How much do you value your residency

Another reason I like interior Alaska is low taxes and fees.
  • Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs (like counties) levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
  • The average per-capita property tax paid in all municipalities, excluding oil and gas properties, was $1,435.
  • There is a exemption if you have to pay property tax, from the first $150,000 of assessed value for all senior citizens (65 years of age and over) and disabled veterans (50% or more service connected disability).
  • There is no state income tax.
  • There is no state sales tax.
  • Free hunting/fishing/trapping license to residents over 59 years of age.
  • Free over-the-counter tags for most big game such as Dall sheep, grizzly bear, moose, caribou, goat, Sitka blacktails, black bears, etc.
  • For vehicles over 8 years of age, no annual registration fees...just a one-time permanent registration.
  • No annual vehicle inspections.
  • No state fees or license requirements on firearms...either open carry or concealed.
Every member of the family received an annual Permanent Fund Dividend check.
This year each check will be $2,300.

Through college I rotated school every year through four states for ten years. Once I graduated the second time I got a job where I worked every year in a differant western state for 3-6 months. Always in remote tent camps. I saw and experienced things that most couldn't imagine.

After 12 years Montana put its NR license on a lottery. I sold my ranch, quit my federal job, took a $10,000/year cut in pay and moved home to Montana.

I still camped for 25 years but I moved camp every nite and visited every dark hole in the western half of the state yearly if not more often. I bought another ranch when they were affordable on the poverty wages the state paid but had the freedom to hunt where I wished and travel for days on horseback and never open a gate.

I truely understand the willingness to give it all up for freedom even now that some of mine is diminishing as the money is migrating to Montana and the sharing attitude is giving way to the 'its mine - keep out' attitude the the migrants seem to bring.

The really good news is that I don't need to go to town and when winter settles in a bunch of the migrants travel south and some don't come back. There is a lot to be said of -40 being cleansing weather of riff raff and bad dispositions. I glad I am old and won't have to put up with the migrants attitudes forever.

Last edited:
I’m pretty much stuck in WI for the next decade or two with kids and family. As for my residency, I imagine that the grass is greener in most other places. We have some great bear hunting (although slowly getting worse) in my corner of the state but it’s a solid 15 plus year wait for a tag due to creep now and we practically beg non residents to come here and hunt with their points ($4.50) and tags so cheap.

Deer hunting is good in spots if you own land. It could be pretty good here if I can come up with $250,000 and buy the right 60-120 acres. Of course with nonresident deer tags being OTC and a couple hundred dollars I could own land here and still hunt on cheap otc tags.

Lest I sound like a total rain cloud, turkeys have been good to me.

Almost forgot, I’ve got a 1/2000ish shot at a residents only elk tag with minimal trophy potential.

See ideally you travel all over when your young and by time your 30 ur over it. At least that was the case for me. I called 10 different states home in my 20s by time I hit 30 I was ready for some consistency...meeting a good woman helped a lot to. Haha. The goal was always to be out west tho. And @wllm1313 is just saying that because he moved from the beautiful west to Mass. thats just silly. 😋
30 is the new 20.
Just saying.

• Only 9 cities located outside of boroughs (like counties) levy a property tax; therefore, only 24 municipalities in Alaska (either cities or boroughs) levy a property tax.
  • The average per-capita property tax paid in all municipalities, excluding oil and gas properties, was $1,435.
  • There is a exemption if you have to pay property tax, from the first $150,000 of assessed value for all senior citizens (65 years of age and over) and disabled veterans (50% or more service connected disability).
  • Free over-the-counter tags for most big game such as Dall sheep, grizzly bear, moose, caribou, goat, Sitka blacktails, black bears, etc.
  • For vehicles over 8 years of age, no annual registration fees...just a one-time permanent registration.
  • No state fees or license requirements on firearms...either open carry or concealed.
So what your saying is AK is sustainable ;)

Co is okay, but we all know the downsides to living here. I'm not sentimentality attached to it, could take it or leave it.

Arizona has gone through some changes over the years. Most I dont agree with, but the ranch will not be sold while I am above ground.

My grandparents lived on it, my parents, myself, and currently my son and my granddaughter has said she wants to be next and is legally set up to do so.

I enjoyed and have no regrets from our/my time in California, South America and Europe. Wonderful places, great memories, but Arizona is "home"

Plus LV2HNT has some songs and brandy he wants to share with me and Dirtclod is raising a Road-runner for me ;)

Plus the Grand Canyon, the Elk on the Reservations, Coues deer, and Winslow is worth a look if you haven't seen it .

Well--Winslow, might be a stretch, but some here will get the reference

Yep. Something to think about when ordering a shoulder mount. Just finished my first fur & glass eyes at age 68. Now I can't figure out where to put the damn thing. Dad was happy enough to let my two elk caps hang on the wall at his place during my roaming years (little one is 49" inside beams) but I can't imagine he would have put up with shoulder mounts. Anyone under the age of forty is nuts keeping anything but caps and euros. Life is just too unsettled for young folks these days. They can always be made into shoulder/pedestal mounts at a later date if that's what turns your crank.

