MTNTOUGH - Use promo code RANDY for 30 days free

How to cook grouse during fire ban?

Qubo

Want the bird hunters opinions. I’ll be hunting this week in Colorado with a friend. He has a muzzleloader elk tag and I’m doing the calling. I managed to pick up an archery deer tag after the draw so I’ll bring my both with. Since I have a small game license I was going to bring Judo points for grouse and cook over the fire. But there is a state wide fire ban right now. I have no reel bird cooking experience. We might be backpacking some of it so will only have jet boil. Rest of the time we’ll be at a camper. It has a propane stove and grill but no oven. Should I just save them until I get home? Or maybe just not shoot any. Thanks

I would also like to know more.

I wish it were something fancy. All I did was breast and debone a little grouse I shot. Dice that up and toss it into a boiling thing of water with Maruchan ramen noodles/seasoning. Cracked the bigger bones in there for some marrow but that was about as fancy as it got. Probably didn’t do it justice but I was young.

I passed on a bunch of grouse last week because of the fire ban. I could have shot about 6 of those goofy birds. It’s as if they are trying really hard to get away but don’t make it very far.

Bone everything but drumsticks. Slice the half breasts in half lengthways. Brown in frying pan with butter. Then cover boned meat with mushroom soup and simmer. Take along a bottle of liquid smoke to add that campfire flavour. I sprinkle in a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Flavoring is up to you.

I wish it were something fancy. All I did was breast and debone a little grouse I shot. Dice that up and toss it into a boiling thing of water with Maruchan ramen noodles/seasoning. Cracked the bigger bones in there for some marrow but that was about as fancy as it got. Probably didn’t do it justice but I was young.
I used to do this when I went through that "can't pass on shooting a grouse" stage. I did brown the chunks first but other than that, same, same....always good!

One of my most favorite events was an early archery elk hunt. We popped a few grouse, did the ole, stand on the wings and pull for presto breast meat, collected some last run huckleberries and service berries, found a pack of Ritz crackers (stuffed behind the rear truck seat from God knows when! Haha!), caught a few trout, olive oil, and spice pack.

Greased the pan, coated the trout and grouse (thin sliced) with a bit of olive oil, crushed coated both w/ritz, tossed the grouse thin sliced along the trout, pan cooked (granted over a fire though sub the jet boil) and finish it with warmed huckleberry marmalade.

One of my most favorite events was an early archery elk hunt. We popped a few grouse, did the ole, stand on the wings and pull for presto breast meat, collected some last run huckleberries and service berries, found a pack of Ritz crackers (stuffed behind the rear truck seat from God knows when! Haha!), caught a few trout, olive oil, and spice pack.

Greased the pan, coated the trout and grouse (thin sliced) with a bit of olive oil, crushed coated both w/ritz, tossed the grouse thin sliced along the trout, pan cooked (granted over a fire though sub the jet boil) and finish it with warmed huckleberry marmalade.
Uh, yum!!!

Grouse, boing pretty similar to chicken, boils quite well. If you’re looking to eat them in the field during a burn ban, just flay the meat from the bone and boil prices in some ramen.

Back at the camper there's a nice little cheat way to a nice dinner. You'll need any sort of pasta, some frozen broccoli, a jar of alfredo and some boned skinless grouse cut into pieces. Cook your pasta while sauteeing your grouse pieces in butter. Drop your broccoli in your pasta water for the last few minutes of cooking the pasta. Drain the pasta and broccoli and add it to the sauteeing grouse pieces. Stir it all up in the pan and add your alfredo sauce and stir it up constantly until it's warm. Add salt and pepper to taste and some grated parm on top. If you want and have the cold space, put a few pieces of garlic texas toast in the oven and eat with the pasta. There you have a gormetish dinner for hunting camp. Don't overcook the grouse. It's only going to take 3 or 4 minutes in a hot pan before it dries out.

Last edited:
Another easy dish... Cut up some onions and a green bell pepper small and sautee in butter until soft. Cut up some grouse and sautee it in a little butter with the onions and pepper. Dump in a can of ranch beans and a little BBQ sauce and eat in a bowl with some bread and butter.

Another one..... Skin and chunk some grouse and sautee in butter with onions and peppers. Do a boil in bag rice per directions. Drain off the butter from the grouse and veg mix and add some orange chicken chinese food sauce from the walmart oriental section to the grouse and veggies and heat up. Put a bed of rice down on a plate and top it with the grouse and veg in sauce.

Back