Caribou Gear

How much do you value your residency

Mattff200

Just curious if I'm in similar company on here. I live in NE Wyoming and love the perks of being a Wyoming residency. On top of not really paying taxes there isn't a western state that treats its resident better. I recently had a recruiter approach me about taking a similar job in Northern Nevada as an accountant. I know I would have gotten a 15-20k. I quickly said I wasn't interested because I don't want to leave Wyoming. I live the ability to just buy a deer and elk tag at Walamrt and regularly draw a three antelope tags. I do all my hunting on public land. A close second reason was my hatred of moving but really the hunting perks was why I said no. Don't know if anyone else put here would have a similar mindset.

Wyoming is awesome, no doubt. Glad that you are not taking it for granted. WY or MT are likely the only 2
states I would even consider re-locating to.

After seeing the brutal point creep this year in some of these out of state draws, the grim future of
NR hunting opportunities set in. Was down in the dumps for a couple days, recognizing
that these sustained massive year over year applicant increases is not sustainable.

Then I remembered I have 5 or 6 guaranteed tags sitting in my nightstand and more public
land than I could explore in 5 lifetimes.

Wyoming is awesome, no doubt. Glad that you are not taking it for granted. WY or MT are likely the only 2
states I would even consider re-locating to.

After seeing the brutal point creep this year in some of these out of state draws, the grim future of
NR hunting opportunities set in. Was down in the dumps for a couple days, recognizing
that these sustained massive year over year applicant increases is not sustainable.

Then I remembered I have 5 or 6 guaranteed tags sitting in my nightstand and more public
land than I could explore in 5 lifetimes.
I moved here from NJ Ave only brought two bad driving Habbits. So I've only been here 2.5 years and hunted it a fair bit as a NR. I will never willingly live in a different state.

I moved to Las Vegas in 1989. Financially, it was a lateral move but I was just sick of the cold weather and temperature inversions in Salt Lake and not seeing the sun for weeks at a time. It didn't take long to become a desert rat. I love the sunshine.

I gave up hunting for 26 years but when I retired in 2015, I realized how much I missed it. I got back into archery hunting in 2016 and the last 5 years have been special. I don't regret moving here and I've drawn 2 resident elk tags plus hunted twice otc in Utah.

I forget who but I wise man once said, "never move just for the money because the extra money can't buy extra happiness".

I appreciate being able to afford to hunt multiple weeks in the Western states while on paid vacation.

I like that I don’t take big swathes of public land wildlife habitat for granted just because it is so close and accessible.

I’m glad small towns appreciate out of state hunters and treat me nice when I shop in their stores.

I like that I get to enjoy the wild lands without putting up with small town pettiness and limited opportunities.

As an out of state hunter I experience these places through rose colored glasses and the Dopamine dump of my own personal adventure story.

I've lived on the banks of a blue ribbon trout stream 5 miles from where a former state record mule deer was killed and never made the effort to appreciate those things the same way as I have when I drove 18 hours to get to them.

Some things and some places are best visited and remembered as brief experiences and appreciated for their limited nature.

Last edited:
My happiness with my residency here in CO is dwindling steadily. I see the writing on the wall with the trends here, the prices are going up, point creep, let alone the toilet the politics are headed etc. I have about 2 years until I can move out of the city to the country but it looks like it probably won't be here.

I really do miss IN sometimes as I love hunting WTs in the hardwoods, miss my friends, and generally love the state EXCEPT for the humidity and bugs half the year.

One day when I'm dead, I'll leave Alaska, maybe.

Luckily we haven't seen the influx of stupid here, yet.

I'm in a pretty good place in my career and life that it would take a lot for me to leave. Hard to not like 6 weeks of vacation plus holidays... and no boss. :) The hunting and fishing perks aren't half bad either. I've done 4 once in a lifetime type trips for most people in the last 4 weeks. Packed 250lbs of fish in the freezer, picked up some big ass moose antlers, chased some bears, took my kids fishing and camping, on and on. Will be hunting sheep, caribou, bears, probably deer, and may tag along on a goat hunt this fall. Lots of fishing yet to do this year as well.. No place beats where I live. WY is the only place I could see myself move to, but it would be out of desperation. Montana is a distant 3rd. I'd move to Canada before either I think.

I love Oklahoma the people, and way of life are the best. I do wish the hunting opportunities were a little more varied and public land more available. Wyoming is the one place I've seriously considered moving but that was after marriage and kids and I could never rip the grandkids away from their grandparents plus the wife hates the cold. Turned down a job in Houston were I would've made 3x the money. After experiencing a week of Houston traffic I realized that this country boy wasn't made for the city.

We moved from TX to CO, thinking that would be wonderful and gave up good jobs for the serenity and beauty of Colorado.
BIG mistake!
Relocated back to TX.
Stayed 20 years until retirement.
Relocated from TX to OK.
This move was pretty bland ... except for having to pay state income tax.
The deer hunting in OK is surprisingly good. I've killed more deer and bigger deer in OK than I ever did in TX ... but I swapped a 2 month (Nov - Dec) deer season for a 3 week (1 week Primitive Arms, 2 weeks Regular Gun) season.

I'm one of the ding dongs who moved from Wyoming in order for a promotion to take place. To Kansas. Now that I'm two years into the new job and location, I'm looking at multiple avenues to get back, fortunately I have the option of transferring to the Denver, Boise or Billings offices in my current position. Looking at Denver but living in Wyo, the commute is worth the residency.

Having access to public ground is something to hold close, trust me, the money isn't worth it.

But to get back to your question, it's not really the residency I miss or took for granted, it's the freedom of the west that trump's the money of the east.

Now let's talk about the ridiculous housing market in Wyo-Col and I might change my mind...

Alaska residents free over-the-counter tags for most species including Dall sheep, grizzly bear, moose, etc.
Lots of public land with no competition from other hunters.
Long season (Aug 10 sheep/caribou to late Nov Sitka blacktails)
No sales tax or state income tax.
A substantial annual Permanent Fund Dividend check for every member of the family.
Free hunting/fishing/trapping license for residents over 59 years old.
Waiver on first $150,000 of property tax for residents over 64 years old.
Anyone 21 or older who may legally possess a firearm can carry concealed or open. A firearms permit is not required.
Little traffic...no traffic lights in 350 miles from North Pole to Valdez, no traffic lights in 150 miles Fairbanks to Circle, 500 miles Fairbanks to Prudoe
Dry, warm summers with long days.
June_weather_forecast.JPG

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back