Haha. I'm 38, have a bear rug, full body lion mount, shoulder deer, a bunch of skulls.

I've been in the same house since 2013 and owned the lot since 2007. I am 4 years away from being able to bounce from my current position and have enough credits to collect that retirement check at 50.

It all depends on the person.

Now regarding the original question. I do value my residency here. I love my freedom.

The big game hunting could be a little better but it's all good.

I have hunted in California, my daughter killed her first deer in South Dakota of all places. Have had fishing licenses in Utah and Wyoming and applied various times in those two states.

Haha. I'm 38, have a bear rug, full body lion mount, shoulder deer, a bunch of skulls.

I've been in the same house since 2013 and owned the lot since 2007. I am 4 years away from being able to bounce from my current position and have enough credits to collect that retirement check at 50.

It all depends on the person.

Now regarding the original question. I do value my residency here. I love my freedom.

The big game hunting could be a little better but it's all good.

I have hunted in California, my daughter killed her first deer in South Dakota of all places. Have had fishing licenses in Utah and Wyoming and applied various times in those two states.
Where is "here"? You are obviously the exception. The good old days of a young person getting on at the plant out of high school and staying there till early retirement are long gone ... for most of this generation anyway. During my career I worked at least twenty different jobs and twice that many locations. It was mostly, but not always, by choice. That was extreme in the historical context but it's becoming less extraordinary in the current environment. Young people today need to be versatile and fluid. They need to be prepared both physically and mentally to change. A lot. I had my ten points veterans hiring preference and multiple university degrees that always kept doors open for employment. That was no accident. I always had a plan ... except for the low draft number back in 1971 that started it all. Have a Plan B ... because these days you need one.

Where is "here"? You are obviously the exception. The good old days of a young person getting on at the plant out of high school and staying there till early retirement are long gone ... for most of this generation anyway. During my career I worked at least twenty different jobs and twice that many locations. It was mostly, but not always, by choice. That was extreme in the historical context but it's becoming less extraordinary in the current environment. Young people today need to be versatile and fluid. They need to be prepared both physically and mentally to change. A lot. I had my ten points veterans hiring preference and multiple university degrees that always kept doors open for employment. That was no accident. I always had a plan ... except for the low draft number back in 1971 that started it all. Have a Plan B ... because these days you need one.

"Here" is rural Nevada. It's all in the mindset I guess.

It seems like some people have a need to move all the time.

Some don't. Some are content pretty easily and some not.

I have worked for 5 organizations in 22 years. 2 of those were summer/college/known term type jobs. One I worked for off and on for 5 years and one was a change I thought I wanted but didn't like. I have been with my current organization for 17 years.

Living in Western Colorado is still great great despite the Front Range controlling the vote. Things are changing on this side as well and not for the good.

I’m pretty much stuck in WI for the next decade or two with kids and family. As for my residency, I imagine that the grass is greener in most other places. We have some great bear hunting (although slowly getting worse) in my corner of the state but it’s a solid 15 plus year wait for a tag due to creep now and we practically beg non residents to come here and hunt with their points ($4.50) and tags so cheap.

Deer hunting is good in spots if you own land. It could be pretty good here if I can come up with $250,000 and buy the right 60-120 acres. Of course with nonresident deer tags being OTC and a couple hundred dollars I could own land here and still hunt on cheap otc tags.

Lest I sound like a total rain cloud, turkeys have been good to me.

Almost forgot, I’ve got a 1/2000ish shot at a residents only elk tag with minimal trophy potential.
Yep, I value my WI residency like I value the ticks and skeeters and deer flies. This state is not something to brag about for residence.

A lot. The only thing that rivals my residency is my family on the other side of the country. They will eventually be successful in guilt tripping me into a move somewhere closer. Even if I couldn't hunt I enjoy living in a unpopulated state with so much public land.

Alaska is maybe the only state you could get me to leave wyoming to live I.

Alaska is maybe the only state you could get me to leave wyoming to live I.
The downside to Alaska is not seeing the sun, or very little of it, for months on end. That takes a mental toll. Been there. I can handle the cold (we get -50 days here) and even the wind (I worked in eastern Montana), but living in the dark day after day, month after month gets to you.

The downside to Alaska is not seeing the sun, or very little of it, for months on end. That takes a mental toll. Been there. I can handle the cold (we get -50 days here) and even the wind (I worked in eastern Montana), but living in the dark day after day, month after month gets to you.
Yes, everywhere I've lived has had at least a month that is tough...
December has short days, but we usually travel for the holidays to visit family then. By the end of January we
are back to "normal" with civil twilight 8:38 am to 5:30 pm

Yes, everywhere I've lived has had at least a month that is tough...
December has short days, but we usually travel for the holidays to visit family then. By the end of January we
are back to "normal" with civil twilight 8:38 am to 5:30 pm
I agree . We do not have darkness for "months on end". Alaska is a large state. Residents south and east of Anchotage dont have any, totally dark days and the hunting in southern Alaska covers a rather large range of animals. Brown Bear, Black Bear, Goat, Deer, Moose, Caribou, Wolf, Elk, Sheep. you can also fish the ocean as well as the rivers .

Last edited:
Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
winchester 73
Back