust down to anywhere near this. I do realise my preference probaly gives the lawyers a case of the hereby jeebies, but I have been rolling this for decades. I should note that I never, ever carry a rifle hot.
It's a damn shame the Field craft is no longer available and probaly never available again. They were fine rifles by all accounts.

Last edited:

They almost did it all right. Just make a damn lefty and I’d be a happy camper!!

Last edited:
Chad -

I just picked up my first Howa (1500 in 25-06). I wasn’t wild about the Hogue stock so I’ve got an HS precision ordered. I just figured I’d ask what I need to torque the action screws back to for factory specs?

Thanks!

Adl style magazine would be a good idea.
I like the HACT two stage trigger once its resprung. I strongly prefer a 1-1.5lb trigger on a lightweight gun. Mine would not adjust down to anywhere near this. I do realise my preference probaly gives the lawyers a case of the hereby jeebies, but I have been rolling this for decades. I should note that I never, ever carry a rifle hot.
It's a damn shame the Field craft is no longer available and probaly never available again. They were fine rifles by all accounts.

Resprung? What what what? I've always just trimmed a coil off the end of the stock spring. Would love to hear what springs folks are using.

I agree, never walk around with one in the pipe, but I don't think a lighter spring would affect safety so long as the one doing the spring changes adjusts the tension screw and tests pull weight and safety. At least not within reasonable limits.

I have one of the limited run ceracoated Fieldcrafts and have gone back and forth about selling it. It's the threaded 22" model in 65cm with the green stock.

Can't wait to see what Howa has coming out in 2021!

Last edited:
Back