Caribou Gear Tarp

How young is too young?

jerm8352

My wife and I have doe antelope tags. My 3 year old son keeps bugging to come hunting (he is enormous for his size so everyone thinks he is 5 or so). My question to you all is how young were your kids when you started having them tag along. He has no problems hiking and loves to fish but hunting is a little different at least to me. Thanks for all the insight.

I have brought my kids as young as 1. Last year I was 5 miles back in the Madison range in the middle of a bugle fest in archery season when I heard a baby crying. Down the trail comes a guy and his wife with a 6 month old baby on a baby back pack.. They were bow hunting as well.. I would not hesitate to bring a 3 y/o lope hunting.. Other than the obvious safety precautions there is no such thing as too young.

Every kid/family is different. But here is what we did. Brought the kids hiking, camping and fishing since old enough to walk. Started plinking with .22s at 6 or so, started low recoil shells shooting clays with a little 870 compact jr at 8. Daughters never developed interest, son was super interested. I didn't start with him tagging along hunting until 8 yrs old. At that time our hunting was mostly ruffed grouse and pheasant - lots of walking and need to remain gun aware in the field with other guys and dogs - so I chose better safe than sorry. At eight my son walked empty handed, at nine he carried an empty 870 compact jr, at ten he was a full on hunter (but with 1 shell at a time), at eleven he got to fill the pump magazine, at twelve he got a little 20 ga semi-auto, at 15 he shoots full sized 20 & 12 ga and he may be the best shot in the group. As for rifle, he moved up from .22s to .223Rem for prairie dogs and targets at 12. Now he shoots a 7mm08 for deer/bear. It was a fun process - God I'm going to miss him when he goes to college.

Last edited:
My first hunt was antelope with my dad when I was 2. Of course it's totally up to you, but I would bring him along and take lots of pictures!

I started my kids with hunting by being observers in a spring turkey blind. If they got bored, could nap or read a book without the movement messing up the turkey hunt that day. First live fire activity for each kid was single-shot .22 with open sights plinking at cans. Then, 20 gauge shooting at blue rocks laying up agains a fence post. First hunts were with an adult while they turkey hunting with pump-action 20 gauge then deer hunting with scoped bolt-action .243. Next did trapshooting to build up some skill at moving target then began wingshooting for doves and ducks with 20 gauge. Were 14 before could go out alone and that was after consistent track record with gun safety and passing hunter's ed. They moved up to 12 gauge when got comfortable shooting a bigger boom.

My dad took my brother and I hunting very young. I was 5 and my brother was 7 when my dad shot his first archery bull elk in Colorado. Too bad we weren't too useful of packers at that age, and he ended up having to pack the whole thing by himself that day. This was before most people had cell phones. We didn't get off the mountain and back home until well into the night. Sure enough Mom was sitting in the living room worried sick, and had called the Sheriff. Dad bought one of those "pay for when you use it" cell phones before the next season.

I hope to take my kids pronghorn hunting at maybe 3 or 4. Hopefully younger since my wife will probably have the points to draw a good tag when we have super young ones.

I have brought my kids as young as 1. Last year I was 5 miles back in the Madison range in the middle of a bugle fest in archery season when I heard a baby crying. Down the trail comes a guy and his wife with a 6 month old baby on a baby back pack.. They were bow hunting as well.. I would not hesitate to bring a 3 y/o lope hunting.. Other than the obvious safety precautions there is no such thing as too young.

Pretty crazy someone would bring their kids back that far in a heavily infested grizz area

I took my son for the first time last year at age 3, he did great until it was time to close the distance. His whispering and mine differ greatly. That was during archery but rifle is a different story, he wore hearing pro and I didn't harp on him to be as quiet. But it was fun and well worth it, he went scouting with me this year on multiple occasions and won't stop talking about his turn to get one. He carries around my old binos and when he sees some game he gets pumped and lets me know he saw them first. haha. Archery is a stretch, so I'll continue to take him rifle hunting. I think it's important to take kids and to introduce them to a style of hunting that they can participate in. Antelope hunting is perfect. Lots of opportunity, they get to see game and success is usually high. I won't be taking him archery hunting elk just yet, but antelope and birds? You bet. Bring your kid along and have fun.

I think it could be a great thing to take the little guy but I would be prepared to alter my plans and expectations to make sure he has fun. If he is miserable, it could turn him off. On the other hand, sometimes a fellow needs a bit of time away from the ankle-biters, so no guilt leaving him home either, IMO.

I've been taking my boys with me since they were 4. My wife and I took our oldest camping when he was about 8 weeks. No such thing as too young. But like Ben Long said, be prepared to alter the plans and remember that it's more about fun with him, than hunting for you. It's more about the M&Ms and hot chocolate at that age anyway! You'll regret not taking them a hell of a lot more than taking them.

Took my son with me when he was 6 months old on an archery day hunt. Had a great time packing that little guy up the mountain with me. He was with me when I shot a whitetail doe when he was 1 1/2 years old. At 2 1/2 years old he was crawling beside me in the sagebrush as we hunted antelope. Sure it can make the hunt more challenging with a little one along but that's part of the fun. Make sure you keep them warm and fed, two very important things, and that they have fun! Do that and you will have them for life.

i think it could be a great thing to take the little guy but i would be prepared to alter my plans and expectations to make sure he has fun. If he is miserable, it could turn him off. On the other hand, sometimes a fellow needs a bit of time away from the ankle-biters, so no guilt leaving him home either, imo.

amen!

my two girls started when they came out of the womb. I had packed them around in car seats and backpacks while hunting. Sure they were easy hunts close to the truck or sitting in a blind in a field; but we didn't have the luxury of a baby sitter and my wife hunts as well. They both still enjoy getting out with us. My wife and I are actually going on an antelope hunt this fall where we won't have our girls (first time). I am thinking I will miss having them out there. My oldest is going through hunter ed right now.

There is some sacrifice to taking them but in my opinion the benefits outweigh the missed opportunities at animals. Have fun with him.

My wife and I took our son hunting for my wife's deer when he was about 8 weeks old. Granted we were only about 30 miles out of Las Vegas and it was only a day hunt. I went out and found a buck very close to the road, I showed it to her and I went back and stayed in the truck with my son while she went and shot it. We were back in town by about noon. It was the fastest hunt we have ever been on.

ysjS0gQ.jpg

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back